🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

We have some options - what do you want to do?

Started by
76 comments, last by khawk 20 years, 11 months ago
Please anything but option #2. If we don''t get anything, then the only thing left for us is suicide!
Advertisement
I vote for #3. May be make a poll about this?
Maybe one cause of a crash is that one of the textures in the demo is 256x254, ie. an odd size. Perhaps some video or OpenGL drivers cannot handle it.
Steve 'Sly' Williams  Monkey Wrangler  Krome Studios
turbo game development with Borland compilers
the way i see this thing, people want to start now, so they choose option 1. however, this means that it won''t be a fair contest, only those people lucky enough to avoid bugs will be able to win.

option 2 is more fair, but it will take awhile, and the option 1 people that want to go now will get very very angry.

option 3 allows the people who want to start soon to start soon, while leaving the contest to be far more fair when actual prizes are at stake (granted, this option is still a little bit unfair, as those with working machines will have more experience, but it is still far more fair than option 1).

So i choose option 3 hands down.

-MSkinn99

What''s done is done (Until you hit Undo)
Two wrongs don''t make a right; but 3 lefts do.
You''d be paranoid too if everyone was out to get you.

Yet another game programming web page...
-MSkinn99What's done is done (Until you hit Undo) :)Two wrongs don't make a right; but 3 lefts do.You'd be paranoid too if everyone was out to get you.
Yet another game programming web page...
Kevin, why don''t you get a few people and have them help you work on it? It would get done faster and everyone wouldn''t have to worry about if they can participate or not. I can run the demo fine (Except on exit), but others seem to be worried about it. I''m not saying you can''t do it your self (for christ sakes, you wrote a book), but it would take a lot of stress off of you. Just an idea?

My answer would be 2. That way, like I said, everyone gets a fair chance.

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"
I have to say 3. It would be kind of cool if you just gave a small prize that cost GameDev nothing. Like where it says "moderator" or "village idiot" next to the name you could put "arena champion" or something. Just a thought.
Out of the three options presented, I feel number 3 is the best choice.

Yes it does push the actaull contest back into first semester, however this is unavoidable. Option 1 is unfair to those who can''t run it, simple as that.

I think most people would choose 3 over 2 anyday. Since the interfaces will be known people who can''t run the arena can still begin writing code or atleast planing things out.
option 3 seems to be the best comprimise for all people involed that way even if the exe doesn't run on your computer you can still enter the contest for the experince. Also I think most people who want to particapte are more interested in the competion and challenge then winning the prize.

Also since the arean is untested engine who know what kind of runtime errors may develop.

[edited by - TechnoGoth on July 17, 2003 6:55:40 AM]
I vote for option 3. GD: Arena has the possibility of being a fun, long-term contest (you know, maybe a contest every 3 or 6 months). There is no need to rush into the first contest right away. Let''s take our time with this and make sure the executable is solid and has room for expansion for later contests.

That said, I am voting for 3 over 2 because I think the bugs and whatnot can be ironed out more thoroughly with a dry-run contest. Make it a flexible scheduling contest, maybe extending for 3 or 4 months. Allow the community to gain skill at programming their bots, while the executable is refined and the rules are fleshed out. And then, later this year (or next, or some other appropriate time), we can have a full-clown contest. The executable will be "prime-time" ready, and the contestants will be more evenly-matched.

Just my thoughts...

|.dev-c++.|.the gimp.|.seti@home.|.dbpoweramp.|.torn.|.=w=.|

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement