Advertisement

A Collaborative Free and Open-Source OS?

Started by April 06, 2014 07:22 PM
115 comments, last by Tutorial Doctor 10 years, 5 months ago
->snip<-

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

I've seen Iron Man != I can create JARVIS, sadly enough. Sorry to break it to you, guru.

[EDIT: != means does not equal by the way, forgot who I was talking to there...]

Advertisement

Of course you shouldn't be discouraged by other people's comments. My question though was different. There can be great goals, such as the goal to become one of the great minds that contribute to science or engineering, and to make a significant contribution yourself, as part of the effort. Whoever tells you that "you can't do that" can be safely ignored. But then there is the kind of goal that you seem to be stating, which is that, when you enter the field, the work you'll do will be much greater than the collective work of all the people that have worked on that field until now. TIME will feature you in their front page, saying "What all the engineers in the world failed to do in 80 years, this man did in 10". To...borrow yet again from Ironman, you believe in some years people will talk like you like the "feeble" little scientist talked about Tony Stark tongue.png

Little drone scientist with his fancy phd: "-But sir, it's impossible!"

Big Bad CEO: "-Nathan2222 did this in a cave! Using scraps!"

Little drone scientist with his fancy phd, mumbling: "-Well I'm sorry! I'm not Nathan2222!"

That's why I'm asking why you believe you, specifically, will perform such a huge, unprecedented feat. You believe all the others that have worked on AI are much less intelligent than you, much less imaginative, much less resourceful? That most of them simply memorize formulas but lack the passion, the imagination and the ability to look at things with their own unique way? What do you think is it that seperates you from them? By what you're saying, they are also human, and they have also been given a brain from God to do whatever they set their mind into. But they are still struggling, because naturally there are huge objective difficulties. I'm just asking what makes you believe you'll tear down all the barriers that those great minds still only scratch the surface of? In short: Why are you...more special? What do you believe you have that others don't?

It's not healthy to assume something is totally impossible just because everyone tells you it is.

It's also not healthy to assume that everyone else are idiots and that you can come in and solve a problem from a position of total ignorance. Understand why something is considered impossible.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

You believe all the others that have worked on AI are much less intelligent than you, much less imaginative, much less resourceful?

I didn't say that.
I said:

I'm different, everyone is different, everyone can do what they set their mind to

Although i'm not sure how i could grade my imagination.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

So the fact that nobody else has done this yet in your view is because they haven't sufficiently set their minds to it?
Advertisement

Except that this simply isn't true. A lot of very intelligent, imaginative and hard-working people had set in their minds goals and didn't live to see them realized. Einstein had set in his mind the goal of a Unified Field Theory, he didn't made it happen though. You seem to be saying "everyone is different, and the engineers before me, each of them different, did their little part, but I'm different in a different way, and I'll do the real big part". Otherwise, if you don't believe you're more intelligent or skillfull or imaginative than everyone else on earth, your goal would be first to learn everything you can about the matter, then work really hard, collaborate with other great professionals and scientists, and make a contribution. Not single-handedly change the landscape. But if you believe the latter is your "destiny", then you must have an actual reason on why you believe that.

Although i'm not sure how i could grade my imagination.

For what it's worth, in the Einstein quote you have in your signature, I'm pretty sure by "imagination" he didn't mean wild free-form fantasies, which is more suited to art and not science. Imagination in science and engineering is of course very important, in the sense that Einstein, for example, based much of his work on novel thought experiments, like his youth's "what would I see if I chased a light beam" or his free-fall thought experiment that initiated his work on general relativity. Those were very imaginative of course, and their value lies in that they allowed him to examine the properties of space and time, using such simple but elegant thought experiments. He didn't sit in his chair and went "what if spacetime is bended by gravity like a ball does on a trampoline surface". And as an engineer, the useful thing isn't to imagine a machine that does this and that and that other thing; that's sci-fi writing. So far, I haven't heard anything creative or imaginative from you, because you simply refuse to share, and the things you share are of the type "I want to make a JARVIS-like computer that obeys my commands". Why is that?

crap people, just let him go on with his way. for all you know in 50 years, he might be the first person to successfully create a true AI. is he naive at the moment?, yes, but someday he might buckle down and understand the actual work involved. But, seriously, what does it accomplish by running around in these circles with him, let him work on it to his own device, and stop wasting your damn time trying to tell him to stop, he's been told it a million times already, just move on and ignore him!

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

For all you know in 50 years, he might be the first person to successfully create a true AI.

I know i'm imaginative but computers need to be computers. Skynet is perfect as a sci-fi movie concept, it doesn't need to be real.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

Apple 'hit it big' because they are NOT a computer company. They are NOT a consumer electronics company. They are a fashion company.
It just so happens that the 'fashions' they sell involve electronic gadgets and gizmos.

I bet you really believe that, don't you?

Ah well, we were all young and stupid once.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement