Advertisement

The Week of Awesome III - The third annual unofficial gamedev.net competition! - Administration thread

Started by June 01, 2015 04:11 AM
232 comments, last by Eck 9 years, 2 months ago

The problem with just scaling it down though is that our screen will be about 240 pixels in width... It'll be scaled up but the resolution won't change. Hence why I asked if we could be flexible with it, like having a more limited splash and the finer details in the credits or something. Or a sequence splash (that could be skipped). And dat font....

The problem with just scaling it down though is that our screen will be about 240 pixels in width... It'll be scaled up but the resolution won't change. Hence why I asked if we could be flexible with it, like having a more limited splash and the finer details in the credits or something. Or a sequence splash (that could be skipped). And dat font....

Slicer has already elaborated somewhat on the flexibility regarding the sponsors screen, here.

There might be other ways that you could incorporate the spashscreen though, for example you could temporarily use a higher resolution for the splash and switch down to your 240px resolution afterwards. Another idea would be to launch the splash in a separate window to your game for the user to dismiss manually. Another thing I've wondered about is hosting the image at its actual resolution and providing some kind of zoom/pan control to allow the user to move around the image, in your case they'd only see 240px across at any one time, but they can zoom/pan around as needed to read the whole thing.

Advertisement
I will be participating, just me though. Thought it would be a good way to pass time until GCSE results...

i'm not even in the contest and i'm angsting for this to start already :)

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Since the splashscreen is one of the first things to occur, is it not possible to render it at your upscaled resolution, before switching to your smaller resolution?(i assume your going for a retfo pixel art like vibe effect with this resolution?)
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

OK Newtechnology joind us so his team is now changed to CodeMus

Team:CodeMus
Members: IYP, GTE, newtechnology, iDingo
Web: nothing

yeah we're 4 :D

Advertisement

Since the splashscreen is one of the first things to occur, is it not possible to render it at your upscaled resolution, before switching to your smaller resolution?(i assume your going for a retfo pixel art like vibe effect with this resolution?)

Yeah... I'm just a perfectionist and don't like wanging things in like that. I'll survive. unsure.png

We are 3 days away and I'm already super excited! Who's with me? But as is par for the course, I have a couple of questions ... again.

1. Is the competition thread going to be going up before the competition starts? (and when is the official time?)
2. When that thread is up do we add a link to our posts or copy the content of the post in the thread?
3. My wife now manages my website, Social media, mail-outs, etc. If she is doing the actual posting does she need to be listed as part of the team?

Also I have changed my site to have a category for this years competition so the new url is:

http://aletheiagamestudio.com/category/week-of-awesome-3/

And here is the finalized team :

Matthew P. - World Designer & 3D modeling

Rebecca V. - Art & Story and Videos (if any are made)

Clint F. (me) - Lead Game Designer / Programmer

Good Luck everybody. I love seeing all of the awesome work.

Team name: Mud Pit

Members: Lactose + artist

Preparing by downloading Unity and trying to learn how it works before the competition starts.

Still unsure if we'll have time to deliver anything, but we're going to try :)

Hello to all my stalkers.

*Again a bell rings; it seems closer this time, loud and resonant. The ranting madman has gone from his broken perch, but a whisper on the wind nevertheless carries words to your ears: "Three days remain..."*

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement