🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Requests for GDArena

Started by
66 comments, last by khawk 20 years, 10 months ago
It would be useful if you could get information on your exact position, or exactly how far you''ve actually moved since the last update, *in debug mode*. Obviously that information won''t be available in release mode, and I don''t think it should be. But it would be useful in debug mode to check that values the bot is calculating are correct.

John B
The best thing about the internet is the way people with no experience or qualifications can pretend to be completely superior to other people who have no experience or qualifications.
Advertisement
It''d be good to know the radius of the trees and rocks that you can see, to allow for better obstacle avoidance.

John B
The best thing about the internet is the way people with no experience or qualifications can pretend to be completely superior to other people who have no experience or qualifications.
I''d like to know if attempting to move fails...ie if something is blocking the bot. In real life, you may not know the lay of the land, but you definately know when you can''t move against something...also, I''ve been having problems switching between nades and gun...i had a statement like this that didn''t work: pseudocode...
if (nade_condition){    core->SelectWeapon(nade);    log("nade");}else{    core->SelectWeapon(gun);    log("gun");}core->Fire();

I would get "nade" in the log several times but the nades would not fire more than once...I don''t know why.

Brian J
DL Vacuum - A media file organizer I made | MM
Brian J
Something else that could be used to help identify who a bot belongs to is creating an Author parameter in the Register function.

- Timothy
quote: Original post by bjmumblingmiles
I''d like to know if attempting to move fails...ie if something is blocking the bot. In real life, you may not know the lay of the land, but you definately know when you can''t move against something...also, I''ve been having problems switching between nades and gun...i had a statement like this that didn''t work: pseudocode...
if (nade_condition){    core->SelectWeapon(nade);    log("nade");}else{    core->SelectWeapon(gun);    log("gun");}core->Fire();

I would get "nade" in the log several times but the nades would not fire more than once...I don''t know why.

Brian J
DL Vacuum - A media file organizer I made | MM

For the grenade/gun problem, it''s because there is a delay in selecting a grenade for your weapon and in selecting the gun for your weapon. There is also a firing rate.. 2 or 3 seconds (can''t remember at the moment) for grenades, and 0.2 seconds for the gun. This is why you might be seeing your log say "nade" many times, but only see one grenade thrown.

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote: Original post by JohnBSmall
It would be useful if you could get information on your exact position, or exactly how far you''ve actually moved since the last update, *in debug mode*. Obviously that information won''t be available in release mode, and I don''t think it should be. But it would be useful in debug mode to check that values the bot is calculating are correct.

John B

The exact position would take the fun out of it, however I think being able to get how far you traveled since the last up date would be useful. Failing that maybe just a yes/no answer to detect if the bot has moved at all since the last update (ie it hasn''t got stuck somewhere).

-J
quote: Original post by Jason2Jason
quote: Original post by JohnBSmall

John B

The exact position would take the fun out of it, however I think being able to get how far you traveled since the last up date would be useful. Failing that maybe just a yes/no answer to detect if the bot has moved at all since the last update (ie it hasn''t got stuck somewhere).

Did you read the bit that I put between asterisks for emphasis? The bit that said "in debug mode" ??? It wouldn''t take the fun out of it, because that information won''t be available when the contest is being run, and therefore could not be used in your actual AI algorithms. That information would only be available in debug mode, for use when you''re writing your bot so that you can tell whether you''re calculating values correctly.

John B
I think the bot should be able to tell whether its running in debug mode or release mode. In debug people are going to be creating output windows that can log events to the screen and display internal data structures. It would be nice if we could toggle between debug and release.

Actually, never mind. I think it would be better to just implement the differences in the debug/release versions of the project, that way I can use the debug build and distro the release build, so others can see my debug info :D
In a word... smoke bomb?

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-

Are you able to make the arena wrap-around and do away with the walls?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement