🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Linux vs. Windows

Started by
76 comments, last by Indeterminatus 24 years ago
Ya know, I was talking with a friend of mine yesterday (who is a big linux supporter) and I realized something. Windows is a necessary evil. In the last few days at work I''ve been surfing the web looking for good Windows Corba compilers, and saw a bunch that were free for Linux, but they all cost money for the Windows version. My friend uses QT to write applications that will run on both Linux and Windows, and the Linux version is free (source code and all) but the windows compiler costs money.

Now, what would happen if everyone started using Linux instead of Windows? All of these companies that offer the Linux/Unix version of their software for free would either go under, or they would have to start charging for the Linux versions. Right now the market share that Windows has is what is keeping so much of the Linux software free...
- Houdini
Advertisement
Oh no! What have I done? I was the auctor of a real WAR!
I didn''t mean no harm! Sorry to all who feel offended! Sure Windows has it''s plusses and Linux it''s minusses (and the other way round), but that''ll always be this way! I''m sure an OS will NEVER be perfect, but I had the impression, that Linux would be better than Windows, when I installed it too (and I have them both running...Windows 98 SE and Linux 6.4-with the newest Kernel available...)
And I don''t think that everyone hates Windows! Just look around and you''ll be proved of the opposite (that doesn''t mean that everyone LOVES Windows...).
Please forgive me for my sarcastic expressions
Godfree^: I didn''t want to start no fight, and I think I managed it to prevent everybody from taking his "weapon"...

So, finally:

Both OS (Windows and Linux) have their own advantages and disadvantages.

That''s it!

If somebody still wants to add something, please try not to provocate anyone...

Yours,

Indeterminatus

--si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses...
Indeterminatus--si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses--
I would just like to say that the whole thing over OpenGl Vs DirectX is not really fair as DirectX is a collection of api, video,sound,network etc. Opengl on the other hand is only graphics.

The reason that DirectX is so popular is becuase it works and it is quite easy to get into. I''m very new to game development but I read through the directx documentation and had a small test app with graphics (2d) and sound.

If Linux had a simliar set of api''s in one package with the quality of documentation not just quantity of documenation that Linux has then I would be much more inclinded to develop a game under Linux.

If I''ve got things wrong in the above then please correct me. I would just like to say that I belive that Linux can become much bigger with the right type of focusing on areas, e.g. standard sets of functions that can be used on all distros to do simple things with video cards.
I never accused you of starting a fight.

The only people who brought this close to a flame war were the Anonymous Coward and eng3d.

Indeterminatus, you actually started a good discussion... something this forum has lacked for a looong time.... who knows... if we keep this one going, we might make it into the forum stats

Mark Collins (aka Nurgle)
me@thisisnurgle.org.uk

After careful deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that Nazrix is not cool. I am sorry for any inconvienience my previous mistake may have caused. We now return you to the original programming

Anonymous poster:

Libraries exist that offers DirectX-like functionality for Linux (read the FAQ). It can act as a wrapper for video, sound, input and OpenGL.

regarding the OpenGL vs. DirectX thing, this has been going on years... I remember when I was getting into games programming on a Windoze box, I took part in this war (on the side of OpenGL).

Today, however, I thikn DirectX (or more specifically, Direct3D) has gotten much better than OpenGL.

My $.02 anyway...

me@thisisnurgle.org.uk

After careful deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that Nazrix is not cool. I am sorry for any inconvienience my previous mistake may have caused. We now return you to the original programming

Ha! I have the feeling there''s someone online now

Indeterminatus

I do reliase that there are libaries but one of the advantages of windows (and microsofts big M word) is that there is a standard libary that will work on all systems that have windows on them.

I think this is what is missing from the linux distros, it a bit like the old apps that each had their own printer drivers. Standards are useful but I know alot of people don''t like them becuase they think it will restrict development.

Another thing I would like to point out is (I do like Linux... really) that simple things such as installation are, compared with Windows quite a bit harder. A InstallShield type application would be much wanted in Linux
quote: Original post by Godfree^

Anonymous poster:

Libraries exist that offers DirectX-like functionality for Linux (read the FAQ). It can act as a wrapper for video, sound, input and OpenGL.

regarding the OpenGL vs. DirectX thing, this has been going on years... I remember when I was getting into games programming on a Windoze box, I took part in this war (on the side of OpenGL).

Today, however, I thikn DirectX (or more specifically, Direct3D) has gotten much better than OpenGL.

My $.02 anyway...

me@thisisnurgle.org.uk

There''s always someone online... (usually me... shame about the phone bill)

me@thisisnurgle.org.uk

AP:

You raise some good points.

However....

Support for hardware under linux is improving dramatically. Most hardware runs under Linux (albeit, it''s sometimes a pin to setup, but even that''s improving too).

Regarding the libraries things, SDL and the ilk work in a very similar way to DirectX, through a "Hardware Abstraction Layer". Instead of talking to the hardware directly, they talk to an interface (such as X, OSS etc etc), and the interface itself talks to the hardware. Some APIs (such as CrystalSpace) require seperate drivers for different hardware, but I like SDL, mainly because it''s a standard interface, and very similar to DirectX.

me@thisisnurgle.org.uk

I think certain Standards foster development (as long as the "standard" doesn't mean a monopol on anything...).
It would be cool if Linux and Windows would correspond to each other... I mean if you could easily import Windows databases to Linux and vice versa...
To my mind that would help a lot...

Yours,

Indeterminatus

Edited by - Indeterminatus on June 15, 2000 10:52:57 AM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement