Advertisement

4E5

Started by April 30, 2006 04:21 PM
148 comments, last by Avatar God 18 years, 3 months ago
Quote: Original post by superpig
The site is now officially up

That scared me! I thought somehow the contest was announced and I missed it! Grr, I hate being in school over the summer...

[walks away grumbling something about homework...]
I noticed that the rules state only one entry per entrant is allowed. I'm assuming that means that we can only submit one game total? Any reasoning behind that? Is it just to keep the number of entries more reasonable or to force people to put one best foot forward?

I for one would be interested in submitting a few entries potentially (depending on the elements)...
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Simagery
I noticed that the rules state only one entry per entrant is allowed. I'm assuming that means that we can only submit one game total?
No, you can submit multiple games bundled as a single collection if you want. Simply put, there's no difference between a bunch of separate executables started via separate shortcuts, and a single executable that lets you launch a bunch of separate game modes.

Quote: Any reasoning behind that? Is it just to keep the number of entries more reasonable or to force people to put one best foot forward?
Mmmh, a bit of both, and to make the submission system a bit easier to code.

Quote: I for one would be interested in submitting a few entries potentially (depending on the elements)...
You could do that - for example, one game per element - but they'll be judged as a whole, as if they were separate levels or separate game modes of the same game. Submitting one good game and one bad game makes for an average collection.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote: Original post by superpig
No, you can submit multiple games bundled as a single collection if you want. Simply put, there's no difference between a bunch of separate executables started via separate shortcuts, and a single executable that lets you launch a bunch of separate game modes.

That's a shame. Any possibility of that changing? I can't imagine it'd come up that often (and I don't even know if I'd end up doing it), but I know most of the "big" game competitions allow multiple entries from a single entrant (each judged individually as if from separate entrants). If not, no biggie, but I'd be willing to be a bit more "innovative" in my attempts if I had more than one shot.

As they say, you never know quite what's going to be fun, so it never hurts to throw alot of things against the wall and see what sticks! [grin]
As they say, you never know quite what's going to be fun, so it never hurts to throw alot of things against the wall and see what sticks! [grin]

Luckily, the existence of a large community of game enthusiasts means that you can throw things against the wall well before the submission deadline.
That's a shame. Any possibility of that changing? I can't imagine it'd come up that often (and I don't even know if I'd end up doing it), but I know most of the "big" game competitions allow multiple entries from a single entrant (each judged individually as if from separate entrants). If not, no biggie, but I'd be willing to be a bit more "innovative" in my attempts if I had more than one shot.
You do have more than one shot. If you want, you can build one game every month until you've got five games, then decide which ones are the best (perhaps based on feedback from the forums) and enter them as a collection.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Advertisement
I think there is another contest starting and ending after this one. Is it possible to use a game I build for this contest for the other one also? Or is all games made for this contest made only for use here?

Quote: Original post by MetaKnight
Is it possible to use a game I build for this contest for the other one also?

If the other contest allows it, then sure.

Blast it all! I won't be around when the elements are revealed. I'm going to be about one day late getting started because of that. [sad] Will they be announced on this thread or the contest page? I would imagine the contest page but I just want to make sure. Can't waste any time going to the wrong page.

-AJ
V/R,-AJThere are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't...
Quote: Original post by u235
Blast it all! I won't be around when the elements are revealed. I'm going to be about one day late getting started because of that. [sad] Will they be announced on this thread or the contest page? I would imagine the contest page but I just want to make sure. Can't waste any time going to the wrong page.

The contest runs for like 5 months. I doubt you'll far that far behind [wink]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement