Advertisement

Now What For The UK ?

Started by June 24, 2016 04:21 AM
104 comments, last by ApochPiQ 8 years, 3 months ago

Still, its nice to know the nastiness hasn't spread too much, it's not like I'm seeing plenty of stories from across the UK of people telling others to get out now because they have 'won'.

Nope, a muslim welsh woman certainly wasn't told to get out now that leave have 'won'.
Someone certainly isn't walking around Romford with a "Now we've won, send them back" t-shirt on.
There is no way someone was spat on and told to 'go home' because of the colour of his skin.
The National Front aren't out in Newcastle with a banner saying "Stop Immigration. Start Repatriation"

Nope, good to see the nastiness has gone away and we are all fine once more...

I suspect we'd see similar even if remain won.

Interested in Fractals? Check out my App, Fractal Scout, free on the Google Play store.

When you have huge differences between GDP per capital the net migation movement is always going to be in one direction
When you have huge differences between government benefits (btw claiming child benefits for children not living the host country is scandalous and a fraud bait) the net migration movement is always going to be in one direction
when you have huge difference in employment rates between countries the net migration movement is always going to be in one direction

All true... HOWEVER... the intent of the 'leave' campaign is to stay in the single market, that means they will remain in the free movement agreement which means that people will still keep coming here, freely, to work, as they do now.

In that respect this has made close to zero difference - the only thing it might impact is 'sending benefit for children home', which was a vanishingly small amount of money anyway in the grand scheme of things so the net result, on immigration, is that nothing is likely to change.

Huzzah I guess?
Advertisement
Re nastiness - I did note on election night how Nigel Farage etc were saying how if the vote failed, there has to be "concessions" because of the narrow margin. It seemed to me like trying to have your cake and eat it: if you lose, you get concessions, if you win, you get your full say. To be fair, the UKIP MP said if they won, there should still be concessions for the people who voted Remain - though it's hard to see what concessions there could be, we can't be partly out, and models like Norway are a compromise that seem the worst of both worlds. Now they've won, talk of concessions seem to have gone.
I was wondering when someone would bring up bendy bananas. The EU does not ban straight bananas, it is to do with classification of bananas and marketing standards; it applies to wholesalers not retailers; it applies to unripened green bananas, it's not about what you buy in a shop. It's just about standardising the way that goods are classified, so retailers know what they're getting - bananas with abnormal defects would be "class 2", not "class 1". Big deal.
Sorry, I'm not bothering with a tabloid source to back this up - a ten second Google is all you need.
(Vacuum cleaners has more truth to it, but it was about preventing energy inefficiency rather than banning some level of performance - yes, some companies did argue against it and said it wasn't the best way to go about it, OTOH this wasn't some petty red tape, it is to do with energy efficiency and the environment.)
As I say, I'm not saying that every regulation the EU has brought in makes sense or is something I agree with. Yeah, I found it a bit pointless to tell users I use cookies on my website. Doesn't mean I think it's worth leaving the common market, closing up borders, years of uncertainty, and damage to the economy.
braindigitalis:

Criminals in our country wanted in their home country have the right to avoid deportation by abusing the EU human rights act. Thanks again.
There is no such thing as an "EU human rights act". There is the Human Rights Act, a UK law passed by the British Government. This allows people to go to UK courts for things based on the European Convention on Human Rights, which is also not an EU thing, it's a treaty that the UK signed up to (and played a major part in creating) independent of the EU.
I would be curious to see references for it refusing to allow the deportation of convicted criminals (as opposed to say, protecting important rights for suspects)?
If anything, deportation of suspects is actually easier in the EU, due to things like the European Arrest Warrant. Outside of the EU, it'll have to be done via deportation laws. Meanwhile, deportation of convicted criminals seems to happen more often now ( http://rightsinfo.org/human-rights-act-criminal-deportations/ ).

Money will be wasted on conferences, limos, caviar and champagne in Brussels.
This sounds more like a description of our own head of state...

Not all dislike of the EU is about immigration...
So it's actually about immigration, bendy bananas, and a Convention that isn't part of the EU.
Will look forward to being able to buy straight bananas, I'm sure it'll all be worth it.

http://erebusrpg.sourceforge.net/ - Erebus, Open Source RPG for Windows/Linux/Android
http://conquests.sourceforge.net/ - Conquests, Open Source Civ-like Game for Windows/Linux

Although the result is just what I expected, I think UK is doing a massive mistake there, but if they want to leave... (to paraphrase several high-profile people who have commented on the topic on TV) here's the door, goodbye and good luck. For the EU, this will be (in my opinion) a smallish episode of uncertainity, but for the UK it will mean a lot of trouble. In particular since the Scots are rather unhappy, and I hear the Northern Irish aren't really singing in joy either. Ironically, it has been just the regions which profit the most from the EU who voted "exit" whereas the regions which only have to pay for the EU and get very little in return (naively thinking) voted "stay". That might end up being a bad awakening for the former. Especially if the Scots do another referendum and decide to leave the UK in favour of re-joining the EU. Who is going to pay if Scotland is gone? As for the EU and bureaucrats and corruption, blah blah... yes. I agree that the EU stinks and Brussels stinks, and they are all corrupt, etc. And yeah, nobody needs those shitty laws about smoke detectors and water samples and a thousand other useless things which only complicate your life and make nothing better. But... you have free trade, you can work where you want, you can go where you want (well, in theory, now no longer thanks to the refugee thing... but hopefully one day you will be able to go where you want freely again), and those are huge, huge, huge benefits. Yes, we pay a lot for those benefits, both in money and in inconveniences. But they are still huge benefits. Throwing that away is just stupid, in my opinion. The benefits of the EU are not immediately obvious. If you live in one of those regions where you only pay and get nothing back, the naive point of view would be: "Why should I do this?!". But once you look a bit deeper, you get your money back twice through the backdoor.

here's the door, goodbye and good luck.

Of course, amusingly, Leave have now said there is no hurry to exit... so every week we wait until we kick in article 50 costs another £350million on top of the £36billion we'll already be paying :D

Now what for the UK? Well obviously:

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Advertisement
Just to add to the fun;

- At least one bank has activated leases for buildings in the EU which looks like they are planning to move jobs out of London.
- Ford is considering job loses at their factories here as they mostly build for export
- And from twitter;

"Hearing 4 indie dev studios in London are closing; their VC funding contained a brexit clause (common), now their funding is gone.

...and yes, I'm hoping the (actually very reliable) grapevine on this one turns out to be wrong. Im sure we'll find out more soon."

It might not happen, of course, but yay shockwaves!
Also, what I was talking about earlier;

Far-right demonstrators take to streets demanding repatriation of immigrants in wake of Brexit

I really don't get all the crying over EU regulations. It feels like a lot of the YouTube content on Tiny Home design that I watch. There are a lot of sane practical people creating really safe and clever things, but there is also a subsection of the community who will rant and go on about how the Gov'ment wants to keep them down and make life hard for them... And then they build things with cramped sleeping lofts with not escape method over poorly designed wood burning fireplaces... Those five "Foolish" building codes they were just quoting and calling useless sure would come in handy when their unshielded wood stove besides the big oil jugs for their lights catches fire and burns down...

And if the UK wants to still trade and do business with the EU, then they're still going to have to comply with the vast majority of them anyway, but now they'll have no real voice in the matter.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

Europe has also been at war with infighting for most of those millennia. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the fall of the EU means a return to those times, but I'm not exactly reassured by a "hey, it was fine before, the EU is just a new thing".

Do you think a union will stop infighting in the long term? ;-)

The EU is 17 years old. I'm 39. That means that I was a legal adult when it was established. Heck, I was old enough to buy cigarettes and drink alcohol. People that were born the year it was established are legally still minors - literally children.

My point is that this isn't even the blink of an eye when compared to the age of the member states. This will have a short term impact on the world economies, but there will be little long-term impact. The world will still spin on its axis and still revolve around the sun. Life will go on. It isn't like the world, or even the UK, has no idea of what life would be like without the EU.

This panic I'm seeing looks like fear of the unknown. That's very odd. Maybe if the EU was a few hundred years old. It's 17 freaking years old!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement