🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Defect Reports v0.2

Started by
89 comments, last by khawk 20 years, 10 months ago
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but here goes. How does one fire a grenade? The code i have essentially calls SelectWeapon(WEAPON_COCKTAIL) (for some reason it doesn't work as WEAPON_GRENADE) and then Fires(), but instead of firing a grenade it just stands there. Also, is there a way to detect if u are up against the edge of the map? One more thing, why does GetObjectsInSight expect 5 parameters, while readme.txt only lists 4?

(Stolen from Programmer One)
UNIX is an operating system, OS/2 is half an operating system, Windows is a shell, and DOS is a boot partition virus

[edited by - Dragon88 on August 8, 2003 7:45:01 PM]
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Khawk
quote: Original post by smart_idiot
I''m kind of sorry for asking for that, since I know it would be a lot of changes and introduced bugs, without even a guarentee that it would help the compatibility issue.
If you really want to figure it out, then try building an app in VC++ that loads a DLL built with mingw in a manner similar to GDArena.
Good idea. I''ve put together some files for such a test. It still uses classes, but I''ve declared the member functions as __stdcall. Anyone want to test it?
I think the arena is failing to call ReleaseBotInterface() when you close it (somewhat important for me because I want to write some information out to a file on shutdown).

John B
The best thing about the internet is the way people with no experience or qualifications can pretend to be completely superior to other people who have no experience or qualifications.
Also, I think the taunt string is being delayed in both debug and release mode.

Edit: uh.. ignore this one, I hadn't tested enough. Looks like it is updating every frame as it should.

John B

[edited by - JohnBSmall on August 8, 2003 8:52:17 PM]
The best thing about the internet is the way people with no experience or qualifications can pretend to be completely superior to other people who have no experience or qualifications.
quote: Original post by Beer Hunter
quote: Original post by smart_idiot
I'm kind of sorry for asking for that, since I know it would be a lot of changes and introduced bugs, without even a guarentee that it would help the compatibility issue.
If you really want to figure it out, then try building an app in VC++ that loads a DLL built with mingw in a manner similar to GDArena.
Good idea. I've put together some files for such a test. It still uses classes, but I've declared the member functions as __stdcall. Anyone want to test it?

Initial testing looks good. I downloaded DevC++ and built the DLL using it and MSVC. I then built the test app using MSVC and had it load both DLL's, without problem! I did have to change a few things though to get MSVC to stop complaining.

More extensive testing of an interface similar to that of GameDev: Arena is under way. Results will be posted once I have them.

Update code is as follows:

// ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ifoo.hpp#ifndef IFOO_HPP#define IFOO_HPP#define CONVENTION __stdcallclass IFoo {public:	virtual int  CONVENTION getNum() = 0;	virtual void CONVENTION setNum(int blah) = 0;};#endif// ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ifoo.cpp#include "ifoo.hpp"#include <windows.h>#include <new>class CFoo: public IFoo {public:	int CONVENTION  getNum() { return num; }	void CONVENTION setNum(int blah) { num = blah; }private:	int num;};extern "C"{	__declspec(dllexport)	IFoo* CONVENTION createFoo()	{		return new (std::nothrow) CFoo;	}	__declspec(dllexport)	void CONVENTION killFoo(IFoo* foo)	{		delete foo;	}}BOOL APIENTRY DllMain (HINSTANCE hInst, DWORD reason, LPVOID reserved){    return TRUE;}

[edited by - slepyii on August 8, 2003 9:21:16 PM]
Ah, yeah. I''ve also downloaded those test files, and they seem to produce a working system (I haven''t tried any modifications)

John B
Have you tried using mingw with the minor update of GDArena v0.2? It includes the __cdecl, but I was going to try the stdcall next if that didn''t work.

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote: Original post by Dragon88
I''m not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but here goes. How does one fire a grenade? The code i have essentially calls SelectWeapon(WEAPON_COCKTAIL) (for some reason it doesn''t work as WEAPON_GRENADE) and then Fires(), but instead of firing a grenade it just stands there.

For one, it sounds like you have the wrong version of the arena. WEAPON_GRENADE is in the latest 0.2 release. You have the sequence correct, though. I think the only thing you may be forgetting (or not knowing) is that when you select a grenade, you have a 2 second delay before it can actually fire - this means it will go through the Update() a few times before the grenade is actually thrown.

quote:
Also, is there a way to detect if u are up against the edge of the map? One more thing, why does GetObjectsInSight expect 5 parameters, while readme.txt only lists 4?

Yes and no. If you aren''t getting any objects returned from GetNumObjectsInSight, then chances are you are either in a corner or at the edge, although if you''re at an edge, you should get a return from GetObjectsInSight with one of the objects being a wall.

Also, if the readme.txt you have only shows 4 parameters for GetObjectsInSight, then you definitely don''t have the latest arena version. Make sure to check the sticky thread for the minor update of GDArena v0.2.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Have you tried using mingw with the minor update of GDArena v0.2? It includes the __cdecl, but I was going to try the stdcall next if that didn''t work.
It''s working now. Thanks!
quote:
All grenade randomness has been removed (velocity and yaw randomness). Grenades are thrown at a constant 4.0 units/second at the pitch angle specified by the programmer.

grenade velocity is 4.0 units/second? this seems rather slow when the walking speed is 20 units/second...

A headache, ancillary; an hourglass auxiliary.

"something witty, blah, blah, blah"
--That One Witty Guy (remember? that one dude?)

------------------------------------------------------- A headache, ancillary; an hourglass auxiliary."something witty, blah, blah, blah" --That One Witty Guy (remember? that one dude?)(author of DustBot)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement