🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Defect Reports v0.2

Started by
89 comments, last by khawk 20 years, 10 months ago
quote: Original post by T2k
can you remove the obstacle radius from release mode? i would like to see a final-match without them

I''m just going to remove them period. I put the radius values in the readme, so for now people can reference that. I''ll make another key to view the radius when I make another one for LOS functions.

quote:
edit: walls are messed or do they work different???

They work. That''s all there is to it. A perpendicular line is drawn to the wall and the angle to the wall is based on that line. The line has to be in the bot''s FOV in order for the wall to be visible.

quote:
and where is the timeout?

It''s there.. it just lets bots go overtime.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Advertisement
quote: Original post by liquidAir
Well, first of all, I would like to say it now works on my system...
a PIII 500MHz with 256MB SDRAM and 64MB GeForce MX 400 running Win98 SE (though I had to remove the video card cos it was affecting the card for the satellite internet ) so I have to get a new system ASAP!!!

Anyway, when I tested my code (which is just sloppy, very bad path-finding algorithm), I used the taunt function to display the angle of the objects in the fov, and the distance of the object. There are times when my bot gets to the extreme end of the arena and doesn''t see anything again, not even the walls, because the fov has gone past the wall

I''ll upload my .DLL if you want to test it, please do (though, i''m not s''posed to be distributing executables... Visual C++ 6.0 Introductory Edition )

Anyway, I put it up against SampleBot, but I had to run it like 20 times, before it finally found (thanks to my path-finding algorithm, heh) and killed SampleBot YAY for me! My first AI program

Oh, and there was a time when the ammo box appeared *outside* the arena.

InitGames Software
http://initgames.t35.com/

EDIT: Oh no! Late post in wrong thread, should be moved to the former thread, sorry.

[edited by - liquidAir on August 8, 2003 5:59:21 AM]

I thought about fixing this one, but then I figured that if you are not getting any returns from GetNumObjectsInSight(), then you _have_ to be in a corner. The map has too many objects (10 rocks + 16 trees + 4 walls = 30 objects) for a winning bot to get stuck in a corner because the FOV isn''t picking up any objects.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Well then, I''ll have to find a better way to implement movement in my code, cos for most of my tries, my bot got stuck in a corner...
Is it just me or do taunts cause a "Application error" when run gdarena in debug mode... in release mode it works fine....
quote: Original post by Woodoo
Is it just me or do taunts cause a "Application error" when run gdarena in debug mode... in release mode it works fine....

Not just you.. I extended the length of taunts in debug mode, but I forgot to change one of the lines of code that needed to change. I should have an update once I get some FTP access (can''t FTP from work).

Admin for GameDev.net.

How about stopping to call the Bot->Update() Function after time is over?

...ok walls are working, iam just wondering why direction has a wrong sign!?...

T2k
quote: Original post by T2k
How about stopping to call the Bot->Update() Function after time is over?

Huh?

quote:
...ok walls are working, iam just wondering why direction has a wrong sign!?...

It''s sort of an experiment. I thought it made a little more sense to have the direction this way for walls, but I wanted to see everyone''s reaction. If people want it to be the same as the other objects, I can do that.

Admin for GameDev.net.

I had a good little battle going on and the red bots health went to 0, but the match wasn''t over! it had to get hit by a grenade again before it died, thought this was kind of strange.
Oh no! I tested my code in the GDArena 0.2, the same I used in 0.1 where it reacted almost perfectly, except for the walls. The thing now is, most of the time, it only sees the walls, but not the objects in it''s fov. You can download my bot from here and test it to see what I mean. I used the taunt function to display the object it''s currently looking at with the angle and distance. And another thing is that it doesn''t react as it did in version 0.1 Is it my code that is buggy? or it''s the Arena''s code???
quote: Original post by liquidAir
Oh no! I tested my code in the GDArena 0.2, the same I used in 0.1 where it reacted almost perfectly, except for the walls. The thing now is, most of the time, it only sees the walls, but not the objects in it's fov. You can download my bot from here and test it to see what I mean. I used the taunt function to display the object it's currently looking at with the angle and distance. And another thing is that it doesn't react as it did in version 0.1 Is it my code that is buggy? or it's the Arena's code???

hmm my code works, so its your bot (iam actually fighting with an error flooding my object-storage ;D but i think i will find it in the next 8 hours, grml... try to use the constant deltatime of 0.02222secs (see readme)

not working, hmm :D clicky
i hope the above picture is working xD

edit: Debug mode causing Timeout ("Bot took to long") xD but only on Player1, nice handicap ...

T2k

[edited by - T2k on August 8, 2003 5:12:14 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement