🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Welcome to the new GameDev.net!

Started by
160 comments, last by khawk 4 years, 6 months ago

Hello,

I can understand the need to improve, and I REALLY like the new dark theme, but the site pretty much killed my joy of reading here in its current form.

- opening page ('home', 'features' tab) literally contains nothing I want to know about. Perhaps that's because my interest is programming in general rather than games, so it may be me.

- 'activity' (at 'home') or 'latest' (at 'forums') tabs is totally unsorted topics (that is, sorting on latest reply time doesn't look very useful to me) where I have to spend a lot of mental effort to understand what each topic is about. Perhaps if you visit the site every 5 minutes it makes sense. (I visit once every few days.) For me, more order in categories would help. (But perhaps not enough, as I am not interested in all topics within a category.)

- 'forums' and then 'categories' tab gives order at least. '5,804 topics' in Artifical Intelligence is just non-information imho. No information where new posts or new topics are.

- opening a forum category, I get a list of topics, but no information what I have seen and no information where I replied. My memory isn't so good that I remember every topic I ever replied to, so it takes a lot of mental effort to decide each visit what the interesting topics are, mostly only finding that it is an old one. I stop doing that after the first 2-3 entries, assuming I have seen everything new that could be useful for me, although I have no idea if that is true.

- Clicking 'forum' at the left again jumps back to the useless 'activity' tab, forcing me to explicitly select 'categories' each time I want to switch category. This is so de-motivating that I sometimes work around it by clicking on a category that I see in a random post on the front page. I am done with that game after 2 forum categories or so.

In all, in its current form it is too tiring to read and reply here. Perhaps it is a result of being interested in too few topics which then get drowned in a sea of (for me) uninteresting other topics??

I stop visiting here mostly for now, until all the kinks have been worked out. Likely I'll drop by every now and then to see whether it has improved.

Sincerely, Albert

Advertisement

When I click on a profile to see past content, that page doesn't scroll smoothly, the browser scrollbar doesn't work properly, and computer memory seems to go exceedingly high. This is on Firefox.

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂<←The tone posse, ready for action.

Hi, I like the look of the new site and the dark theme, kongrats! However, I am unable to post with Microsoft Edge (the comment box is just not working, I can't input text and has no controls). I could post this by using Google Chrome.

Weirdly, the previous message in this thread sent me an email, even though I've never had email notifications for post before (an nor did I for previous messages in this thread). Did the notification settings change today?

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Ditto'ing that odd, out-of-nowhere email notification. I've received no notification for any previous post in this thread, and cannot see anything resembling a "subscribe/unsubscribe to thread updates" button on this page.

Mostly related; I checked my notification settings, and it looks like the Profile editing bugs are still rife. I seem to have been re-subscribed to the "GameDev.net Newsletter" (suggesting some kind of settings reset), and all the Interests boxes have become checked (which I *know* I have never done). Unchecking the boxes and hitting Save yields no error, but refreshing the page shows no change. Guys, get your cluster or your cache configuration sorted out, before you become exhibit #1 in a "UI/UX Failures" textbook.

RIP GameDev.net: launched 2 unusably-broken forum engines in as many years, and now has ceased operating as a forum at all, happy to remain naught but an advertising platform with an attached social media presense, headed by a staff who by their own admission have no idea what their userbase wants or expects.Here's to the good times; shame they exist in the past.

Ditto'ing that odd, out-of-nowhere email notification. I've received no notification for any previous post in this thread, and cannot see anything resembling a "subscribe/unsubscribe to thread updates" button on this page.

Mostly related; I checked my notification settings, and it looks like the Profile editing bugs are still rife. I seem to have been re-subscribed to the "GameDev.net Newsletter" (suggesting some kind of settings reset), and all the Interests boxes have become checked (which I *know* I have never done). Unchecking the boxes and hitting Save yields no error, but refreshing the page shows no change. Guys, get your cluster or your cache configuration sorted out, before you become exhibit #1 in a "UI/UX Failures" textbook.

RIP GameDev.net: launched 2 unusably-broken forum engines in as many years, and now has ceased operating as a forum at all, happy to remain naught but an advertising platform with an attached social media presense, headed by a staff who by their own admission have no idea what their userbase wants or expects.Here's to the good times; shame they exist in the past.

Also looks like you've got an off-by-one error in pagination. Clicked a forum topic with exactly 10 posts in it, and...

turanszkij said:

Hi, I like the look of the new site and the dark theme, kongrats! However, I am unable to post with Microsoft Edge (the comment box is just not working, I can't input text and has no controls). I could post this by using Google Chrome.

Interesting. I'll take a look.

swiftcoder said:

Weirdly, the previous message in this thread sent me an email, even though I've never had email notifications for post before (an nor did I for previous messages in this thread). Did the notification settings change today?

Notifications for emails were not implemented until yesterday, so that's why nobody saw email notifications (as some members noticed earlier in this thread). Email (and browser) notifications can be turned off in settings.

Wyrframe said:
Ditto'ing that odd, out-of-nowhere email notification. I've received no notification for any previous post in this thread, and cannot see anything resembling a

Thread following has not yet been implemented. Notifications are global right now.

Wyrframe said:
I checked my notification settings, and it looks like the Profile editing bugs are still rife. I seem to have been re-subscribed to the

I just checked all the Prpfile settings, and they were fine for me... that doesn't seem to be "rife" and may be specific to your environment. Just like:

Wyrframe said:
Unchecking the boxes and hitting Save yields no error, but refreshing the page shows no change

I can't replicate this. All settings saving fine, but I haven't tested all browsers. Which are you using?

Wyrframe said:
Also looks like you've got an off-by-one error in pagination. Clicked a forum topic with exactly 10 posts in it, and...

I noticed this as well the other day. It's on the list to fix.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Great, now I'm getting spammed with emails even if I only want to be notified about replies in one topic...

The server crashes every time I post and it doesn't save my edits sometimes...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement