🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Linux vs. Windows

Started by
76 comments, last by Indeterminatus 24 years ago
If you mean standards help development, I couldn''t agree more.

Shame hardware manufacturers don''t. With the sheer number of different incompatible chipsets out there, it''s very hard and time consuming to develop drivers for every last piece of hardware. This is why Linux has been lacking in this area until recently.

IHVs (Independant Hardware Vendors) cater to the market that makes them money. Until recently, their hardware didn''t work on Linux, so no Linux users bought it, so they didn''t support Linux. Now Linux has a larger commercial support base, IHVs can develop Linux drivers for their chipsets and make a profit. It''s no longer a niche market.

Mark Collins (aka Nurgle)
me@thisisnurgle.org.uk

After careful deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that Nazrix is not cool. I am sorry for any inconvienience my previous mistake may have caused. We now return you to the original programming

Advertisement
AP, what you mean is like Assembler in former days...
Every assembler for a certain processor, no compatiblity between processor classes...
Yes, sure that''s a problem, but I think the guys working on Linux will fix that...

Godfree^: How many posts do we need to make it into the forum stats ?

Yours,

Indeterminatus

--si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses...
Indeterminatus--si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses--
50 posts gets us in there..

We're coming up to 35...

me@thisisnurgle.org.uk

Edited by - Godfree^ on June 15, 2000 11:00:39 AM

After careful deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that Nazrix is not cool. I am sorry for any inconvienience my previous mistake may have caused. We now return you to the original programming

Godfree^: Why don''t you think that certain standards help development?

I''m talking as a computergame player now...
it would be really cool if you wouldn''t have to fit certain requirements (such as: you MUST have a 3Dfx card for hardware support...)
You could play every game you like (because you don''t need to worry whether your graphic card corresponds to the requirements or not...)

On the other hand, such development yells for a monopol...yes, you''re right...there shouldn''t be a standard...

Yours,

Indeterminatus

You misunderstand my post.

Standards are good for development. They allow developers to write once, run anywhere (vaguely). In a fragmented world, this just doesn''t happen. That''s why APIs such as DirectX, OpenGL and SDL came into existance. To make a standard way of accessing the hardware without having to recompile the program everytime you upgrade/move to a different PC.

me@thisisnurgle.org.uk

Just a little factoid not many people know:

Whenever and however an OS crashes it is ALWAYS (with two exceptions, read below) the OSes fault.

- Bad, Incompatablie, or etc. hardware problems
- Power problems

So when you blame Windows for crashing it is its fault, the same can be said for Linux.

Now you may be wondering about something like if VMWare crashes it. Well, it tinkers around with hardware in a place where the OS should not block it, and if it causes a problem, then the hardware messed up, so that is one time the os isn''t at fault.

-----------------------------

A wise man once said "A person with half a clue is more dangerous than a person with or without one."
-----------------------------A wise man once said "A person with half a clue is more dangerous than a person with or without one."The Micro$haft BSOD T-Shirt
Just to pick up the topic from above (..."if you could easily import windows databases to linux and vice versa"...)

I think that would make Linux MUCH more popular, because I hear people talking around me, who utter they won''t purchase Linux because then they couldn''t load an OFFICE-document (or database ).
(I know in some respects it''s rubbish, because there''s already a program out for Linux which supports the format of MS Word...)

Yours,

Indeterminatus

ImmaGNUMan:

The most common cuase of a crash is code that does in essence the following:

Start:
jmp Start

(i.e. puts the processor in a very tight loop. Code like that will generally occupy most of the CPU time on any operating, no matter how good it is at multitasking)

Ind.:
ODBC is an attempt at an open standard for database access, but I expcet you mean databases such as Access.

Access is shite. Even Windoze users''ll prolly agree with me on that one.

As for office documents, StarOffice and WordPerfect both support word documents (SO also has support for excel and powerpoint I believe, but I''m a programmer, not an accountant/salesman, so I don''t use spreadsheets or presentation software)

me@thisisnurgle.org.uk

I have another question: How many posts do I need to get an Avatar (now I''m dedicated, I think...)?

Indeterminatus

Godfree^: I know how to make a computer crash with Assembler , because I have been programming with that language for about 3 years...

Yours,

Indeterminatus

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement