🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

We have some options - what do you want to do?

Started by
76 comments, last by khawk 20 years, 11 months ago
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Khawk
quote: Original post by CodeDemon
Man, some of the replies so far are scaring me. I was really looking forward to entering a worth while contest. It is true that the current executable is buggy. I fixed the main slow-down/white screen problem by replacing the 11MB model with a more light-weight one, and shrinking the textures to reasonable sizes. A lot of systems just couldn''t handle the unoptimized resources.

My main concern is that by having an unofficial contest or by releasing the source code, there no longer is any competition left among players for the official contest: everyone will have access to the resources necessary to make super bots.

I am actually looking into this (the changing of the model).. I have not tried another model yet, but if it makes the contest more accessible, we might go ahead with it while I rewrite what I would like to rewrite. The executable may still crash occassionally, but since that crash is primarily during shutdown, it may still be worth running the official contest now (option 1), or maybe even a mix of options 1 and 3, which was my original plan.

As for open source, I do not want to do that. Not for a while anyway..

Yeah, I don''t want to be pressuring you either, as I wouldn''t want you to neglect your most recent "find". I say that if you can fix it up so that it runs somewhat reasonably, within a couple more days, then run the contest; otherwise, go with 3 or a mix of 1 and 3.
Yeah, I''m thinking 3 sounds good too... especially since I wasn''t really worried about the idea of prizes anyway, I just want to try to get some AI experience.
WNDCLASSEX Reality;......Reality.lpfnWndProc=ComputerGames;......RegisterClassEx(&Reality);Unable to register Reality...what's wrong?---------Dan Uptonhttp://0to1.orghttp://www20.brinkster.com/draqza
3 MAN! Let''s have us some fun while kevin works on the final version. It''s like downloading the demo, it has flaws and isn''t quite as feature packed or pretty as the full thing, but it keeps u occupied until the full game comes out.

(Stolen from Programmer One)
UNIX is an operating system, OS/2 is half an operating system, Windows is a shell, and DOS is a boot partition virus

but i am kinda an open fire and let god sort out the casualties person
Brett Lynnescheez_keeper@hotmail.com
I vote for 3. Mostly because I just want something to play with and because I know that I wouldn''t be winning any prizes anyway

Qui fut tout, et qui ne fut rien
Invader''s Realm
Having not read every post in this thread (busy right now) I think option 3 is the best.

John B
The best thing about the internet is the way people with no experience or qualifications can pretend to be completely superior to other people who have no experience or qualifications.
I''ve no comment on options 2 or 3, but I must recommend against option 1... Many people appear ready to have much fun w/ this contest, let us endeavor to avoid raining on their parade.

We''ve waited this long, we can afford to wait a little longer. There''s no rush. If worse comes to worst and the delay is as much as 2 months, we can always entertain ourselves in the meantime w/ the Extreme VB Forums battleship contest or the AI Junkies emergent behavior contest.

Love & Peace ^_^v
Capt. Jean-Luc Pikachu
Love & Peace ^_^vCapt. Jean-Luc Pikachu
I like option 3. It allows anyone who may be entering the contest to see how everything works and see how their bot design works up againsts other peoples so they can then improve it for the prize contest. It would also mean you get a wide range of testers on many machines and get better feedback on what people want.

I''d say option 3. Maybe you can still have a prize but make it something cheap so that no one gets too upset about loosing due to some technical issue. This will give you a chance to work out the bug in the Arena code and with the contest itself.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement