Advertisement

4E5

Started by April 30, 2006 04:21 PM
148 comments, last by Avatar God 18 years, 3 months ago
Quote: Original post by Omid Ghavami
Quote: Original post by Mullvalen
Yes, you could make some sort of polar bear hunting game, which will take place in sweden outside an IKEA store :P

Game of The Year

EDIT: economics: buy stuff @ ikea, emblem: IKEA logo, emotion: well you tell me how it feels to be chased by a polar bear!, and europe already covered ^^

Hehe, yes, exactly what i though. You could sell the polar bear furs as textiles for IKEA.
My blog about personal development for studying people - www.tricktolearn.com
BTW, these elements are great because i think we will see more adventure games and less pussle games now. Yay! Adventure games are great!
My blog about personal development for studying people - www.tricktolearn.com
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Michalson
Emblem...does it have to be singular to count, or can it be plural: "for example, a set of alien emblems that must be brought together to solve a mystery, or special mouse gestures that must be drawn"

It really needs to be a single emblem - the kind of thing that I could stick on a poster to advertise your game, and people would know which game it was without being told the name. You could have the set of alien emblems assemble into the main emblem, though, perhaps.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Emblem...does it have to be singular to count, or can it be plural: "for example, a set of alien emblems that must be brought together to solve a mystery, or special mouse gestures that must be drawn"
Think Triforce.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
In regards to rule 12, what specifically should not be included? I don't have plans to use anything explicity offensive, but could we have some details so we can avoid crossing the line.

From the description we can obviously not include adult (sexually explicit) content.

What about other items, especially those whose severity varies from country to country:

- Violence: What level of violence is considered not AO? Is blood ok? Dismemberment? Violence against innocent people? Violence depending on how consequences are shown in game? Is the limit on violence different depending on if the violence is gratuitous or has actual use (for example player violently losing a leg in a trap ok, while little children being dismembered for no reason not ok)

- Swearing: Is no swearing allowed, censored (implied swearing) allowed, non-gratuitous swearing allowed (swearing that is valid in context), or is there no limit to swearing (i.e. video game adaptation of The Sopranos). Are some words considered more or less offensive then others.

- Culturally Offensive: For example are swastikas and other nazi references banned. In some European countries these are specifically illegal, and in most other places (outside the US) are considered in bad taste. As well, what about content that offends or negatively portrays specific cultures/religions/etc.
Quote: Original post by superpig

It really needs to be a single emblem - the kind of thing that I could stick on a poster to advertise your game, and people would know which game it was without being told the name. You could have the set of alien emblems assemble into the main emblem, though, perhaps.

How would you stick a series of mouse gestures onto a poster?
Advertisement
Well the shape you're trying to trace with the mouse could be on the poster.
With regards to the AO thing, would a game with it's plot based around a rebel group that uses child soldiers be considered mature content, since people generally consider it to be a cruel practice?
Quote: Original post by Oberon_Command
With regards to the AO thing, would a game with it's plot based around a rebel group that uses child soldiers be considered mature content, since people generally consider it to be a cruel practice?

Provided you treat the subject with respect - you don't glorify it, you don't base it around gibbing as many wailing children as possible - then it should be OK.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

How much experience do you need to have a decent shot of competing?

I don't mean winning it, not even getting top 10, but finishing something decent before the deadline which has all four elements and let's say two/three levels. (if there are levels in the game of course :) )

I'd like to join in but I think I'd actually better wait till next year...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement