🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

New version of demo available

Started by
76 comments, last by khawk 20 years, 11 months ago
You're probably already aware of this and I don't know how high priority it is but I think that there may be a slight timing issue...

I tried the new smaller demo on my machine at work and not only do the animations run faster but things seem to happen faster... for instance, it's very rare that the bots ever spot each other on my machine at home... but here at work I ran it a dozen times and every single time they see each other in a matter of 30 seconds or so... I guess it's not really a big deal but I am curious what functions you are using for timing

[edited by - TempusElf on July 18, 2003 4:22:18 PM]
Advertisement
quote: Original post by TempusElf
You''re probably already aware of this and I don''t know how high priority it is but I think that there may be a slight timing issue...

I tried the new smaller demo on my machine at work and not only do the animations run faster but things seem to happen faster... for instance, it''s very rare that the bots ever spot each other on my machine at home... but here at work I ran it a dozen times and every single time they see each other in a matter of 30 seconds or so... I guess it''s not really a big deal but I am curious what functions you are using for timing

[edited by - TempusElf on July 18, 2003 4:22:18 PM]

The timing issue is the animation itself (a quick fix), but everything else is ok. I''m also locking the framerate in this version. (btw.. using the performance timers).

Admin for GameDev.net.

Hmmm, it ran much more smoothly this time (no flickering), but I ran into another problem:

The bots took some shots, then got pretty close to one another. Then I think they got stuck in a loop where they both stayed still for awhile, just saying "I see him" over and over again, without shooting. Then I got bored and closed the app (after about a minute).

P4 2.53 GHz
256MB RAM
ATI All-in-Wonder 9000
Windows XP Home (SP1)

|.dev-c++.|.the gimp.|.seti@home.|.dbpoweramp.|.torn.|.=w=.|
quote: Original post by Erunama
Hmmm, it ran much more smoothly this time (no flickering), but I ran into another problem:

The bots took some shots, then got pretty close to one another. Then I think they got stuck in a loop where they both stayed still for awhile, just saying "I see him" over and over again, without shooting. Then I got bored and closed the app (after about a minute).

P4 2.53 GHz
256MB RAM
ATI All-in-Wonder 9000
Windows XP Home (SP1)

How many times I have to remind you that those bots are just test bots... and besides that problem is not about executable but bot''s code.

i also think the fast animations are great.

works fine on my machine.

athlon 550
win 98se
gf2 mx
128 mb

any idea of what the start date will be?
Kevin has said that he will be most likely releasing the bot generator and source early next week.
Steve 'Sly' Williams  Monkey Wrangler  Krome Studios
turbo game development with Borland compilers
The last demo ran fine on my computer. This one wont even start, it crashes as soon as I hit the .exe

XP Pro
1.6 P4
512 DDR Ram
128 DDR Radeon 9500 Pro

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"

[edited by - UltimaX on July 19, 2003 9:48:12 AM]
UltimaX: Run it in Windows 2000 compatibility mode
works fine.

XP,
GeForce 4.

The Red bot always wins, lol
Wah! Still does not work for me...

Guess I won''t be able to join in this contest.

WAH!
[ Six Hour Game Contest | ( Thread | Blog | Wiki | 6hour Bio ) ][ Website | (Blog | Gallery ) ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement