🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Do Nerds get Girls???

Started by
86 comments, last by MuffinKnight 24 years, 3 months ago
Wow, after looking at all of you who do have girlfriends, I''m even more depressed than ever

If you code it, they will come...

Commander M
http://commanderm.8m.com
cmndrm@commanderm.8m.com
Advertisement
You are only a nerd when you think you are
BBBBBBRAVER
Thats ok man, i get it all the time...cant wait until windows world *mwahahahahahahaa*

You know what being a nerd isn''t bad. You have to make it work for you though. I mean when I meet girls and tell them that I want to program computer games for a living, they think it interesting and I''ll tell you why. I because I''m passionate about it, girls like passion big time. They figure that if you''re passionate about something like computer games then you can be passionate about them without a problem, it shows that you have goals and your not just another loser they meet every other day.

I mean I''m a huge nerd and proud of it. I have a frinkin R2-D2 tattoo for crying out load. I figured out that you have to do other things beside computers. Only one of my close friends is a power user like me, the others can barely turn their machine on. It refreshing to talk and think about other things. I play guitar in a punk band (which helps with the ladies too), I go to parties, and just try to meet as many people as I can.

You must have self confidence if you want to meet the fly ladies. Be sure of yourself. Women can smell nervousness a mile away and not just cuz you start to sweat. If you believe in youself others will too. Just don''t let the confidence get to the "I''m a making an ass out of myself" level.

-MacBeth

I''m not a nerd.. I am Super Geek!... I go to Work and spend 9 - 10 hours a day in front of a computer.. I then go home and spend another 4 hours in-front of MY computer (and that’s just the weekdays!)... I am married and had found that dating was hard because of our intelligence (from my own experiences).. I say this because some of us Super Geeks have problem talking to other people... I don''t think that I can spend more that 2 min. in a conversation without the word "Computer", "NT", "Speed", "RAM", or "where’s my scrilla!" (I''m a professional contractor so I like money).. For people like Me (you know who U R) dating (long term) or marriage becomes a quest for tolerance.. not on our part as much is it is on the other person! When I was in High school I dated only once (yes 1 date... couldn''t pull myself away from the Sega/Nintendo.. all models and games)... went to collage but couldn''t pull myself away from the computer.. got a job at a clothing store (1 year), met lots of lady''s and dated all the time (inbetween new game releases)... none ever worked out... Just couldn''t communicate at their level... Then I met my wife.. Average looking.. Average height.. Average weight.. Average intelligence.. but she understood what and who I was.. A computer Super Geek!.... Married her (dated for a while though)... Best thing I ever did... Hell we both LOVE shopping, She loves new clothes and shoes and I love to shop for NEW computer Parts!!! Good thing we computer People make lots of money (I don''t know if that is a good thing though?)
My point is.. If you can find someone that understands who or what you are about and doesn’t pressure you to change your life style (it doesn’t work I tried!)… that is the one to stay with (minus the gold diggers you’ll understand when the money comes in!)… Finding the right person takes time.. If you are in school.. go get a job at a clothing store!!!!!!!!! The job will suck but the dating will off-set that!!

4hour
Yeah, you can disagree, but denial can''t make it untrue. As long as it works, as long as I get real friends and as long as I like what I''m doing it''s okay. I suggested that tactic for newbies, It''s good way to get into night life from which way you can get chicks, too. Also Alchohol is ok if You are not the one who uses it. As long as you have friends on the same bandwidth it''s cool. I don''t see any ethically wrong things in it? But the main thing was that I wrote it as ironic joke. I just can''t see why I got whacko posts from A.P. and that guys from malaysia or whereever. I don''t consider myself as nerd, well I''m pretty close, but not a nerd, It''s actually cool to know so much about something that you are really one of the best(In Game Dev. I bet here is some cool dudes with lot''s of programming exp...)
I may be a nerd. I do spend lots of time in front of a computer, but only because I hope to earn money from it - I don''t just play games, etc. (I am a programmer .) I do not class my self as a nerd, only because I know that I am.

I also have the worst case of no self-confidence you have ever seen. I go to school, and will be in college in a few months (I live in the UK and am 16, 17 in October), and I have only about three *real* freinds, who are also unpopular within my peers. I cannot talk to anybody. I cannot even sit in a lesson without going bright red - sometimes for reasons I don''t even no. Once I was asked to give a presentation in assembly, and I agreed because I didn''t have the guts to say no, and then on the day I had to lock myself in the toliets and pretend to have a bad stomache ache just to get out of it - and the worst thing is, I know I could have performed the speech perfectly, but I would have been scarlet the whole time.

I am also going to be sitting my GCSE exams in one month, and although I am in the top group for everything, I am badly underacheiving becasue I don''t even have the guts to ask my teacher for help, even at lunch time when no-one else is arround. I spend my whole lunch hour in the computer room, not really doing anything, just general stuff - never homework/coursework. Never with other people.

Is there any kind of professional help I can get to boost my self-confidence. I have seen hypnotic tapes before, but not recently - do these work? I am getting really worried - I am nearly 17 and I can''t talk to anybody - how the hell am i going to get a job? I also have a STD (minor, non contagous) which I contracted while *having sex* with my dog (I am not kidding, I did).

Actually, writting this has maybe helped me in some ways, becasuse it has taken me about 40 mins, and I have admitted to myself things which I would normally not want to think about. The sad truth is, I can see myself comitting suicide in the future if I don''t get any friends, not-necesserily girls, boys would do (as friends only, I am not gay - at least I don''t think so).

This is only a fraction of what is happening inside my head at the moment. You cannot begin to imagine what it feels like to be a teenager and be this *unwanted*. People at school get up if I sit next to them. I never got picked in sport, and hated the showers because of my penis (it is not particularly small - average - but I have ginger pubic hairs, and I am, in my opinion very ugly).

Well, I must stop now because if any of you have been reading all of this so far, you will be getting sick of hearing my problems. If anybody could help me overcome my non-existant self-confidence problem, I would be so unbelievably grateful, you would not beleive it.

A very unhappy teenager signing off...

- Bye.
Hahahahah! Don''t make me laugh, super buddy! Nerds don''t get girls! They''re all homosexual. "Do nerds get girls?" What a dumb question!

More good news from...
Captain FREEDOM!!
Hahahahah! Don''t make me laugh, super buddy! Nerds don''t get girls! They''re all homosexual. "Do nerds get girls?" What a dumb question!

More good news from...
Captain FREEDOM!!
Having mentally reworked my definition of a nerd, I now partially am a "nerd". The only people that ever say anything malicious to me are those who want to be good with computers but don''t bother (to my knowledge I am the ONLY person in a 3000 person school that now programs C++, and I''m not particularly good at it yet, and would say compared to most people here am only just past the novice/beginner stage...), and I''m about 99% sure this is attributable to jealousy =) And that makes me feel good about myself =)
Apart from that confidence is important... both for yourself and your public image... without confidence I''d have stopped programming ages ago as there is nothing to encourage me here (we only have 1 IT course in school: 1.5 hours a week and it includes really low-level VBa! And web design!)
And then my own self-esteem stops me from taking drugs to suit the group of people who do so. (in the famous words of Mr. Mackay "Drugs are bad for you, mmkay" or something similar ) please don''t take the last paragraph as a reason for starting flamewar...!
Be yourself and be proud of it

J2xC

------------------------------
About time I put something funny here? I think so too...
J2xC (J. Connolly) Ah! By popular demand, I shall no longer resist...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement