🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Defect Reports

Started by
150 comments, last by khawk 20 years, 11 months ago
quote: Original post by ToohrVyk
When called, GetObjectsInSight( 0, ... ) always returns false, even when GetObjectsInSight( 1, ... ) returns true. And also, the values passed to the function are not modified when it returns false ( but I suppose it''s normal ). Maybe a ">" vs ">=" error ?

Fixed and updated.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Advertisement
* Generate new bot, "Northerner".
* Compile bot with DevCPP 4.9.7.0.
* Copy resulting DLL into the "\bots" directory.
* Change the .ini file to include both my bot''s name and "SampleBot".
* Save .ini file.
* Start GDArena, press F5.
* Get error message: "The Memory Could not be read."

What am I doing wrong here? I''m using the new update, as well, so that can''t be it, and I haven''t added any of my code to the bot yet.

HELP!
I''d guess that it''s because you''re using Dev-C++. If I''m not mistaken, this contest was intended (for the time being) to be MS-VC++ 6.0 only.
-Sartak
Hmm, yes, that''s it. Well that''s a bit shitty on DevCPPs part, making a DLL that won''t work correctly.

This is the tale of a Northern Soul, looking to find his way back home
quote: Original post by MDI
* Generate new bot, "Northerner".
* Compile bot with DevCPP 4.9.7.0.
* Copy resulting DLL into the "\bots" directory.
* Change the .ini file to include both my bot''s name and "SampleBot".
* Save .ini file.
* Start GDArena, press F5.
* Get error message: "The Memory Could not be read."

What am I doing wrong here? I''m using the new update, as well, so that can''t be it, and I haven''t added any of my code to the bot yet.

HELP!

It could be DevCPP.. I''ve never tried compiling with it. It''s also the same type of error that I''d get if the exe wasn''t in the proper folder. It sounds like you have that covered, though.

I can really only suggest trying one of the other compilers until I can try out DevCPP. Of course, I don''t know how any of those others will act, either, until I try them out myself.

Admin for GameDev.net.

It works fine with MSVC 6.0, the popup box I get with my version is annoying, however.

I have a quick question -- is the direction returned by GetObjectsInSight supposed to always be positive? Are we left to determine which side the object is on in the viewpoint? :x
-Sartak
If we can''t have wall detection, can we at least have a function to tell us whether we have moved this cycle, based on a request to move the previous update? Also, are we guaranteed to always start facing the same direction? It would be nice if we could have some ''get'' functions to get our current heading.
quote: Original post by MDI
Hmm, yes, that''s it. Well that''s a bit shitty on DevCPPs part, making a DLL that won''t work correctly.

Yeah - I have the same problem. Win2k and Dev-Cpp don''t make for happy pals with GDArena. For some reason, the DLL created by compiling and linking the SampleBot project comes out at a whopping 488k! The (working) one in the zip file is only 80k (presumably made with MSVC++). Unfortunately WinDASM seems very picky about what it will and won''t try to disassemble on Win2k, so I can''t get a dead listing of either of the two DLLs and see where the bloat is.
Have you got debugging information included?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement