Advertisement

Can you boil eggs and pasta at the same time?

Started by March 24, 2015 02:38 PM
49 comments, last by fastcall22 9 years, 6 months ago

I wash my hands in my bathroom, not in the kitchen where I prepare food.
You open the door to the bathroom with your unwashed hands, wash your hands, then touch the dirty door handle on the way out... :)

You open the door to the bathroom with your unwashed hands, wash your hands, then touch the dirty door handle on the way out...

Touching bathroom door handles? Are you crazy? blink.png Getting in and out of bathrooms is what elbows and feet are for wink.png

Nah, seriously though, as I wrote in my first post, I'm sure it would be fine. It's just that I have this idea of eggs being rather dirty, and I don't really trust a simple washing to clean it as much as laying it in boiling water for 8 min will do. So even if I was to wash it, I would still feel like the egg water is chicken poop (and worse) juice. (even though it probably is sterilised chicken poop juice and totally safe)

Advertisement

You open the door to the bathroom with your unwashed hands, wash your hands, then touch the dirty door handle on the way out...

Touching bathroom door handles? Are you crazy? blink.png Getting in and out of bathrooms is what elbows and feet are for wink.png

Nah, seriously though, as I wrote in my first post, I'm sure it would be fine. It's just that I have this idea of eggs being rather dirty, and I don't really trust a simple washing to clean it as much as laying it in boiling water for 8 min will do. So even if I was to wash it, I would still feel like the egg water is chicken poop (and worse) juice. (even though it probably is sterilised chicken poop juice)

I guess it seems the ultimate compromise is to cook the eggs after the pasta. Remove the pasta, leaving the water in the pan.. then cook the eggs

Mobile Developer at PawPrint Games ltd.

(Not "mobile" as in I move around a lot, but as in phones, mobile phone developer)

(Although I am mobile. no, not as in a babies mobile, I move from place to place)

(Not "place" as in fish, but location.)

It should be noted that while the eggs may be dirty and have germs, boiling them will kill anything. Unless the eggs are caked in muck, the issue is really of aesthetics rather than safety... a little bit of boiled dirt/poo is not actually dangerous, just unpleasant to think about.

Does it actually matter if there is dirt or feathers on the egg shell because after all you only eat the contents of the egg?

Does it actually matter if there is dirt or feathers on the egg shell because after all you only eat the contents of the egg?

If you're cooking pasta in the same pan, then potentially yes (though as I said it's not realistically a major health problem). It'd be a bit like cooking pasta using water you'd just had a bath in.

Advertisement

Solution: cook the pasta, then break the uncooked egg into it and stir. Add grated stinky cheese and a dash of milk, salt and pepper to taste, maybe a grating of fresh nutmeg. Done.

Next up: cooking your fish balls and choi in the water with the ramen; how the experts do it.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

It'd be a bit like cooking pasta using water you'd just had a bath in.

I'd hope I keep myself clean enough to not collect much feces or mucus or other byproducts.

Eggs can have some poop, plus a layer of ... well ... just call it slime from the hen that is dried on. No thank you. I'll pass on having that stirred into my noodles, even if it has been cooked high enough to kill the germs.

Given the choice between 'few dead germs' and 'more dead germs plus some mucus and feces', I'd prefer the former.

Out of sight, out of mind.

And remember:
Get money, get paid!

-- Kool-Aid

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement