Advertisement

Windows Millineum

Started by March 09, 2000 11:57 AM
61 comments, last by Deluxe 24 years, 6 months ago

Some of you geniuses should read-up on Gates'' (somewhere other than a Linux site) before you speak. The man has done a lot and the PC industry would be no where near where we are today without his insight.

Still Learning...
Still Learning...
Can you site specific examples of how he''s advanced the hardware frizb?
And yes we would be "somewhere near" where we are today even if he Gates wasn''t born. I can''t say how it would''ve gone down without the existance of a Gates, but there are lots of smart people pushing things to the next level. It''s all been a natural progression and no one man has done it...I think no one man has ever done anything by himself.

I''m not linux biased.
I like Windows.
And as far as the window concept is concerned, it doesn''t matter who made it I guess...it would have eventually been made(I mean, what the hell else are we gonna use?).
I''m sure I''ll eat those words in the future when we see the next level of OS, I can''t imagine using anything other than a GUI with "windows" though.

When life hands you lemons, throw them at God's head.
Advertisement
Since I was 7 I used an MSX, Microsoft
I used MS-DOS, Microsoft
I use Windows, Microsoft

If I then knew there was something else, I''d probably used that... Now I know there is something else, something better, BeOS... but now it''s too late

Yeah, Microsoft has done a lot of good things for the industry... They make great applications.. but their OSes stink.

BTW, Windows Millenium should be canceled.. it''s so damn rotten inside

b
The question is what the PC industry would be without Windows? A really fragmented, small area of technology for the really technical people. Could you honestly say you would do better without any Windows technology at all?

The problem with Windows (the 9x series) has been backward compability with older programs. What if MS decided to stop using the unstable and bad code from DOS in Win95? How would that be?
It''s an evil circle, MS want to make a clean start with new and stable code, but that''ll make older software incompatible and developers as well as end-uses pretty pissed.

MS has had a big responsibility for the future of PC computing, and they haven''t made the best possible, but please don''t say "they suck" because without them, we would be in an even worse situation.

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
We''re off topic, but I''ll go with the flow.

The clean rewrite you''re looking for is called BeOS. And no, it''s not too late. Start developing now!

Lack

Christianity, creationism, metric, Dvorak, and BeOS for all!
Lack
Christianity, Creation, metric, Dvorak, and BeOS for all!
We''re off topic, but I''ll go with the flow.

The clean rewrite you''re looking for is called BeOS. And no, it''s not too late. Start developing now!

Lack

Christianity, creationism, metric, Dvorak, and BeOS for all!
Lack
Christianity, Creation, metric, Dvorak, and BeOS for all!
Advertisement
asmLOCK This is for You

Gates = God
Linux != cool
Linux instead= Useless Jaybird
You = Nerdy Geek

Mac is actually copied from Microsoft BOB.
The windows line up is the best thing that could happen to the PC

you cant deny it. tell me why 95% of the PC Users use windows, ease of use, hardware support etc.

your stupid linux has no version compatibility, no standard
+ there r a billion versions of linux alone caldera, corel, redshit. a developer will suffer again

let me see any linux free software beat the microsoft sales

where are sw''s like powerbuilder, delphi. same thing will happen to java, LINUX. wait and watch. win2k is their lates golden bullet

Raptor
quote: Original post by MetalWorX
Mac is actually copied from Microsoft BOB.

That is totally untrue. It all started at Xerox where they created what is today known as the WIMP system. While MacOS was first being used, DOS was being written. Before Windows 3 came out (the first "useable" version) there were many OS's that were using the WIMP system (AmigaOS, MacOS, whatever the OS was called on the Atari ST).

Linux is a very good operating system, but I feel that it will remain in the domain of the developer and super user for the time being.

However, my experience with BeOS has been extremely positive and I will be there to download BeOS 5 the day it comes out (its free for home use FYI).

The BeOS and Linux bits are opinion. The rest is fact.

Edited by - vallis on 3/10/00 6:11:49 AM
If there was no Windows there would be no PC. If there was no PC there would be no Linux. If their was no MS there would be no Apple. MS gave over $180 million dollars to help Apple. MS also created most of the software that Apple needed to get going. Bill Gates and Paul Allen helped Apple create MacOS and Gates/Allen worked for Apple for a little while...

Edited by - Deluxe on 3/10/00 6:26:51 AM
Does anyone listen to Destiny''s Child, TLC, or Sammie?
quote: Original post by Deluxe

If there was no Windows there would be no PC. If there was no PC there would be no Linux.

Correction: If there was no Windows, there would be another OS similar to Windows made by another entrepreneur like Bill Gates.

Don''t get me wrong - I like Windows. I think Windows 2000 is currently the best OS for any platform. I just hate the way people credit so much to Microsoft. They have changed a lot of things and made some things better, easier and more available. However, they have also completely and utterly broken things and messed things up (think Java).

My 2 cents.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement