Advertisement

Shopping for a new Mac desktop (iMac?)

Started by December 18, 2007 06:34 PM
30 comments, last by speciesUnknown 16 years, 7 months ago
Quote: Original post by Oluseyi
You mean "what size?". Go to an electronics shop and pick up one of those jeweler's kits; it'll have everything you need - the one next to me here has 6 screwdrivers, two Phillips and four flats - and two full-size drivers (one Phillips, one flat). It'll all set you back maybe 10 bucks. 20 if you go for really, really sturdy stuff.

"Size" is indeed what I meant (type is completely redundant when I specific Phillips head [smile]). My mind is a complete fog this week; that's one reason why I'm putting off making this expensive purchase until I can think straight for more than an hour. The weekend can't come fast enough. Thanks; I'll head over to the local electronics store and see what they've got.

Quote: I'm leaning toward the 20" iMac, since I've decided to upsize my Cintiq to the 20WSX. The screen on the 24" is gorgeous, but it's not necessarily US$300 gorgeous. It's certainly not gorgeous enough for me to give up a second monitor. It's not gorgeous enough to account for about 8GB of RAM! (4GB of Kingston memory specifically for the 20" iMac goes for $110 to $130.)

Yes, that's what I'm considering too. However, I'm debating about whether I've got the room for a second monitor right now; my desk space is pretty tight. I might get the larger 24" iMac and then save up for a second 24" monitor and a larger massive desk. But I might have been influenced by the forum discussions on the iMac that dis the quality of the 20"; I'll need to head to the nearby Apple store and try out a LCD test page like this one and see if there's any noticable difference.

Quote: But that's just me. The productivity gains from a second monitor - and, in my case, a tablet-enabled second monitor - outweigh any advantages in one oversize screen. I'll buy a large television for my 10-foot experiences. [smile]

In my case I've got far, far less room for a large TV than a large computer. My current TV is only 13" and it's taking up all the room I can afford. Chalk that up to living in a one room unit in a postgrad college [smile]. With a 76 key electronic keyboard and a bookcase I've completely run out of wall space.
Quote: Original post by Trapper Zoid
...I'm debating about whether I've got the room for a second monitor right now; my desk space is pretty tight. I might get the larger 24" iMac and then save up for a second 24" monitor and a larger massive desk.

Better be sure such a workspace is actually practical for you. I recommend visiting an Apple Store and staring at a 24-incher for a while. That thing is positively huge!

Quote: But I might have been influenced by the forum discussions on the iMac that dis the quality of the 20"; I'll need to head to the nearby Apple store and try out a LCD test page like

Even if there is a noticeable difference, how much is that worth to you? Most computer dweebs (you know, those of us who go arguing over the specs of machines we don't own on internet forums [smile]) are obsessed with getting the latest, greatest, mostest and bestest. I'm not. My decision to purchase an iMac is itself a reflection of compromise, a conscious decision to exit the megahertz, shaders and gigabyte wars and buy as simple a machine as meets my needs. If you listen to them, you'll end up spending a lot more money in both the near and long term, first on a more expensive iMac, then on a more expensive companion screen.

If you go with the 24" - and it is a gorgeous machine - be sure you're going with it because it makes a difference to you, not to Anonymous Internet Dweeb #791273.

Quote: In my case I've got far, far less room for a large TV than a large computer. My current TV is only 13" and it's taking up all the room I can afford. Chalk that up to living in a one room unit in a postgrad college [smile]. With a 76 key electronic keyboard and a bookcase I've completely run out of wall space.

True, I do have this spacious two-bedroom apartment all to myself, with the intention of converting the second bedroom into my home office. Of course, this raises the question of why, then, you'd choose to go with the larger machine, larger companion monitor and larger desk - you used the word "massive" - given your confined quarters.

(Ditch the 13" tv, though. You can get a 19" LCD for a very reasonable amount, and it won't take up more more horizontal space. For my living room, I'm looking to go over 30 inches. Maybe even 40; prices are plummeting like stones.)
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Oluseyi
Better be sure such a workspace is actually practical for you. I recommend visiting an Apple Store and staring at a 24-incher for a while. That thing is positively huge!

Unfortunately the cunning salespeople over at the Apple Store have surrounded the iMacs with 30" cinema screens. The 24" still looks huge, but the 20" looks normal. I have to remind myself that I'm currently using a 17" CRT with a 15" viewable space! And maybe bring a tape measure next time.

Quote: Even if there is a noticeable difference, how much is that worth to you? Most computer dweebs (you know, those of us who go arguing over the specs of machines we don't own on internet forums [smile]) are obsessed with getting the latest, greatest, mostest and bestest. I'm not. My decision to purchase an iMac is itself a reflection of compromise, a conscious decision to exit the megahertz, shaders and gigabyte wars and buy as simple a machine as meets my needs. If you listen to them, you'll end up spending a lot more money in both the near and long term, first on a more expensive iMac, then on a more expensive companion screen.

True; I'm usually like that. My current desktop is a A$700 beige box connected to a seven year old 17" CRT monitor (should have upgraded years ago, but I'm somewhat attached to the aging thing). Both models are a fair step up from that. I suppose it's only because I haven't spent my money on gadgets that I've managed to save up enough to buy a new desktop in the first place.

I also guess I'm currently motivated by my lack of a proper laptop at the moment. Problems keep cropping up with my MacBook Pro (to the point where I'm going to have to confront the Apple guys if it isn't workable and in my hands within the next day), and the borrowed old laptop I've been using has just developed hard disk problems. I really need a dependable computer right now, and I find I work better in Mac OS. I suppose I'm a bit worried I'll be making the wrong decision whichever way I go; if I get the 20" I'll be worried I shortchanged myself, and if I get the 24" I'll feel I spent too much on an oversized luxury (it is a bit gargantuan for a work machine).

Quote: True, I do have this spacious two-bedroom apartment all to myself, with the intention of converting the second bedroom into my home office. Of course, this raises the question of why, then, you'd choose to go with the larger machine, larger companion monitor and larger desk - you used the word "massive" - given your confined quarters.

Because I'm finishing up in a few months, and once I graduate I'm moving out (whether I like it or not; postgrad accommodation is like that [smile]). I've owned a very nice large desk for years, but it's been in Melbourne while I'm in confined quarters. I've got no idea how big whereever I'll go next will be; I'm not even sure which city I'll end up in by the end of the year. Maybe not even which country. Of course, the whole computer thing is a bit of bust if that's the case...

Quote: (Ditch the 13" tv, though. You can get a 19" LCD for a very reasonable amount, and it won't take up more more horizontal space. For my living room, I'm looking to go over 30 inches. Maybe even 40; prices are plummeting like stones.)

I only really use the TV with the Wii console, and I only really use that for playing SNES games at the moment. This iMac is going to be the only bit of luxury shopping I can afford to do before I graduate; I'll think about a better TV when I can afford the time to appreciate it.
After comparing the two monitors with that online LCD test, it does appear that the 24" iMac has a superior LCD panel. The 20" iMac has slight but noticeable banding on the gradient test, and the solid purple colour varies a lot based on viewing angle. The 24" doesn't have these problems, although I noticed some very slight horizontal banding effects on the display in general.

Of course, the question is whether the 24" panel is A$450 better than 20". I'll need to total up the costs to make a final decision, but after this discussion I'm leaning towards just getting the smaller 20" iMac and buying a really nice secondary panel in the future.
Save yourself some $$$, get the twenty inch imac and an external 20" or 24" Dell or samsung panel display. You'll get twice the desktop space.
Thanks to everyone. I've put a new 20" iMac on order from the local Apple reseller; I'll most likely get it next week. I'll place an order today for some RAM upgrades so I can bring it up to 4GB, and I'll keep my eyes peeled for a good secondary display when I've got the space to use it (the Mac1 stores around here often have fire sales to clear excess stock; you can get more than a third of the price of an Apple Cinema Display if you can get in quick enough which makes them more affordable. Or I'll look at other good brands; I'm sure to find something great for the amount of money I'll save between the 20" and 24").
Advertisement
Quote: what's a good way of running Windows on a Mac machine?

1) Install Windows Vista Ultimate
2) There is no step 2

It's how I run my MacMini these days. I really tried with Front Row, iTunes, Media Central, and some other apps, and they just don't come close to Windows Vista Media Center for a media computer.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
I don't know - Windows Vista Ultimate is extremely pricey for an OS; I think I've seen it at A$700. That's about as much as the Mac Mini itself.
Vista is just a terrible OS. Its too slow no matter what hardware your running and when it takes about 45 seconds to delete a 40k file thats pathetic. Its so bad I switched to mac and linux. (And im a windows computer tech full time).
Sorry I just hate fixing vistas stupid problems all stupid day lol. Fortunatly the higher ups are realizing that vista is just unusable and we need to switch back to XP in my company :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement