Advertisement

Someone please help me with windows game programming!

Started by February 14, 2000 08:04 PM
4 comments, last by seekerofknowledge 24 years, 7 months ago
I''ve been wanting to make games all my life. I learned C and have been programming in C for 1 year now. I want to make games in windows with direct x and have bought numerous books on the subject. Problem is, I don''t understand direct x at all. Direct x code looks like chinese to me. Can anyone point me in the right direction that explains clearly how to start off with windows direct x programming?(no books please, I''ve blown enough money!) Thanks!
Here''s a little tip that almost everyone in the world uses before purchasing a book-
Before you buy it, stand and read the book that you''re interested in. Read the introduction, or whatever; this will tell you where the book is going to take you. For example, in a Direct X book, you should read the introduction. This usually tells you where you''ll be going throughout the course of the book. If that fails, then read the bit of the first or second chapter (whichever shows you some actual code). If the book starts out too difficult for you to understand, then skip the book and try a different one; else { buy_the_book }

If you spend a little time choosing your books wisely, you''ll save yourself a lot of cash.
3D Math- The type of mathematics that'll put hair on your chest!
Advertisement
Work through the SDK tutorials.. they will help get you going... What part of directX confuses you... I may be able to help.
hey I think that be looking at the code in you compiler and fooling with some of it also helps! Shure you could mess it up be maybe you will find some cool line and change the way the program looks! Then you will be like Hey This Is Cool! and be interested in other things to keep you motivated!

later
node_5r
yeah I looked at the source a bunch, but the SDKs... that''s something new! I better go try that out. Specifically, I''m having problems with all the functions I have to use just to get a bitmap to the screen! I never relized it took that much work...
forgot to put my screename up there...
it''s me on the last post

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement