Advertisement

The Week of Awesome III - The third annual unofficial gamedev.net competition! - Administration thread

Started by June 01, 2015 04:11 AM
232 comments, last by Eck 9 years, 2 months ago

If I am not to expect the judges to be able to setup a webserver

I will also be able to setup your game for other judges if Slicer is unable, so I wouldnt worry at all about that, just submit the files and any setup steps beyond serving on a webserver.

100MB is a bit large, but should be fine for the most part if you feel more comfotable going that route when distributing to the judges.

This prompts me to ask: Are there any guidelines regarding download size, or the size of the resultant installed folder? (I did take a quick look at the rules, and didn't see anything regarding this, but I could well have missed something.)

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

Advertisement

This prompts me to ask: Are there any guidelines regarding download size, or the size of the resultant installed folder? (I did take a quick look at the rules, and didn't see anything regarding this, but I could well have missed something.)

If your download is in the multiple gigabytes, some of the judges may be less than pleased. But we can accommodate if necessary.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

100MB is a bit large, but should be fine for the most part if you feel more comfotable going that route when distributing to the judges.

If your download is in the multiple gigabytes, some of the judges may be less than pleased. But we can accommodate if necessary.

Basically this, it hasn't been a problem in the past with individual file sizes, so I'm not inclined to make a hard rule on it, but if it ever does become a problem, we'll work with it that year, and it'll likely become a hard rule in the future.
as a soft rule, i'll just say try not to go over 250MB.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

Ah, thank you both--that's a relief to read! Based on a quick look at my test program (which gives me a rough idea of the engine's size, albeit perhaps lacking certain modules), I'm rather reassured. ^_^

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Team: shadowisadog
Members: shadowisadog
Web: -

Advertisement

I think I could use a break to work on something small, so I'll give this a go.

If I'm working alone, I can just have the team name be my name, right?

Team: Casey Hardman
Members: Casey Hardman
Tools: Unity, Paint.net, GIMP
Language: C#
Quick question: would posting screenshots and such to Twitter qualify for the 'participation points', or would making more in-depth posts (not 140-character posts) in a dev journal or blog be necessary?

[twitter]Casey_Hardman[/twitter]

Basically this, it hasn't been a problem in the past with individual file sizes, so I'm not inclined to make a hard rule on it, but if it ever does become a problem, we'll work with it that year, and it'll likely become a hard rule in the future.
as a soft rule, i'll just say try not to go over 250MB.

I'm sorry I didn't reply over the weekend, but thanks for this information.
I hope I'm not the only person who is really, really pumped about this week! I point to this week last year that launched my new business of teaching kids programming and graphic arts through game development. I had never made a game before last year but I placed 5th and I thought ... I can do this.
I have canceled all of my classes, mainly because it will be the first week of public school for all of my students and they act crazy the first week of school, but secondly for this competition.

*A bell rings, sonorous and alone, somewhere in the distance ahead. A madman stands on broken masonry above the assembly; his eyes are wide and his beard wild, and his clothes are tatters. He calls out to the gathered crowd: "One week. That's what that bell means! Only one week remains!"*

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Only one week remaining before starting. How do you prepare yourself for the challenge ? On my side I will test all the softwares that I will use to be sure that all is working well. Beside that, I will take it easy this week.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement