🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

New version of demo available

Started by
76 comments, last by khawk 20 years, 11 months ago
Doesnt run at all on my machine
p4 1.8ghz
512 mb ram
GF3

it crashes in a call from 004024ca in GDArean to glu32 whatever that is.

hope this helps

Advertisement
When i change the exe into windows 2000 compatabilty mode it works fine.
quote: Original post by cheez_keeper
oh yea... one last thing, kevin keeps winning. are you sure that isnt a bug?

Did you notice that both bots are called Kevin? It must be an ego thing. :D

I copied TestPlayer.dll to TestPlayer2.dll and then hex-edited it to change name ''Kevin'' to Arnie''. Then I added a ''2'' to one of the lines in gdarena.ini. Now you have Kevin fighting Arnie.

Sly
Steve 'Sly' Williams  Monkey Wrangler  Krome Studios
turbo game development with Borland compilers
quote: Original post by Michalson
Does not run properly on one of my systems: PIII800, ATI Rage Pro Mobility chipset (8MB). What I get is a white area where the playing field should be, and the process uses 100% of cpu time.

That's the graphics card. My old laptop had that one, and from knowing what I could and could not do on that old laptop, there's no way in hell it would be able to run the arena executable.

Update: Actually, I thought of another possible reason. OpenGL is being initialized to 32-bit mode, so if your graphics card is having trouble with that, you might get a white window.

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
Doesnt run at all on my machine
p4 1.8ghz
512 mb ram
GF3

it crashes in a call from 004024ca in GDArean to glu32 whatever that is.

hope this helps

At least this crash is consistent with other people, and I know exactly where the crash is occurring. I just have to figure out why.

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote: Original post by cheez_keeper
still runs fine here, a couple of things:

in the lower parts of the terrain it appears nearly black on my computer. if the entire terrain is low with a few higher bumps, it becomes very hard to see (nearly all black) perhaps a small boost to ambient lighting, or some way to allow the end user to bump it?

That could also be your monitor or display settings. When I run the exe at work, the terrain is much darker than when I run it at home or on my laptop. It''s just a matter of bumping up the brightness control. I''ve never seen the entire terrain have the darker color though, so maybe you are just getting a bad random seeding.

quote:
also, one of the smaller brown rocks was missed in a collison check and kevin (while doing his "run real quick" thing) ran straight thru it. they havnt run thru any of the larger rocks this time though.

I broke the rock collisions in this version. They are fixed now, but I have not put the new exe up for download. Monday I will have an update and possibly more..

quote:
oh yea... one last thing, kevin keeps winning. are you sure that isnt a bug?

Oh yeah, I guess I should fix that..

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote: Original post by Michalson
Are bots supposed to see and shoot through the rocks, or is that a bug? (only the bot that was touching the rock was shooting through it)

To an extent, but not like they are in this version. It was an oversight from a change I made in some coldet code, and it''s already fixed. Just not available for download.

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
When i change the exe into windows 2000 compatabilty mode it works fine.
The same for me. I''m using Windows XP.

Without compatibility mode, it crashes (memory access error).
It crashes when I run it in a not-full-privileged user (crash when load). When I switch to an Administrator user it does run well.

WinXP Home (OEM).
Athlon XP 2000+, 1.66Ghz
224Mb ram
GeForce2 MX/AGP/SSE/3DNow!, driver 44.3?/44.03? -- not sure.
32Mb shared.
Still doesn''t work on my system. Oh well, I''ll have to wait till I get my new video card next week.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement