Advertisement

The Week of Awesome III - The third annual unofficial gamedev.net competition! - Administration thread

Started by June 01, 2015 04:11 AM
232 comments, last by Eck 9 years, 2 months ago

I should've said, "What I'm planning to do..." laugh.png

I'll be joining as well.

Team: SpaghettiSauce
Members: __Toz__

And since people are discussing what tech they will use:
Engine: My own engine that uses SDL internally.
Language: Python
Graphic: GIMP
Sound: Mainly Audacity, maybe FL Studio if I have time.
Music: Royalty free music wherever I can find it.

Great to have you=-)

I also have a question. In the original post it says that participants will also be judged on their participation. Does this mean that a development journal is something that's expected or will the usual update post in this thread suffice?

SotL does a great job of explaining this, but i'd like to also add that you must put your updates in the contest thread, that will be a separate thread from this one which will be created once the contest starts. Rather those updates are from twitter, dev journals, or just writing to the thread itself, please be sure to drop a link into the contest thread. As well, i'd like to also add that conversing and giving feedback to other people's journals is also a sure-fire way to obtain those juicy participation points, but doing so is not 100% necessary.

I think what I'm supposed to do as a judge is ignore all the participation during the contest so as to not bias myself, and play all the games with a blind eye unaware of their development process (the teams are participating with each other, not the judges happy.png), but Slicer will have to clarify that for me.

As a judge you are free to commit to judging the way you see fit, but participating in conversations, giving feedback, and such is perfectly fine, Overall i don't think it should be an issue so long as no judge gets too involved in any particular teams progress.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.
Advertisement

Some users used twitter, which is harder to track, so make sure you post your twitter feed - and I'd still recommend a thread or journal (one or the other). My unofficial opinion is this: the point is to encourage more participation with each other during the contest, to make it more enjoyable, so commenting in other people's threads and on their journal posts, and responding to other people's comments in your thread/journal is important also.

Ah good, I hadn't thought about it that way. It certainly sounds like a lot of fun to be involved with the other contestants in that way. I'll also look into creating a Journal.

SotL does a great job of explaining this, but i'd like to also add that you must put your updates in the contest thread, that will be a separate thread from this one which will be created once the contest starts. Rather those updates are from twitter, dev journals, or just writing to the thread itself, please be sure to drop a link into the contest thread. As well, i'd like to also add that conversing and giving feedback to other people's journals is also a sure-fire way to obtain those juicy participation points, but doing so is not 100% necessary.

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know.

Hello, hello, hello! I'm eager to get my hands dirty and am all pumped up!

Kindly add me to the participants list.

Team: SwankyPants
Members: Aielemental
Twitter handle: aielemental

Hello, hello, hello! I'm eager to get my hands dirty and am all pumped up!
Kindly add me to the participants list.

Team: SwankyPants
Members: Aielemental
Twitter handle: aielemental

Added you! =-)
We are coming down to the last couple weeks before the competition begins, how are you all prepping?
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

Reminder: If anyone's interested in getting a temporary license for Houdini Indie, let me know. Sooner is better!

Advertisement

We are coming down to the last couple weeks before the competition begins, how are you all prepping?

I haven't used my own PC in over a week.

Work is boring my tits off (I am a game programmer, but barely making games.)

So my prep has basically been deprivation! Can't wait to MAKE SOMETHING!

I had planned on posting it on Friday, but since we've been prompted, I'll do so now: My first blog post of the competition, a "prenatal".

In short, it describes my preparations, my plans, and my feelings in general regarding the competition.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

I'm gonna be participating. Some friends might help with art, but other then that I'll be doing this alone. I also am still debating what framework/engine/language I am going to use.

My CVMy money management app: ELFSHMy game about shooting triangles: Lazer of Death

I'm going to be on Team JamCats, really looking forwards to this thing!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement