🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

We have some options - what do you want to do?

Started by
76 comments, last by khawk 20 years, 11 months ago
Option 3... Lets face it, only one person is ever going to win the prize anyway, and in this scenario they would just have a little tougher opposition. Plus it gives Michalson time to run thousands of generations of ga's! (Something which I intend to at least try.... (and fail miserably))

Plus I get to read the whole of my Ai book!
A couple of months extra till anything starts sounds really bad I don't know about everyone else but I'm really hyped about this contest. Besides, in a couple of months my second year of Uni'll start so I won't have time to do anything

[edited by - Xgkkp on July 16, 2003 2:31:12 PM]
Advertisement
Without going into any useful detail, 3. Consider the fun contest an open beta.
quote: Original post by Xgkkp
Option 3... Lets face it, only one person is ever going to win the prize anyway, and in this scenario they would just have a little tougher opposition. Plus it gives Michalson time to run thousands of generations of ga''s! (Something which I intend to at least try.... (and fail miserably))

Plus I get to read the whole of my Ai book!
A couple of months extra till anything starts sounds really bad I don''t know about everyone else but I''m really hyped about this contest. Besides, in a couple of months my second year of Uni''ll start so I won''t have time to do anything

[edited by - Xgkkp on July 16, 2003 2:31:12 PM]

Hey, not everyone entering the contest is a newbie, you know. Yeah, school starts for me again in a couple of months as well, I''d like a contest before then, but I''d like it to be worth competing in too.

option 1. Don''t want to wait, waiting two months means that I will not be able to enter.

Do it now!
I''m going to say option three as well. I simply can''t wait to get crackin''. This will be my first venture into AI, so I''m quite excited.

And as most of the people prior to my posting have said, it will be a chance to flesh out the Arena code even more, to provide a better "real" contest down the line.

If you do decide to release the source code to certain individuals for improvement or whatever, I''ve got plenty of time on my hands.
-Sartak
3!

School starts soon, and then I won''t have time to enter ''Sides, I''m getting impatient.

Wouldn''t it be possible to make a simple 2D or even console (ASCII) version, so that people with old/bad computers could run it?
1 all the way. For many people it is the holidays now, in 2 months less people will have the time. More importantly I think that half of the people who have said 3, will have lot interest in 2 months. 3 to me is just a weak version of 1. 1 is the same as 3, except that the wait is longer(a year instead of 2 months), there are prizes and the next version in a year will be better than it will in 2 months.

Finally, if you go for 3, I doubt there will be any chance that it will be released in 2 months, as people have said before, it will just keep slipping.

3 is the easy way out, do the proper thing and go for 1
I think that option #2 is the fairest option. Option #1 leaves people with incompatible systems out in the cold completely, and option #1 conveys a distinct advantage to those with a compatible system, because they''ll have more programming time. Option #2, (with bug fixes only, no added functionality) is my vote.
quote: Original post by higherspeed
1 all the way. For many people it is the holidays now, in 2 months less people will have the time. More importantly I think that half of the people who have said 3, will have lot interest in 2 months. 3 to me is just a weak version of 1. 1 is the same as 3, except that the wait is longer(a year instead of 2 months), there are prizes and the next version in a year will be better than it will in 2 months.

Finally, if you go for 3, I doubt there will be any chance that it will be released in 2 months, as people have said before, it will just keep slipping.

3 is the easy way out, do the proper thing and go for 1

Option 1 is definantly the way to go. I''m not sure how many people are in this situation, but I''d really like to get the real contest over with before I''m in the middle of the first semester this year.

I vote #3

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement