🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

We have some options - what do you want to do?

Started by
76 comments, last by khawk 20 years, 11 months ago
I''d say go with #1

It worked well on all my PCs, which have different configs / OS...

As for the problems with downloads... CDR are cheap as hell, and almost everyone has broadband connections nowadays... so I guess it would be pretty easy to ask a friend to download it for you or even get it from an internet cafe or something.

For the compatibility issue... I guess only people with exotic videocards are experiencing problems?
Advertisement
i don''t see why you can''t just release the arena/specs as is, now, as a beta for the whole system. let us play with it, test it, critique it, and form some "unofficial" arena tournaments of our own to help shake out the bugs.

then when you feel comfortable that the arena code is as fair as you can make it, and as flexible as you want it, you can begin the official tournaments in whatever order you feel like. if you''ve set things up correctly by then you should be able to give a new set of specs for those tournaments. or leave the specs fixed for the "for fun" tournament and only change them to something more complicated for the "for prize" tournament.

i''m really only saying all of this because i''m selfish and want to start now! if i have to choose between one of the options, i''d go for #3. i''m also saying this because i probably am not going to be around in another couple of months so i will miss out on the fun.
I would opt for Option 3. This would give you a chance to work out bugs that may only appear when someone is writting and running their bot in the arena. These wouldn''t necessaraly be crash bugs, but logic type bugs. This would also allow for the arena API to be tweaked if need be before the official contest begins.

I would also agree with making the Arena core Open Source so that others can help develop the arena code, which should make it more stable in the long run. Of course you would be in charge of what was approved for changes, and what was not. I feel that making the arena core open source would not give anyone an advantage over anyone else as the competition is in writing the bot AI and not how well you can interface with the Arena.

- Timothy
I''d stick to Option #3. It would really help you out to remove the bugs, while allowing everyone to begin the develop of their bots. I also agree with the idea of making the arena Open Source, or at least asking for some (let say 3) developers to help you making it so it can get ready earlier and better. Wheter those guys can participate or not will be up to you.
I vote for Option 4, which is the option where no contest is held, and I get all the prizes anyway.

Trent Polack
www.polycat.net
trent@polycat.net
Author of Focus on 3D Terrain Programming
"Let Us Now Try Liberty"-- Frederick Bastiat
Man, some of the replies so far are scaring me. I was really looking forward to entering a worth while contest. It is true that the current executable is buggy. I fixed the main slow-down/white screen problem by replacing the 11MB model with a more light-weight one, and shrinking the textures to reasonable sizes. A lot of systems just couldn''t handle the unoptimized resources.

My main concern is that by having an unofficial contest or by releasing the source code, there no longer is any competition left among players for the official contest: everyone will have access to the resources necessary to make super bots.
My vote goes to #3. Just think of it as a beta test tournament or something. There should be no prizes, not even a title next to the name or anything, as that would be unfair to those who can''t get it running right away. It''ll give you time to stabilize the exe, and it''ll give us time to get used to how the bots work, which will make the first official contest much more interesting and enjoyable. I also like the idea of people running there own unofficial tournaments. That could get some really good competition going.
__________________________________________________________America seems to like crap because its what we make popular. - Goober King
quote: Original post by CodeDemon
Man, some of the replies so far are scaring me. I was really looking forward to entering a worth while contest. It is true that the current executable is buggy. I fixed the main slow-down/white screen problem by replacing the 11MB model with a more light-weight one, and shrinking the textures to reasonable sizes. A lot of systems just couldn''t handle the unoptimized resources.

My main concern is that by having an unofficial contest or by releasing the source code, there no longer is any competition left among players for the official contest: everyone will have access to the resources necessary to make super bots.

I am actually looking into this (the changing of the model).. I have not tried another model yet, but if it makes the contest more accessible, we might go ahead with it while I rewrite what I would like to rewrite. The executable may still crash occassionally, but since that crash is primarily during shutdown, it may still be worth running the official contest now (option 1), or maybe even a mix of options 1 and 3, which was my original plan.

As for open source, I do not want to do that. Not for a while anyway..

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement