Advertisement

Windows Millineum

Started by March 09, 2000 11:57 AM
61 comments, last by Deluxe 24 years, 6 months ago
PCs were around a long time before Windows and they will be around a long time after Windows.

I personally believe that when the mainstream consumer market realizes that there are operating systems out there that don''t crash three or four times a day, that are secure, AND don''t cost ANYTHING, that''s when Windows will die.

The hardware support for alternative OSs is gaining rapidly. Hardware vendors are realizing that more and more people are using non-MS operating systems and providing drivers for those OSs. Eventually, operating systems such as Linux will have the hardware support that Windows does, and then consumers will truly be happy.

I cannot wait for that blissful day

Josh
http://www.jh-software.com
Joshhttp://www.jh-software.com
quote: Original post by MetalWorX

Mac is actually copied from Microsoft BOB.

Heh. See previous post regarding Xerox.

quote:

The windows line up is the best thing that could happen to the PC

you cant deny it. tell me why 95% of the PC Users use windows, ease of use, hardware support etc.

Lack of choice, largely through MS dirty tricks suppressing all alternatives. Corel Linux is quickly catching Windows in terms of user-friendliness. Hardware support in Linux is getting better all the time, whereas Win2000 is notoriously bad for hardware support...

quote:

your stupid linux has no version compatibility, no standard
+ there r a billion versions of linux alone caldera, corel, redshit. a developer will suffer again

Funny, you can run the same stuff on all those ''different'' versions of Linux almost without exception. Where do you get these weird ideas about incompatibility between versions? As for standards... well, the Linux standards tend to be out in the open, whereas MS standards tend to be of a lower ''standard'' and hidden away so only other MS developers can truly know all the details.

quote:

let me see any linux free software beat the microsoft sales

Ah yes, because high sales always equals high quality, hmm? A fool and his money are easily parted... And just because a corporation can spend more money buying shelf space, advertising time, and bribing retailers, doesn''t mean their product is better.

quote:

where are sw''s like powerbuilder, delphi.

Delphi and C++ Builder are being ported to Linux as we speak.

quote:

same thing will happen to java, LINUX. wait and watch. win2k is their lates golden bullet

Yes, for shooting themselves in the foot
Advertisement
Way off topic...
The windowed OS for the AtariST was GEM. I think it was either the first or second *consumer* GUI available, and I believe it was available for multiple sets of hardware. Does anyone else out there know what I''m talking about?
Why are people always saying Windows9x crashes? I never reboot my computer unless I install something...the only thing that crashes is Netscape Navigator (which I didn''t find to be that useful) and the Active Desktop. If I don''t use those 2 things, my computer works fine.

I think the major problem is the shoddy drivers that vendors put out. Windows itself never crashes for me.

Good Luck!

- null_pointer
Correction Delphi and C++ biulder is NOT being ported to linux. Some that is SIMILAR(ie uses the lanugage) is being ported but delphi AND C++ builder use windows .dll files.
Thus the GUI has to be rebiult, the library shared by delphi and C++ builder, the code generation back-end. ALL based on a undefined standard. There are plans but they havent started. So it willnt be finished for some time

Edited by - ggs on 3/10/00 8:33:40 AM
null_pointer, you must be one of the lucky few people who doesn''t have windows crash on them. That, or you don''t actually *use* your computer

quote:
Correction Delphi and C++ biulder is NOT being ported to linux. Some that is SIMILAR(ie uses the lanugage) is being ported but delphi AND C++ builder use windows .dll files.

Because of the Corel/Borland/Inprise merger, Borland/Inprise development tools are being ported to Linux. There''s a little bit of information available here:

http://www.corel.com/news/2000/february/february_7_2000.htm

Josh
http://www.jh-software.com
Joshhttp://www.jh-software.com
Advertisement
As far as the AtariST/GEM message goes - agreed. When I needed to learn C I was out of work so I brought an Atari and a C compiler. When I had to start coding in Windows it was just more of the same - I couldn''t understand why people had trouble with event-driven code and windowing.

As far as MS and the industry goes, when I was learning to code one organisation owned the industry and nothing sold without their logo. They produced a lot of crap but succeeded by various underhanded or hard-sell tactics that drove product into corporates often against the wishes of the IT people. That was IBM and many of the people I work with today can''t imagine the degree to which they controlled the industry. Now the logo says MS, but the basic rules of market domination haven''t changed.

As far as MS advancing the industry goes, when DOS came to town I was coding on a machine connected to a network, some UK machine had arrived with a totally graphical interface (Acorns?) and these new 3.5 diskettes had arrived that were going to drop-kick the old floppies into the past. And then some dinky company called Microsoft introduced a half-finished operating system that didn''t know what a network was in a machine using two-year-old hardware (and those crappy floppy disks) and everyone knew that we had to get used to it for one simple reason - it had that big blue logo on the front. How many years did it take to get back to the point where we had networking, graphical interfaces and 3.5 diskettes again?

Windows is used by a zillion people because it comes bundled with the machine. If you actually had to pay $200 for it and install it yourself it''d have the same market share as OS/2.

IBM boot-strapped Microsoft into the market, they''ve spent fifteen years agressively following market domination tactics and now that they actually own the industry and have to start respecting existing clients they don''t know what to do. As far as I can tell MS are in the same place now IBM was when the PC was introduced.

Now if that''s true I''d look for someone currently being fostered by MS to introduce a radical new concept in computer use, sell MS a crippled version 1 and then introduce version 2 in competition, capturing the industries attention and leaving MS to spend five years redefining itself.
re-read my post i edited it.
Wow, this degenerated into a flame war pretty quickly...

anyway, All I have to say is this:

To those of you who think Bill Gates made the current state of computer technology, you''re damn right!

But to think that we''re better off because of it is wrong. In fact, people keep crediting Bill Gates with bringing the computing industry out of the dark ages, but they don''t realise that he put the computer industry INTO the darkages as well.

Compared to the Other OS''s at the time, DOS was really inferior. In fact, all you DOS lovers, please stop it. People think that DOS == anti-windows, but it isnt. In my opinion, DOS is even worse than windows.

However, there are many better console based OS''s out there. Think about it, without Bill Gates, the software industry may have been five or ten years further along.

Commodore, Atari and Amiga all had superior architectures and Operating systems.

Bill Gates is not your savior, and to think so would be ignorant.

===============================================
I saw a man pursuing the horizon;
Round and round they sped. I was disturbed at this; I accosted the man.
"It is futile," I said, You can never -- "

"You lie," he cried, And ran on.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
Talk about Games since this forum is all about that. 3/4 of the linux guys i know dont even know that a 3d card exists. all they know about is their networks run very well in this and it doesnt crash. since windows cant be updated, its backward compatibility problem causes the crash. MS has done a lot ven if they do dirty market tactics. it pays to use windows since it doesnt take years to figure out how a comp works if u use it. a layman can easily jump right in and start working. a home user simply wouldnt want linux. games particularly dont need the architecture offered by linux. unix is still alive since it has been around since the 70''s. linux is alive since it is a unix+windows clone

there is no planning in the devolopment of linux since it is modified to suit according to current need. it isnt commercial. no one would take the resp if something goes wrong. think - games in linux. thnx to windows a guy can code easily.

powerbuilder, netscape, delphi, os/2 are all dead.
java, linux , wait in line...

find apps like 3dsmax, photoshop in linux. people wouldnt make things for linux like that, even if they did everything would be GNU. that is not very good

linux is a geeks OS. it was, will remain GNU and will never threaten windows

- serious thoughts

MetalWorX

Raptor

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement