🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Welcome to the new GameDev.net!

Started by
160 comments, last by khawk 4 years, 6 months ago

I'm still logged out on a regular basis.

This time I logged in (with the remember me flag set), and the very next thread I opened had me logged out again.

Formatting is wrong for numbered list with indentation > 1. While editing it shows correctly as e.g. 1, 2, 3, a ,b, c, 4, 5 -- but after posting it gets flattened to 1, 2 , 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.

Hello to all my stalkers.

Advertisement
alvaro said:
If things stay the way they are, I will probably stop contributing.

Comments like this always make me curious. I get that people don't like change and GDNet's generally more technical audience wants things to be beyond perfect, but why would anyone think things will stay as they are? Improvements are made on a regular basis and have been since launch of this new platform (less so this week because my employer required more of my attention).

Lactose said:
I'm still logged out on a regular basis

I just noticed this myself. First time I've seen the issue.

I have a few ideas what's happening with caching, and I think it's related to most of the problems everyone is experiencing. There are a few bugs here and there that need to be addressed as well (Portfolios).

Admin for GameDev.net.

I can't seem to quote only part of your post. Add it to the pile.

I think things might stay as they are because it's been several weeks and I don't see any progress: The site is slow as molasses, a lot of important functionality is not there and a lot of what is there is buggy.

alvaro said:
I think things might stay as they are because it's been several weeks and I don't see any progress

The 200+ hours of my free time and 163 commits since launch is a pretty good indicator of progress. Many of the early bug reports in this thread have been resolved. Maybe the things you care about haven't been addressed yet? What do you consider most important? Your last post includes:

alvaro said:
I can't see what threads have new posts since the last time I saw them. I just posted some reply in a thread, I couldn't see it even after refreshing the browser, so I posted again. Then I saw both replies. I can't delete one of the duplicates. I tried to edit one of them, but that doesn't seem to work either.
  • Seeing unread content is on the list. I and several of the moderators thought this was a less used feature. We've learned from several users that it's considered critical. Oops.
  • Issues with replies, duplicates, etc has been addressed. Yesterday.
  • No, you can't delete your content. You've never been able to delete content on GameDev.net, but you can hide your content. And if that's not working, it will be fixed.
  • Editing fix is coming very shortly.
alvaro said:
I can't seem to quote only part of your post. Add it to the pile.

I just did this. What steps are you taking that this is not working for you?

I'm about to push another couple fixes, including formatting issues in blogs and one that prevents editing of content.

Re: Performance, I haven't been happy with it, but by the performance metrics tracked on the backend server performance is about 10x what it was at launch. And yesterday, I improved the performance of forum topic (~3x) and home pages (~7x) along with fixing the caching issue that has been leading to missing/duplicate posts.

Next up is the Portfolio issue reported by @RoKabium Games .

Admin for GameDev.net.

RoKabium Games said:
So, then I deleted the 'duplicate', and then it deletes the duplicate, but then the first one is now displaying as a blank image. If you then try to view the portfolios, you get a '502 Bad Gateway': https://gamedev.net/portfolios/1006-sama/

Tracked this down. An update is coming in the next 10-15 minutes that addresses this.

Unfortunately the image file was deleted from the server when you deleted the duplicate. Without getting into too much detail why, you'll want to delete the blank image and re-upload it.

Also added a spinner indicator to note saving and a workaround for the time being that will (should?) prevent this from happening again.

Admin for GameDev.net.

OK, I'll try to be more helpful in reporting the issues I encounter. I'm using Chrome on a recent Macbook Air.

If I click on "Quote" at the bottom of a post, I get the content of the post in the editing area, as expected. When I click inside and hit "delete" on my keyboard to try to remove the parts I am not responding to, the whole quoted post disappears. If I then press "command+Z" to undo whatever just happened, I get a quotation box with the word "true" inside. I can get several of these boxes by pressing "command+Z" again.

khawk said:
RoKabium Games said:
So, then I deleted the 'duplicate', and then it deletes the duplicate, but then the first one is now displaying as a blank image. If you then try to view the portfolios, you get a '502 Bad Gateway': https://gamedev.net/portfolios/1006-sama/

Tracked this down. An update is coming in the next 10-15 minutes that addresses this.

Unfortunately the image file was deleted from the server when you deleted the duplicate. Without getting into too much detail why, you'll want to delete the blank image and re-upload it.

Also added a spinner indicator to note saving and a workaround for the time being that will (should?) prevent this from happening again.

Great, looks like it's all working fine now, thanks @khawk

See more of "Something Ate My Alien" at http://www.somethingatemyalien.com

alvaro said:

OK, I'll try to be more helpful in reporting the issues I encounter. I'm using Chrome on a recent Macbook Air.

If I click on "Quote" at the bottom of a post, I get the content of the post in the editing area, as expected. When I click inside and hit "delete" on my keyboard to try to remove the parts I am not responding to, the whole quoted post disappears. If I then press "command+Z" to undo whatever just happened, I get a quotation box with the word "true" inside. I can get several of these boxes by pressing "command+Z" again.

I can reproduce this in Linux using Firefox.

Another (minor) quality issue: If I log in from any page (say, from viewing a forum thread), I expect to remain on that page, instead of being sent to the home page and having to navigate my way back to where I was.

One more: Immediately after posting in a thread where the new post starst a new page (like my post just above), I am shown the previous page, so it looks like my post didn't make it.

I suddenly have a badge on my messages seemingly indicating 2 unread message. Looking through the message center, I can't see any unread message. The badge does not seem to want to go away on its own.

Hello to all my stalkers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement