🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

New version of demo available

Started by
76 comments, last by khawk 20 years, 11 months ago
quote: Original post by Xgkkp
The Exe Never runs. (The first version did and still does)

this is the Error Signature windows gave:
AppName: gdarena.exeAppVer: 1.0.0.1ModName: glu32.dllModVer: 5.1.2600.0Offset: 00006be5  

Though I have been having problems with OpenGl recently, I think I just need a whole Re-format of my pc

PIII 800mhz
Geforce 2 (Gts I think)
256mb of ram
Windows Xp

Based on that information, I''m going to say it''s because of the texture. Make sure the GDArenabin\media\models\bentree\bentree2.tga texture is 256x256 and not 256x254.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Advertisement
quote: Original post by draqza
I''ll have to download it tonight and try it out...altho I don''t know how hopeful I am for it now since you mentioned older cards having problems, I only have a TNT2 Vanta 16MB that came with my HP.

Well I don''t know if the older cards have problems, but I am anticipating them.

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote: Original post by Ysaneya
- Animations are too fast too;

Fixable, although I kind of like the fast action of the bot models..

quote:
- Rock collisions seems to be fixed, lasers are now in yellow (good), but still go through obstacles?

I''ll fix that. I know what it is.

quote:
- Still no option to restart a match after it''s ended (have to quit and run it again);

I''m not going to put that option in this version. As hard as it may be to believe, there isn''t an easy way to add this functionality without possibly screwing up everything else (i.e. I never intended to restart a match).

quote:
- Flickering discs under bots;

Those are the red/blue player identifiers (also for future team versions). There''s some z-fighting going on there with the terrain, but that can be worked around as well.

quote:
- Occasionnal crashes (which i didn''t have in the previous version) when running the exe. It always happens at load time.

I may know what this is, but I''d need some system specs. It may be related to the texture size issue, or it may be another problem area. Although, if it isn''t one of the possibilities I''m thinking of, then I can handle occassional crashes right now and can consider "good enough" at the moment.

Admin for GameDev.net.

gluScaleImage() is a beautiful tool for use with textures.
quote: Original post by Khawk
quote: Original post by Ysaneya
- Animations are too fast too;

Fixable, although I kind of like the fast action of the bot models..

It is very cute. If I may suggest one small addition that would raise the cuteness factor, the MD3 should have a death animation of some sort. Could the bot that loses play a death animation when it dies? This animation would play while the winner text is on-screen. The winning bot could perhaps play a taunt animation just to rub it in. Feature creep I know, but dang it would be cute.

quote: Original post by TheGhost
gluScaleImage() is a beautiful tool for use with textures.

Get the data right and you don''t need hacks like that.
Steve 'Sly' Williams  Monkey Wrangler  Krome Studios
turbo game development with Borland compilers
quote: Original post by Khawk
The Exe Never runs. (The first version did and still does)

this is the Error Signature windows gave:
AppName: gdarena.exeAppVer: 1.0.0.1ModName: glu32.dllModVer: 5.1.2600.0Offset: 00006be5   

Though I have been having problems with OpenGl recently, I think I just need a whole Re-format of my pc

PIII 800mhz
Geforce 2 (Gts I think)
256mb of ram
Windows Xp

Based on that information, I''m going to say it''s because of the texture. Make sure the GDArenabin\media\models\bentree\bentree2.tga texture is 256x256 and not 256x254.

I tried replacing it with the downloaded one, but It still doesn''t work. I can''t check it because I can''t find my photoshop cd''s and don''t have anything to view tga''s.
Nice job, it runs much better now!
I can''t check it because I can''t find my photoshop cd''s and don''t have anything to view tga''s.

Try this: www.irfanview.com.

(Stolen from Programmer One)
UNIX is an operating system, OS/2 is half an operating system, Windows is a shell, and DOS is a boot partition virus
ran great on mine, can''t wait to start.

p4 2.66ghz
ati radeon 8500 catalyst 5.01
1028 mbs ram
"Let Us Now Try Liberty"-- Frederick Bastiat
Runs great for me.

AMD Duron 1.3 Ghz
512 MB DDR RAM
Geforce4 Ti 4200
DX 9
WinXP Pro
__________________________________________________________America seems to like crap because its what we make popular. - Goober King

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement