Advertisement

Windows Millineum

Started by March 09, 2000 11:57 AM
61 comments, last by Deluxe 24 years, 6 months ago
"without windows there would be no PCs"

lol

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

I''m not saying Bills Gates is god... I''m just saying that we probably wouldn''t be where we are with computers if it wasn''t for him. Some people act like Linux is god... (it''s not cause they don''t have any freaking good games)
Does anyone listen to Destiny''s Child, TLC, or Sammie?
Advertisement
I''m not saying Bills Gates is god... I''m just saying that we probably wouldn''t be where we are with computers if it wasn''t for him. Some people act like Linux is god... (it''s not cause they don''t have any freaking good games)
Does anyone listen to Destiny''s Child, TLC, or Sammie?
Spellbound: To find out about BeOS go to www.be.com

tons of info.

bcj
I just have to say my part to...

Ok, Windows is a hit. mostley beacuse it commes with all new computers.

Bill Gates WAS cool... when he was a Hippie-nerd, way back in time that is...

I cant say that i LOVE Windows, but, hey! most games are made for it, everybody has it etc. if you wanna do internet, have unix, if you wanna do.. whatever... use Linux, if you''r a mainstream user, use Windows!

This is all my oppinion offcourse...

Sorry about the crappy english, im from Sweden...

/Jonatan Hedborg

=======================Game project(s):www.fiend.cjb.net
I just have to say my part to...

Ok, Windows is a hit. mostley beacuse it commes with all new computers.

Bill Gates WAS cool... when he was a Hippie-nerd, way back in time that is...

I cant say that i LOVE Windows, but, hey! most games are made for it, everybody has it etc. if you wanna do internet, have unix, if you wanna do.. whatever... use Linux, if you''r a mainstream user, use Windows!

This is all my oppinion offcourse...

Sorry about the crappy english, im from Sweden...

/Jonatan Hedborg
=======================Game project(s):www.fiend.cjb.net
Advertisement
Josh: I have 2 computers, with very different hardware configs in each; I also maintain all the Windows PCs at my dad's work. Nothing crashes. Odd? I still think the problem is shoddy drivers...

Why? I use my computer from 7:30 A.M to 10:00 P.M., playing DOS games in a Windows DOS box. Sometimes I have 10-20 windows open, browse the Internet, play DX games, etc. all at the same time...and I've never once had it crash on me...oops! Lords of the Realm 2 crashes, but that's actually because REALLY bad network programming -- single player runs for hours without crashing. So, maybe it's shoddy drivers AND shoddy programmers...

Good Luck!

- null_pointer

Edited by - null_pointer on 3/10/00 4:27:25 PM
quote: Original post by null_pointer

I have 2 computers, with very different hardware configs in each; I also maintain all the Windows PCs at my dad''s work. Nothing crashes. Odd? I still think the problem is shoddy drivers...

Whereas I just have MS Windows 98 SE, MS Office 97, MS Frontpage 2000, and MS IE5 installed... and it tends to spontaneously reboot when I am using IE Seems like MS are to blame -somehow- Shoddy drivers? Funny, most people say that drivers under linux are undersupported but I never got spontaneous reboots there All the drivers I am using were from the Win98 CD, and a matrox graphics card + soundblaster are hardly nonstandard peripherals.

Also... how come browsers on Windows are so unstable? Yet I''ve never had a single crash or lockup with Netscape on Linux? The common denominator here is MS code.

IMO... Windows has been good for a lot of reasons and suited to many purposes. But it is no longer leading the field on merit, merely by aggressive marketing. By taking a slight step backwards, in the interests of getting stable code with open standards, Linux now provides a better base from which to build the desktop OS for the next decade.
i got a CD from a comp mag. started the installation.

4 words! sick nerdy geeky stuff!

the installation ran smoothly with around 2000 questions of which i could answer around 1999 of them though an average user would find it impossible to do so. and the excuse of a GUI which is not even in the same league of Windows. and try to uninstall something from Linux. it''s a ^&T*^% pain in the ... posterior! and no need to talk anything about installing something. it''s such a pain that i''ll have to use language which''ll definitely get me kicked out of here and i''d get a lifetime ban! and i need to leave urgently on an errand and i cannot seem to shut down. it takes forever.

Startup: windows 1 min
linux 6 mins (est cos i woke up an hour later)

Shutdown: win 8 secs
linux 4 mins

installation: win - full support - installsheild
linux - no support - no installs

uninstallation: win - 1 min with some leftover dll
linux - 20 mins with the whole thing left over

installation size: win 200mb
linux 1.1GB(min)
2.1GB(max)

games: win (yes)
linux (nada)

other software support: win lots
linux (pity suuport by some)

these are facts

Raptor
Startup:
Any OS, completely dependant on how many drivers you load...Linux is faster(this includes loading Xwindows).

Shutdown:
Linux IS a bit slower, but it''s verbose and tells me what it''s doing...Windows occasionally locks up on exit.
I don''t care if Linux takes 30 seconds to kill all it''s processes, at least it doesn''t hang at a pretty cloud picture with "Please wait while windows shuts down".

installation:
Windows,easy enough...but must reboot.
Linux, RPMs and gzips.

uninstallation:
win - 1 min with some leftover dll
Linux, RPMs or delete the directory. Man that''s tough!

installation size:
win 200mb
linux 1.1GB(min)
2.1GB(max)
You got linux off 1 CD and it took up 2gigs?
A 2gig CD...wow, that''s amazing. My Redhat was 800meg for a FULL install...plus 150 for a swap partition. Did you account for the windows swap file? If not, you must have such a powerfull system that you don''t need virtual memory.
If that''s the case, you must also have at least 10-15 gigs of disk space...so who cares if it was 2gigs.

games: Windows, yes.
linux: once "wine"(WINdows Emulator) can make use of directx, the games will work fine.

Here''s another catagory you forgot.
Windows, had many years to get where it is today, and it''s far from perfect.
Linux, although based off unix basically(which has been around for quite some time)...it''s in it''s infancy. It will grow, companies will support it.
Guess what, you''re right...it is sort of hard to learn where everything is at first. I''m still learning the finer points myself, but you make it sound next to impossible to use. If it was as big a turd as you say, nobody would use it. People wouldn''t wade through tons of crap just because they don''t like windows.
It''s your opinion, but you site poor examples in your attempt try to "prove" Windows to be better.
Time will tell.

When life hands you lemons, throw them at God's head.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement