Advertisement

4E5

Started by April 30, 2006 04:21 PM
148 comments, last by Avatar God 18 years, 3 months ago
Quote: Original post by remigius
I get your point d000hg, but I don't care much for adding in all kinds of flashy effects just for the heck of it. It's just that having SM2 as the base rendering path would give the graphics folks a break, since they won't have to provide a fallback path. Spending additional time on SM2 graphics and having to provide a fallback path isn't a big incentive for choosing this route.
My point exactly - implement SM1.x as the ONLY path. No fall-back path at all. True, you can't do your mind-blowing SM2/3 effects but SM1.x is pretty powerful and capable for making an attractive game. It was only a year or 2 back that most people would have been workjing in 1.X or still supporting it anyway I'd imagine!

But yes, I don't care since I won't use SM2 even if available. And seeing the scores for each category in detail is something I think we should campaign for in 4E5 even if there are no prizes for different areas.
Quote: Original post by d000hg
But yes, I don't care since I won't use SM2 even if available. And seeing the scores for each category in detail is something I think we should campaign for in 4E5 even if there are no prizes for different areas.

They have to decide which one is the best, so perhaps they might be able to toss all the games in ten different ranks, as well as perhaps showing the top ten.

Excellent
Great
Good
Decent
Average
Sub-par
Poor
Bad
Horrible

Wouldn't be too descriptive, but at least it would be something they could do without causing to much trouble. Or maybe the moderaters could accept a few volunteers to unofficailly rank the entrys, and provide feedback.
Advertisement
It really doesn't take that long to provide a few comments on each and every game. Whether it's "This game is all-around terrible," "Doesn't run," or "Great graphics! Difficult to control at first, but eventually got the hang of it. The sound occasionaly cuts out, and I keep walking off the edge of the world. Much enjoyment!" it should be very easy to keep track of as you go through the entries. Then just type it up in a post. Done! Ten extra minutes!

Anyway, at the least, show the category ratings.

...and I still can't wait... [grin]
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Boder gets sad when games just don't run and the issue doesn't get fixed. I'm not talking about not meeting the minimum requirements, I'm talking about the instacrashes on loading.

One more issue that should be dealt with is the forum for all the entries. Last time some games got their own threads, but with so many entries it can be a problem.

The interaction with other gamedevers is part of the fun and interaction should be encouraged with the community to fix bugs and those aforementioned instacrashes. Maybe have a special forum somewhere with a stickied thread for each entry, so they all fit on one big page. I'm not sure.
Quote: Original post by Boder
One more issue that should be dealt with is the forum for all the entries. Last time some games got their own threads, but with so many entries it can be a problem.

The interaction with other gamedevers is part of the fun and interaction should be encouraged with the community to fix bugs and those aforementioned instacrashes. Maybe have a special forum somewhere with a stickied thread for each entry, so they all fit on one big page. I'm not sure.
I like that idea (perhaps changed so that game-specific threads are stickied if they're created first). Even if some of the games receive only a few comments, it's a nice way to keep the specific comments all in one place. The remaining threads could compare games, talk about 'graphics' or some other facet, or be for the general, fun-loving gossip we all like so much [grin].
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Oh the suspense!!!! I don't think I can wait 2 more days...
Advertisement
The site is now officially up

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote: Elements Announced: June 3, 2006, at 1100 hours EST

*Sweat*

This is only making me have a deeper longing to find out the elements and get started. [lol]

Just a matter of hours/days now.

Can I confirm that's 4pm (1600 Hours) GMT...
Quote: Original post by AdamWebb

Can I confirm that's 4pm (1600 Hours) GMT...

It's actually 1500 GMT, but we're GMT+1 in the UK at the moment thanks to Daylight Savings Time. So yes, it starts at 4pm in the UK.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement