🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Defect Reports

Started by
150 comments, last by khawk 20 years, 11 months ago
quote: Original post by Sphet
If we can''t have wall detection, can we at least have a function to tell us whether we have moved this cycle, based on a request to move the previous update? Also, are we guaranteed to always start facing the same direction? It would be nice if we could have some ''get'' functions to get our current heading.

As I said, there is a way to detect if you are facing a wall or not. I am still leaving that open to see if anyone can actually figure it out (or whine about it).

I''ve considered a function tell if you have moved during a cycle, and actually had it in there, but I removed it before I released the interface. I want to see what people can do with limited information.

On current heading, it''s the same deal. Limited information. You don''t have a compass. Show me what you can do.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Advertisement
quote: Original post by Khawk
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
The angle given that the bot sees an object at is always positive. Shouldn''t the angles to the left of the bot be different than those to the right of it?

Which angle? And in what context?

The angle he is referring to is the one given by GetObjectsInSight in the direction variable. The value is the same whether the object is x degrees to the right or x degrees to the left. I made a post about it in the questions thread, not realizing someone had already posted it in this one...
quote: Original post by HappyDude
The angle given that the bot sees an object at is always positive. Shouldn''t the angles to the left of the bot be different than those to the right of it?

Which angle? And in what context?

The angle he is referring to is the one given by GetObjectsInSight in the direction variable. The value is the same whether the object is x degrees to the right or x degrees to the left. I made a post about it in the questions thread, not realizing someone had already posted it in this one...

Ah ok... I''ll have to look more into this one, because it should be positive/negative. My tests always gave me correct values, so I''ll have to take more time to find this one...

Admin for GameDev.net.

ya the angle thing needs some major fixing... and last time i checked its not hard to tell when i (the real-life me) walk into a wall... obviously you could check the view, and if nothings in it assume theres a wall there... but ya never know if that could occur at other times (an open patch of ground).
The debug setting in the ini file doesn''t seem to properly remove the check for timing that the readme says it does... I still get a popup saying the bot took too long when I try doing things that eat up a lot of time for debugging.
The debug setting in the ini file doesn''t seem to properly remove the check for timing that the readme says it does... I still get a popup saying the bot took too long when I try doing things that eat up a lot of time for debugging.

Did you remove the line or change it to "release"?

Admin for GameDev.net.

ya the angle thing needs some major fixing... and last time i checked its not hard to tell when i (the real-life me) walk into a wall... obviously you could check the view, and if nothings in it assume theres a wall there... but ya never know if that could occur at other times (an open patch of ground).

Finally, someone with an actual solution... btw, in all my tests, that never happened (or if it did it was very, very rare).

Admin for GameDev.net.

Did you remove the line or change it to "release"?

Ah, I had been assuming that having it set to "debug" removed the timing check, because for the "release" version we will have to follow the timing constrants - but you''re right, setting it to release turns it off fine.
Ah ok... I''ll have to look more into this one, because it should be positive/negative. My tests always gave me correct values, so I''ll have to take more time to find this one...

Damn, I found that was strange...
So I made a special algorithm to detect if the bot was turning in the good direction for nothing :\

It is the same thing for the ObjDirection...
It start from 0 to 180 and when it reach 180 it go down to 0...
For exemple, if an object is looking at 90 degrees, we don''t know if it is 90 degrees at the UP or DOWN direction...
quote: Original post by Hedos
Ah ok... I'll have to look more into this one, because it should be positive/negative. My tests always gave me correct values, so I'll have to take more time to find this one...

Damn, I found that was strange...
So I made a special algorithm to detect if the bot was turning in the good direction for nothing :
It is the same thing for the ObjDirection...
It start from 0 to 180 and when it reach 180 it go down to 0...
For exemple, if an object is looking at 90 degrees, we don't know if it is 90 degrees at the UP or DOWN direction...

Well in that case, I'll leave it and say it's another thing you have to figure out.

(not really, I'd rather have it +/-, but if I don't have time... this might be worth having another challenge)

OK, I made up my mind. I'm loving the fact that you came up with an algorithm, because that is _exactly_ the point of this contest - think. Therefore, I'm not going to fix that defect.

Sorry everyone. As I said at the beginning, this contest is meant to be difficult and to make you think. If I can make it difficult, I will.

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement