🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

We have some options - what do you want to do?

Started by
76 comments, last by khawk 20 years, 11 months ago
Kevin, when are u going to finallize this? It looks like the majority of the populous likes #3. Let''s get the show on the road, plz get the bot generator out there and give us a link to it and the documentation.

(Stolen from Programmer One)
UNIX is an operating system, OS/2 is half an operating system, Windows is a shell, and DOS is a boot partition virus
Advertisement
quote: Original post by cowsarenotevil
3, but I''d like either a personal tag, or maybe Moderator for a Day (or longer if the winner behaves )

Hey I think a prize of an official Gamedev.net forums personal tag is a great idea!
quote: Original post by Dragon88
Kevin, when are u going to finallize this? It looks like the majority of the populous likes #3. Let''s get the show on the road, plz get the bot generator out there and give us a link to it and the documentation.

(Stolen from Programmer One)
UNIX is an operating system, OS/2 is half an operating system, Windows is a shell, and DOS is a boot partition virus

Um, this isn''t my fulltime job. I still need to finish the documentation, but I will release the bot generator and interface soon. Also, I''m wanting to get the exe as stable as possible. I think it''s just about there, though, so we can start moving on.

Right now I think we''ll do something like option 3, but I haven''t determined exactly how we''ll work it out. Plus, I''m going out of town this weekend, so next week is looking to be when the goods will be released.

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote: Original post by Khawk
Um, this isn''t my fulltime job.

*coughs and points at the people who said ''get some other people to help out coding it*

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.
Enginuity1 | Enginuity2 | Enginuity3

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

quote: Original post by superpig
Um, this isn''t my fulltime job.

*coughs and points at the people who said ''get some other people to help out coding it*

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.

Heh, at this point it would take longer for that group to get organized and working together on this than it would to start and run the contest. And also, there is no guarantee in virtual groups that the tasks will be completed both on time and with good quality. Then there''s the whole management aspect, the code ownership aspect, legalities, coordination, and so on.. the drawbacks just outweigh the benefits for this.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Heh, at this point it would take longer for that group to get organized and working together on this than it would to start and run the contest. And also, there is no guarantee in virtual groups that the tasks will be completed both on time and with good quality. Then there''s the whole management aspect, the code ownership aspect, legalities, coordination, and so on.. the drawbacks just outweigh the benefits for this.

True for most teams, but if you''re hand-picking people from the massive user base this site has to offer, you can be assured that you''ve got people who know what they''re doing...

Though this was all, of course, merely a ploy to try and get someone using Enginuity for something relevant. Oh well.

Superpig

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Why not create a Known Issues page including solutions found by testers like:

- changing the texture size
- downsizing models
- going into compabibility mode under XP

...and then go with option #1?
Option 3! I also like the comment on the first page by someone who said to just release the specs and API and let us go nuts on our own until a contest is ready. Thats the option I would pick if it were an option

Brian J
DL Vacuum - A media file organizer I made | Mumbling Miles - A band I was the guitarist/vocalist for
Brian J
How about #2, or #3, and do 4e4 ^___^

The GD:Arena binary crashes on my comp so #1 would suck

- Thomas

[edited by - cow_in_the_well on July 20, 2003 9:13:48 PM]

- Thomas Cowellwebsite | journal | engine video

I think it would be a very good idea to let people play with everything and break stuff for a while so that we can have a legitimate contest later for prizes. No point in having prizes if there''s a (reasonable) chance someone will get screwed because of a bug.

I''m for something soon, and I''d like a "no pressure" period to play around.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement