🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

End of the world

Started by
126 comments, last by Calin 4 years, 3 months ago

Green_Baron said:
or at least heavily in need of proof.

Me playing any game with a 10 years old machine is proof enough for me.
And recently i did upgrade. 2 times faster. Maybe a bit more here in there, but in practice mostly less.

Additionally to the slowdown in increasing performance, we now also see a larger increase in price for smaller process nodes, which i think is something new but not sure.

Advertisement

Calin said:

NikiTo said:
“While I dissagre with how you chose to treat people on some issues, you`re right on the nose.”

sorry , I`m not going to side with you just because you`re right on some issues

Thanks! Second comma means i am right about everything. The treatment to people is because i am an asperger. I do what i can to not piss off everyone who is not an asperger in the world, but it is not easy.

I should lie in the beginning. Say i like the same football team as the person i am talking to. Accept his political orientation, enter under his skin, manipulate him to like me, and then use him for my benefit. I should do that as any normal person. I know. But because i am a broken asperger, i just tell directly to people what i think.

@green_baron I claimed nothing like that. I used “If” always.

NikiTo said:
If we get stuck in the end of Moore's Law. And there are no quantum computers yet, and not faster silicon either,

NikiTo said:
But if we get stuck in the end of Moore's Law

NikiTo said:
Right now it is not needed, because for the boost it gives us, it is not worth the time. But if Moore's Law is completely stuck,

@joej I abandoned it because of lower productivity compared to HLL. I use JS to develop my ideas. Then i pass it to C++ + HLSL. In the end I could replace C++ with ASM, but better directly HDL.

You reuse a lot of code all the time in ASM. I personally reuse code regardless the language, in order to avoid errors(hopefully the reused code has no errors…). If not, you copy paste around a lot.

@calin : you mean asymptotic ?

@joej : Somethings wrong. For instance a RTX 2080TI from 2018 offers around 8 times the performance of a GTX 590 from 2010., after https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2080-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-590-SLI-Disabled/4027vsm8041. Hope i didn't make a mistake, if so i'll soon get to hear it …

I recently compared my old GTX970 with a 1080 (was it a 2080 ?) and the difference was ~2times. Well, that was 2 years ago already it seems, lol :-)

Recent CPUs have up to 128 threads (for now). Yeah, they are expensive. But just wait bit …

[edited] no offence taken NikiTo I`m playing

My project`s facebook page is “DreamLand Page”

Green_Baron said:
@joej : Somethings wrong. For instance a GTX 2080TI from last year offers around 8 times the performance than a GTX 590 from 2010

I meant about CPU only. GPUs are less ‘stuck’, but there is also a slow down, e.g. looking at PlayStation generations:

PS: 0.03 GF

PS2: 6 GF * 200

ps3: 230 GF * 38

ps4: 1800 GF * 7.8

ps5: 10000 GF * 5.5

(I hope i did this correctly)

Parallelism is some sort of cheating.

A single core of 2 GHz will ALWAYS be faster or equal as 2 cores 1 GHz each. And the CPUs piled up inside our GPUs are silly compared to our main CPUs.

Aiming for parallelism is a kind of cheating. At any moment we were able, and we will be always able to connect many computers making them work together.

Just because it's fun throwing around silly arguments: i bet you won't switch off 11 cylinders of a 12 cylinder engine, just to prove it's not faster than a 1-pot two stroke engine ;-)

Green_Baron said:

Just because it's fun throwing around silly arguments: i bet you won't switch off 11 cylinders of a 12 cylinder engine, just to prove it's not faster than a 1-pot two stroke engine ;-)

You make now less sense than Calin…

World speed record was hold by a 4 cylinders in line engine car for 23 years. 16 Engine Bugatti was not able to beat that record until 2010.

If your main goal is to contradict me, you will not get too far in this.

NikiTo said:
Second comma means i am right about everything

No , the only definite thing you can imply from changing the place of the coma is that I dissagre with you on how you treat people sometimes, but in that case right on the nose bit hangs in the air, you could take it as if I`m stating you`re right all the time but it`s not mandatory

My project`s facebook page is “DreamLand Page”

@nikito Don't be so dismissive and personal. Your claims are in need of citation (not just that I won't get far ;-)). The record was broken in 2012 by a v8, and again in 2018 by a very old car with two v8s. Edit: of course, if we only look at internal combustion engines.

And still, i mean it was an analogy for all the oversimplifications (didn't that show ?): would you switch off all cores - 1 just to proove you're not faster ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement