Advertisement

Shopping for a new Mac desktop (iMac?)

Started by December 18, 2007 06:34 PM
30 comments, last by speciesUnknown 16 years, 7 months ago
The 24" does come with faster CPU, though. I think the 24" is totally gorgeous, and if you can afford it, that's the right solution for the things you use your computer for. A distant second would be a MacMini with an external screen; if you get a non-Apple screen, it will save money over the iMac. Upgrading memory in the Mini is a pain, though, you have to be REALLY careful. And you have to find some really thin putty knives, too.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Quote: Original post by hplus0603
The 24" does come with faster CPU, though. I think the 24" is totally gorgeous, and if you can afford it, that's the right solution for the things you use your computer for. A distant second would be a MacMini with an external screen; if you get a non-Apple screen, it will save money over the iMac. Upgrading memory in the Mini is a pain, though, you have to be REALLY careful. And you have to find some really thin putty knives, too.

I'm considering the larger model. The sales guy at the local Mac store who seems to know the most about what he's talking about also recommended it as he said it's the one he's got (although he did also point out for him it was a gift, so the price wasn't an issue for him [smile]).

I'm just a bit concerned that it's a fair bit larger than anything I've ever had before. I'm considering whether I would be better with one large iMac, or a not quite so large iMac with a second monitor. The latter option also allows me to use the second screen for other computers as well.

I'm still waiting until MacWorld reveals any news (or not, as the case may be), although I'm keen on getting a new computer sooner rather than later.

An additional question: what's a good way of running Windows on a Mac machine? I haven't yet fully explored the different options. I'm assuming my options are dual-boot or virtualisation, but I have not yet figured out which is best. I'd need to be able to run my Windows apps on my desktop, which would include my game archive.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Trapper Zoid
Quote: Original post by hplus0603

I'm considering the larger model. The sales guy at the local Mac store who seems to know the most about what he's talking about also recommended it as he said it's the one he's got (although he did also point out for him it was a gift, so the price wasn't an issue for him [smile]).

I'm just a bit concerned that it's a fair bit larger than anything I've ever had before. I'm considering whether I would be better with one large iMac, or a not quite so large iMac with a second monitor. The latter option also allows me to use the second screen for other computers as well.

I'm still waiting until MacWorld reveals any news (or not, as the case may be), although I'm keen on getting a new computer sooner rather than later.

An additional question: what's a good way of running Windows on a Mac machine? I haven't yet fully explored the different options. I'm assuming my options are dual-boot or virtualisation, but I have not yet figured out which is best. I'd need to be able to run my Windows apps on my desktop, which would include my game archive.

It's larger than what you're used too, but you can get use to 24" monitor goodness pretty quickly:)

As for running Windows on Mac, just dual boot. With virtualization, you won't get nearly the speed you want, and dual booting gives fairly good performance for your games. If it was just apps, then virtualization would work.
Now it's after the stir of MacWorld, there wasn't any news on improvements to iMacs, were there? My current impression is that the next upgrade is slated for sometime in the middle of the year, and I'm not sure if that's close enough to warrant waiting.

I'm still up in the air about getting a single large 24" iMac or a 20" iMac and a second screen; I'll need to look more into good secondary monitors to make that decision.
http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

is a handy guide for figuring out when to buy your mac so you don't end up with an obselete one 2 weeks later.
Quote: Original post by Nytegard
http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

is a handy guide for figuring out when to buy your mac so you don't end up with an obselete one 2 weeks later.

Yes, I've been looking at that. Unfortunately the iMac is on the "Buy only if you need it" setting. I'm somewhat between need and want; it'd be a great boon to have it, but I can get by without it.

My main problem at the moment is my MacBook Pro is really screwed up. It's been in for repair for over a month; every time I get it back it still exhibits the same problems (randomly rebooting). I'm sick of not being able to run my Mac software, so I pushed my plans for upgrading my desktop up a notch.

If the next upgrade is something fairly cosmetic; say a slight increase in clock speed; then I don't think that's too much of an issue. But who can really tell what Apple will do?

Advertisement
I'm keeping this thread alive with additional questions.

I've priced up a few different variants of iMac desktops, and people aren't kidding when they say RAM from Apple is overpriced. A 4GB RAM upgrade costs an additional A$1250, while two 2GB Kingston RAM sticks from a Mac reseller store in Melbourne costs around A$420. I hadn't realised RAM was that affordable; it's probably worth going for additional RAM separately and installing it myself.

However I'm a bit wary about installing RAM ever since I burnt out the motherboard of my previous PC doing a memory upgrade. I've read tutorials that suggest that installing RAM is pretty easy on the iMac, but what tools do you need to make it go smoothly? I'm thinking of getting an anti-static wrist strap with the memory (they're cheap), but I'll also need the right sort of Phillips head screwdriver and I haven't read what size I need. I've only got a handful of miscellaneous tools with me at the moment so I want to make sure I've got the right size.

I'm keeping this thread alive with additional questions.

I've priced up a few different variants of iMac desktops, and people aren't kidding when they say RAM from Apple is overpriced. A 4GB RAM upgrade costs an additional A$1250, while two 2GB Kingston RAM sticks from a Mac reseller store in Melbourne costs around A$420. I hadn't realised RAM was that affordable; it's probably worth going for additional RAM separately and installing it myself.

However I'm a bit wary about installing RAM ever since I burnt out the motherboard of my previous PC doing a memory upgrade. I've read tutorials that suggest that installing RAM is pretty easy on the iMac, but what tools do you need to make it go smoothly? I'm thinking of getting an anti-static wrist strap with the memory (they're cheap), but I'll also need the right sort of Phillips head screwdriver and I haven't read what size I need. I've only got a handful of miscellaneous tools with me at the moment so I want to make sure I've got the right size.

There are videos of iMac memory installation on youtube, it is incredibly simple. You don't need any tools other than a philips screwdriver.
Quote: Original post by Umbongo
There are videos of iMac memory installation on youtube, it is incredibly simple. You don't need any tools other than a philips screwdriver.

The diagrams I've seen suggest so; it's just a panel at the bottom, I think. But what type of Phillips screwdriver would I need? I've got one that's about the right size for the small screws you get in the back of PCs (for when you install video cards and what-have-you), but I'm not sure if that's small enough.

I know I could wait until I see the size of the screws, but I'm terrible at estimating the right size of screwdriver and don't want to wreck the head of the screws. I'm not that much of a handy-man.

But what type of Phillips screwdriver would I need?

You mean "what size?". Go to an electronics shop and pick up one of those jeweler's kits; it'll have everything you need - the one next to me here has 6 screwdrivers, two Phillips and four flats - and two full-size drivers (one Phillips, one flat). It'll all set you back maybe 10 bucks. 20 if you go for really, really sturdy stuff.

I'm leaning toward the 20" iMac, since I've decided to upsize my Cintiq to the 20WSX. The screen on the 24" is gorgeous, but it's not necessarily US$300 gorgeous. It's certainly not gorgeous enough for me to give up a second monitor. It's not gorgeous enough to account for about 8GB of RAM! (4GB of Kingston memory specifically for the 20" iMac goes for $110 to $130.)

But that's just me. The productivity gains from a second monitor - and, in my case, a tablet-enabled second monitor - outweigh any advantages in one oversize screen. I'll buy a large television for my 10-foot experiences. [smile]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement