🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Defect Reports v0.2

Started by
89 comments, last by khawk 20 years, 10 months ago
quote: Original post by Khawk
You have the sequence correct, though. I think the only thing you may be forgetting (or not knowing) is that when you select a grenade, you have a 2 second delay before it can actually fire - this means it will go through the Update() a few times before the grenade is actually thrown.
Is this the same for the gun? If I switch back, is there another 2 second delay? Also, does SetWeaponAngle take a whole update, or can I set the angle and throw in the same update?
Advertisement
I''m occaisionally getting bot-took-too-long messages in my debug run. Shouldn''t this be turned off for debug?

I like pie.
[sub]My spoon is too big.[/sub]
Aaah, nailed down my troubles with the wall. It appears that, while all other walls will be detected at 160u, the south wall will only be detected at 80u. Odd little bug.

I like pie.
[sub]My spoon is too big.[/sub]
My bot has got stuck on large rocks, twice (doesn''t matter which way my bot turns, it can''t escape). Possibly managing to get into the rock radius and not being able to get out again?

John B
The best thing about the internet is the way people with no experience or qualifications can pretend to be completely superior to other people who have no experience or qualifications.
quote: Original post by Dragon88
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but here goes. How does one fire a grenade? The code i have essentially calls SelectWeapon(WEAPON_COCKTAIL) (for some reason it doesn't work as WEAPON_GRENADE) and then Fires(), but instead of firing a grenade it just stands there.

For one, it sounds like you have the wrong version of the arena. WEAPON_GRENADE is in the latest 0.2 release. You have the sequence correct, though. I think the only thing you may be forgetting (or not knowing) is that when you select a grenade, you have a 2 second delay before it can actually fire - this means it will go through the Update() a few times before the grenade is actually thrown.

quote:
Also, is there a way to detect if u are up against the edge of the map? One more thing, why does GetObjectsInSight expect 5 parameters, while readme.txt only lists 4?

Yes and no. If you aren't getting any objects returned from GetNumObjectsInSight, then chances are you are either in a corner or at the edge, although if you're at an edge, you should get a return from GetObjectsInSight with one of the objects being a wall.

Also, if the readme.txt you have only shows 4 parameters for GetObjectsInSight, then you definitely don't have the latest arena version. Make sure to check the sticky thread for the minor update of GDArena v0.2.

I've downloaded that minor update twice, and in hasn't updated it to WEAPON_GRENADE either time, so i don't know if u uploaded the wrong file, or have a bogus link... When my bot is up against an edge, it doesn't return anything, as in 0 objects in sight, i don't know if this is because i've used the wrong update, or not... I'm gonna try the file in the other sticky thread...

EDIT: I just downloaded both of the files in the sticky threads and tried each seperately, neither of them changed WEAPON_COCKTAIL to grenade, and neither of them changed the readme to reflect the five parameters for GetObjectsInSight, i'm kinda thinking u forgot something...

EDIT2: However, my bot does throw grenades now.

EDIT3: LOL, yeah, i know. What are direction, and objDirection (in GetObjectsInSight)?

(Stolen from Programmer One)
UNIX is an operating system, OS/2 is half an operating system, Windows is a shell, and DOS is a boot partition virus

[edited by - Dragon88 on August 9, 2003 2:02:21 PM]

[edited by - Dragon88 on August 9, 2003 2:05:37 PM]

[edited by - Dragon88 on August 9, 2003 2:23:34 PM]

[edited by - Dragon88 on August 9, 2003 2:26:21 PM]
quote: I''ve downloaded that minor update twice, and in hasn''t updated it to WEAPON_GRENADE either time, so i don''t know if u uploaded the wrong file, or have a bogus link...

you will have to copy the iCore.h file into your bot''s folder and overwrite the old one !?!...

T2k
DUH! Yes, i''m pretty sure i did that, *sighs* but i guess i''ll try it again.

(Stolen from Programmer One)
UNIX is an operating system, OS/2 is half an operating system, Windows is a shell, and DOS is a boot partition virus
quote: Original post by drreagan
quote:
All grenade randomness has been removed (velocity and yaw randomness). Grenades are thrown at a constant 4.0 units/second at the pitch angle specified by the programmer.

grenade velocity is 4.0 units/second? this seems rather slow when the walking speed is 20 units/second...

That''s just initial velocity in the along the x-z axes (lateral), and actually it''s 3.0. The 4.0 is initial velocity along the y axis (up-down). Combine the two and it''s a pretty good toss.

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote: Original post by Sailorstick
You have the sequence correct, though. I think the only thing you may be forgetting (or not knowing) is that when you select a grenade, you have a 2 second delay before it can actually fire - this means it will go through the Update() a few times before the grenade is actually thrown.
Is this the same for the gun? If I switch back, is there another 2 second delay? Also, does SetWeaponAngle take a whole update, or can I set the angle and throw in the same update?

Gun is only a 0.2 second delay, which is basically the next update. SetWeaponAngle is immediate, so you can set the angle and throw in the same update.

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote: Original post by RenderTarget
I''m occaisionally getting bot-took-too-long messages in my debug run. Shouldn''t this be turned off for debug?

I like pie.

It should..

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement