🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

New interface

Started by
70 comments, last by Brain 7 years, 7 months ago

One thing I miss from the old layout is having unread threads bold while read threads are normal in the forum list, as it made it a lot easier to see at a glance (even with the blue highlight I find I have to double-check).

Currently both unread and read are bold.

I like where the new design is going, but I've going to have to agree with Lactose! on this particular subject. I have a much harder time seeing which posts are read and which ones aren't with the new design. I think it's partially the font, but it also feels like the unread posts have a much less pronounced background as well now..? Maybe that's just my imagination or screen settings or something..

[Edit] It's my screen. Using another screen, it's still rather pronounced. This is interesting though, I didn't have problems seeing it before. Does anyone know if poor dynamic contrast settings could affect this?

It's possible that the color changes reduced the relative perception of the unread row background color. Personally, I use the unread dot a lot more, but I'll see what we can do with the background to make it more pronounced for low contrast screens.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Advertisement

I noticed there is no donate link anymore. Maybe you should re-add it under the GDNet+ dropdown menu as "Donate", or something, just so it's available even if it gets rarely used.

Yeah, I disabled the donate option a few months ago. I can see how some people would still want to use it so I'll think about bringing it back, but I'd much people use the GDNet+ membership to support the site where possible.

Admin for GameDev.net.

It's possible that the color changes reduced the relative perception of the unread row background color. Personally, I use the unread dot a lot more, but I'll see what we can do with the background to make it more pronounced for low contrast screens.

I can confirm that tweaking the settings on my monitor a bit makes it better, but still not as good as the old style. However, after experimenting a bit with custom CSS and examining web.archive.org snapshots, I think the font weight changes are what really does it. Having new items being bold while read items are normal makes it much easier to find unread items.

Changed the background of unread. Better?

Admin for GameDev.net.

It's definitely easier to see now! I'm somewhat torn about the change though. The function-centric part of me loves it, it's very easy to make out new vs old etc, but the looks-centric part of me is a bit sceptical. The new high-contrast blue background might look a bit out of place with the rest of the design.. What does everyone else think?

Maybe leave it but dial back the blue a little bit?

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

(very minor) The tooltip for "Newsletter | Chat | Subscriptions | Latest Content" is covered by the toolbar at the top - those tooltips should maybe go underneath instead.

Currently seeing the icon on all unread threads as being a dark blue dot, regardless of whether I've posted in the thread.

Threads which I've read however, are showing with the unfilled star icon as expected.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

Currently seeing the icon on all unread threads as being a dark blue dot, regardless of whether I've posted in the thread.

Threads which I've read however, are showing with the unfilled star icon as expected.

Dark blue dot is for unread threads. That's expected and has been that way always (people just never seemed to notice it).

The star is for threads you're subscribed to, whether manually or because you are involved in the thread. And depending on your settings might be receiving notifications.

Maybe leave it but dial back the blue a little bit?

It's dialed back.

(very minor) The tooltip for "Newsletter | Chat | Subscriptions | Latest Content" is covered by the toolbar at the top - those tooltips should maybe go underneath instead.

That's known but has been low priority. It'll be fixed soon.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Dark blue dot is for unread threads. That's expected and has been that way always (people just never seemed to notice it). The star is for threads you're subscribed to, whether manually or because you are involved in the thread. And depending on your settings might be receiving notifications.

It's an empty star if read, but a dot if unread. So you can't tell if an unread thread is one you have subscribed to or not. I think. Edit: I'm pretty sure unread watched threads used to have a filled blue star. Or am I going crazy?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement