🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Week Of Awesome III - The Afterparty/judging thread!

Started by
155 comments, last by Orymus3 7 years ago

Still waiting for some results... :-)

Yes i know, we are waiting on our last judge to finish up. Hopefully sooner we will have the results, but if it gets to friday afternoon, i'll post the results since each game currently has at least 3 judges reviews.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.
Advertisement

but if it gets to friday afternoon

*Looks up innocently*

Feel you...

Gamedev journal: http://darkdroid.com

Homepage: http://www.kodingnights.com

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/kodingnights

Intensity intensifies.... happy.png

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

Nearly ready, just getting some final things together and should be announcing within the next few hours.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.
Alright folks, I'm proud to present the results for this year! I'd like to both thank our judges for there time to go over each game and not only score them, but also give feedback about each game. Don't be disuaded if you didn't win, remember that only a mere weeks is given to make a game, and crossing that finish line is what is most important! I'd also like to thank Servant of the lord who's help has made the process of talling all judges scores much easier this year. Secondly i'd like to thank eck for his excellent scoring outline which was used as a basis for judging and distributing points for the judges: http://www.gamedev.net/blog/2108/entry-2261430-ecks-unofficial-judging-officially-explained/ and finally to our sponsors, whom have aided us quite greatly in the prizes for this year's Week of Awesome!

With that said, Our top 5 teams are:
1st: hu3 team - rodolfodth, devn00b
2nd: New Old Things: - endurion
3rd: DifferentName
4th: SpaghettiSauce - __Toz__
5th: Thaumic Games - Thaumaturge

The rest of the positions and scores(as well as individual judge scores) can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mezCu1oGOe6K4RvvpuXy6QHLo7ZvpDv3-kI4Djucuj0/edit

spRtbWU.png

Congratulations to our winners, i'll be contacting you shortly for prize distribution!

Onto the reviews and feedback, some judges have opted to posting into journals(myself included), while others have left it to me to do posting, and well be placed under spoiler tags below:

Slicer4ever: http://www.gamedev.net/blog/1587/entry-2261515-week-of-awesome-iii-my-results/
Servant of the Lord: http://www.gamedev.net/blog/862/entry-2261514-week-of-awesome-iii-servants-reviews-of-all-games/
switftcoder:
[spoiler]
Team: Koding Nights - dkoding
Game: Death is Awesome

Gameplay/fun: 15/25
Graphics: 10/20
Theme: 15/20
Audio: 5/10
FTUE: 10/10
Participation: -/10
Judges Score: 2/5

Thoughts: Solid tutorial and narrative UI to introduce the player to the game. Clunky controls. Never clear why I can’t seem to move in various places (I think wheatfields impede movement), or how to aim the fireball correctly (seems to arbitrarily pick diagonal vs straight). Music is pretty repetitive. Decent use of the theme.

---

Team: AngeReveur
Game: Death is Useful

Gameplay/fun:15/25
Theme: 10/20

Thoughts:In-game tutorial is effective, although I found it confusing that it introduces attacking when the first enemy is immune to your attacks. Jump timing is pretty punishing, especially when avoiding the thrown tridents. Music is repetitive. Death seems to only provide a single powerup, which is a token nod to “useful”.

---

Team: Something fun - ryan20fun
Game: Chaotic Ball Carnage

Gameplay/fun: 10/25
Theme: 0/20
Audio: 7/10
FTUE: 5/10
Judges Score: 1/5

Thoughts: I’m a ball, rolling around an arena, shooting balls at other balls. I can shoot two colours of ball, and I’m surrounded by friendly balls, and occasionally red balls show up and shoot at me. Solid readme, game is somewhat opaque once you are playing it. Repetitive music somehow fits the rather frantic pace of the game. No sign of the theme.

---

Team: New Old Things: - endurion
Game: Bunny Hop

Gameplay/fun: 20/25
Graphics: 15/20
Theme: 20/20
FTUE: 8/10
Judges Score: 4/5

Thoughts:Well designed puzzles, theme features heavily in puzzles that require the player to use their previous dead bodies to pave the way to objectives. Off-axis projection gives an interesting retro feel. Music is repetitive. Tutorial is effective, although the text isn’t always super noticeable against the background.

---

Team: Mud Pit - Lactose!
Game: Death and Flowers

Audio: 6/10
FTUE: 6/10

Thoughts: The room swapping mechanic is an interesting idea for a puzzle. Graphics are polished, albeit simple. Playing as death, hence death making himself useful, still seems a bit of a dodge around the intent of the theme. Audio repetitive.

---

Team: Oddfellow Games - WASDMagician
Game: reincarnage

Gameplay/fun: 5/25
Graphics: 8/20
Theme: 13/20
Audio: 4/10
Judges Score: 1/5

Thoughts: Massive waves of bullet-sponge zombies would be impossible except that they get stuck (on walls, or something) whenever they try to move towards you. After a significant period of wall-sticking zombies and slowly focusing them down, I was able to collect enough power-ups to start killing them efficiently, but I can’t help the feeling that a shotgun was in order. No music. Startup page is pretty explanatory. Theme is present, but the damage boost from dying didn’t seem that useful overall.

---
Team: StoutWalrus - ArThor
Game: Orc Party

Gameplay/fun: -/25
Graphics: -/20
Theme: -/20
Audio: -/10
FTUE: -/10
Judges Score: -/5

Thoughts: Requires numeric keypad, which I do not have. I’ll have to leave this one to the other judges.

---

Team: Unicore - Orymus3
Game: Death is Useful(unsure?)

Thoughts: Game is fun, feels like one of those old marble sumo-wrestling games. No music, audio cues get annoying when I have to die N times to read the message on the score screen. Dying repeatedly to learn feels like another dodge around the goal of the theme - pretty much every game works this way. Controls were explained well, and difficulty ramp is just about right.

---

Team: BecauseNerdsCanBSexy2 - Alienguard
Game: apocowlypse

Graphics: 13/20
Judges Score: 3/5

Thoughts: Pretty shadows, loading screen explains controls. Sound is super repetitive once the waves of cows speed up. No audio/visual way to tell if I shot a cow, or if it detonated against the ground. Fast cows and slow bullets makes it only possible to pick off a few in each wave. No sign of theme?

---

Team: Aletheia Game Studios - Cefleet, Matthew P., Rebecca V.
Game: To die is to gain

Graphics: 20/20
Audio: 10/10
FTUE: 4/10

Thoughts: Intro is gorgeous, great use of low-fi aesthetic, music is solid. Gameplay mechanics are not immediately intuitive - had to reach out to cefleet to figure out how dieing and jumping worked. Even once you understand the mechanics, game is punishingly hard. Theme is pretty pervasive, given that you have to die to obtain even basic abilities like movement.

---

Team: Casey Hardman
Game: Soulwielder

Theme: 18/20
Audio: 0/10

Thoughts: Instructions are thorough. Timing on boosts is tricky, and the momentum on jumps makes it easy to overshoot platforms. Breaking the convention of spacebar-to-jump makes this unnecessarily confusing to pick up - swapping boost and jump would make things feel a lot more familiar. Theme is well integrated, although I’d prefer something more novel than killing things for power ups. No audio?

---

Team: That Big Fat Chicken team - brunoscholz, KalVasFlam
Game: A gift from Hermes

Graphics: 18/20
Audio: 6/10
FTUE: 7/10

Thoughts: Neat little puzzle platformer, great intro. Not sure I see how the theme fits in - dieing does not appear necessary, and in fact breaks the game in level 4. No apparent way to return to menu from either the tutorial, or when you have died in level 4.

---
Team: Calinabris
Game: Snack Snack

Audio: 8/10

Thoughts: Graphics are a little too busy, hard to tell at a glance what is happening onscreen. Driving a snake, while also playing match3, and balancing nutrition, is quite a lot of multi-tasking to require from the player. Snake controls don’t block you from reversing direction and hence instantly dieing. Match tiles move very slowly. Music fits, somehow. Theme present, but not terribly central.

---

Team: hu3 team - rodolfodth, devn00b
Game: Try. Die. Repeat.

Gameplay/fun: 25/25
Judges Score: 5/5

Thoughts: Portal meets Lemmings meets VVVVVV makes for a great concept. Excellent use of computer voices and pixel graphics. Using dead bodies to pave over the path to objectives is once again a great use of the theme.

---

Team: Great White North Productions - XXChester
Game: Army of the Undead

Thoughts: I can see the beginnings of a tactical RTS here, but it’s not quite there yet. Enemies seem to output about the same damage you do, so the only viable tactic is to cloak, spam attack, and get the hell out of dodge with your one surviving angel. Audio fits the aesthetic. Death is useful in the sense that killing enemies grants additional angels.

---

Team: Slaughterhouse Gaming - riuthamus, shadowisadog, ByteTroll
Game: Vault Stone

FTUE: 2/10

Thoughts: Graphically impressive, despite billboard glitches in places. You definitely have the kernel of a hack-n-slash here. Control responsiveness is a little clunky, no feedback as to whether you are hitting or missing the enemy. Took a while to discover the ‘summon undead’ was bound to the ‘1’ key, since Unity’s input dialogue doesn’t show it. Didn’t discover an objective beyond running around killing things. Theme is represented.
[/spoiler]

cozzie:
[spoiler]
Team: Slaughterhouse Gaming - riuthamus, shadowisadog, ByteTroll
Game: Vault Stone

Theme: 9/20
FTUE: 3/10
Participation: 10/10
Judges Score: 0/5

Thoughts:
the idea was fun, but to buggy and repetitive. The graphics have potential, but here the same goes (buggy)

---
Team: Something fun - ryan20fun
Game: Chaotic Ball Carnage

Theme: 5/20
Participation: 7/10

Thoughts:
the title unfortunately (for me) hits my experience, too chaotic, wasn't triggered to wanting to play more

---

Team: DifferentName
Game: Lich

Participation: 8/10

Thoughts:
cool game, works addictive for me, the simplicity in graphics is a strength/ consistent art direction
---

Team: Ovensparrow - MarioLuigiMan, Onigiri Flash
Game: DeathJam

Theme: 1/20
FTUE: 1/10
Participation: 5/10

Thoughts:
I got the idea, but needed lots of time to find out how to do level 2; nice idea, but needs more refinement to improve user-experience

---
Team: Oddfellow Games - WASDMagician
Game: reincarnage

Gameplay/fun: 13/25
Graphics: 14/20
Theme: 16/20

Thoughts:
Game feels really fun and smooth, on my PC the graphics were black/blue, not like they should have been. This was too bad, because it just felt good on several aspects.

---

Team: SpaghettiSauce - __Toz__
Game: A Death a Dozen

Graphics: 12/20

Thoughts:
The game sets a mood and brings the theme 'too life', fun to play (and wanting more levels smile.png)

---

Team: Thaumic Games - Thaumaturge
Game: Powerthief

Graphics: 16/20
Theme: 5/20

Thoughts:
Good solid game for a jam. Maybe a bit difficult to get the hang of

---
Team: BecauseNerdsCanBSexy2 - Alienguard
Game: apocowlypse

Theme: 4/20
Participation: 6/10

Thoughts:
Fun, nice twist with the cows. Theme not really exploited, never the less had a lot of fun with it.

---

Team: YAG - lede, zylick, and janderson2005
Game: Orcs Vs Zombies

Graphics: 15/20
FTUE: 4/10

Thoughts:
I can see the effort that's gone into it, but the gameplay just didn't work (for me), I have no idea why I'm winning/ what I'm doing

---

Team: mousetail
Game: Lazer of death

Gameplay/fun: 12/25
Graphics: 12/20
Theme: 8/20
FTUE: 3/10

Thoughts:
Equally nice put together as confusing when you play it at first. A bit too complex maybe, but good result for a week Jam.

---
Team: That Big Fat Chicken team - brunoscholz, KalVasFlam
Game: A gift from Hermes

Graphics: 17/20
FTUE: 7/10

Thoughts:
Points mostly for the mood setting, nice art style and music + story for a 1 week Jam. But gameplay made me stop playing

---

Team: Mussi
Game: Dype

Graphics: 1/20
Theme: 2/20
Audio: 0/10

Thoughts:
Good to see the simplicity of a text adventure in the WOA, not very spectular but nice

---

Team: CodeMus - IYP, GTE, newtechnology, iDingo
Game: Post of Death

Gameplay/fun: 17/25
Graphics: 18/20
Judges Score: 5/5

Thoughts:
Feels like a potential for a bigger/ full game, the sounds/ mood scared the s**t out of me first time

---
Team: Great White North Productions - XXChester
Game: Army of the Undead

Thoughts:
Complete game; feels robust, not spectecular but very solid, especially for a one week 'jam'
[/spoiler]

Migi0027 (????): <coming shortly>
theflamingskunk: <coming shortly>

Congratulations to our winners!

Also please remember that if you want to be considered for the review prize, i must have your final reviews by the 31st!

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

-noreactionrightnow, post after a while

http://trydierepeat.com

Week of Awesome III

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

-noreactionrightnow, post after a while

same here

Congrats everyone!

Wow, that fugly visual cost me a lot more than I had originally anticipated... bit disappointed, of course, but missing 2 full days of potential dev time is on me for sure (so is 'solo-ing' the competition!)

Considering remaking this as a 2d game given that the 3rd axis really didn't add much beyond bugs...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement