🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Linux vs. Windows

Started by
76 comments, last by Indeterminatus 24 years ago
And can I just add, for Linux which User Interface are you talking about. I mean, there are a number of interfaces each with their own look and feel.

For screenshots, check the web, lot are out there.
-----------------------------------------------All messages are of my own personal opinion and not meant to offend. But if they do - tough :)Neuro.
Advertisement
I have heard a lot of people complain about windows crashing , as far as I am concerned , I have used windows from 3.1 , win95 , win98 and Win2k and os course the Nt versions , but I have never had any problems even tho I do some freaky stuff wih my system . Maybe its because I have always been a microsoft tech . Anyway , I have had bad experiences with Macs , and I had a hard time installing linux . Afer finally installing it , I just couldn''t get Xwindows configure properly the computer would lock up when I tried to start it and none of my linux guru friends could fix it either . I havent given up tho .

Anyway , right now I support Dell products and Dell is shipping out some linux Boxes and Laptops . Linux is heading in the right direction espacially with the big dogs realizing it potential . As a matter of fact I will be taking Linux classes at work I do have a couple of questions , does Linux have USB , USB2 , livewire support ? Does it have some kind of com interface , I know java has java beans and Unix has some kind of com .

There are only four types of men , RichMan , PoorMan , BeggarMan , Thief........
I was influenced by the Ghetto you ruined.
Kernel 2.4 (currently in pre-release) has USB support, as for COM, that''s a windows thing. There is CORBA support (which I understand to be similar to COM, but don''t quote me on that)

The main reason for using COM is the fact that you can upgrade the COM object without having to upgrade code (IObject is an abstract type). This is just another way of using DLLs and shared libraries without breaking dependencies.

Most Linux libraries can be upgraded without breaking dependancies, so a COM-like system is allready used, but not in the same fashion.

Mark Collins (aka Nurgle)
me@thisisnurgle.org.uk

After careful deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that Nazrix is not cool. I am sorry for any inconvienience my previous mistake may have caused. We now return you to the original programming

Please, excuse me while I post something worthless.

EEK! I never thought this thread would ever be created! Geez, I was also expecting a flame war of some sort to form also!

(Look, I have lotsa power over you here.... BUIAHAHAHAHA - Godfree^)

------------------------
Captured Reality.

Edited by - Godfree^ on June 19, 2000 3:35:20 PM
Oh god save us!

nes8but is here!

RUN! RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN!

This channel is going to hell now.

me@thisisnurgle.org.uk

After careful deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that Nazrix is not cool. I am sorry for any inconvienience my previous mistake may have caused. We now return you to the original programming

WOHO!

------------------------
Captured Reality.
Ah man. Did I kill the debate? If so, then let me refuel the conversation. (I made a funny)

WinDOwzE RulEz!!!

Someone flame THAT!

------------------------
Captured Reality

Edited by - nes8bit on June 21, 2000 4:42:37 AM
grrrrr

damn you nes8bit... now I have to close the thread...

me@thisisnurgle.org.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement