🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Requests for GDArena

Started by
66 comments, last by khawk 20 years, 10 months ago
Suggestion 2: Make it exactly like Virtual-On
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Sailorstick
Are you able to make the arena wrap-around and do away with the walls?

Thought about it in the original plan, but no need to. Wall problems have been resolved.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Well, I think the fov should be 180 degrees, that is from -90 to +90 instead of just 80 degrees (-40 to +40) considering real-life situations.

Just a suggestion. What d''you think?

InitGames Software
http://initgames.t35.com/
Suggestion: Have the map be symmetrical for both bots (axial or diagonal, maybe randomly one or the other). Ensures a fair beginning for both, instead of one bot getting screwed out of elimination because of a bad map.

I like pie.
[sub]My spoon is too big.[/sub]
quote: Original post by RenderTarget
Suggestion: Have the map be symmetrical for both bots (axial or diagonal, maybe randomly one or the other). Ensures a fair beginning for both, instead of one bot getting screwed out of elimination because of a bad map.

I like pie.

I intend to address that possibility through the contest format.

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote: Original post by liquidAir
Well, I think the fov should be 180 degrees, that is from -90 to +90 instead of just 80 degrees (-40 to +40) considering real-life situations.

Just a suggestion. What d''you think?

InitGames Software
http://initgames.t35.com/

I would, but it wouldn''t be very realistic because you can only see details at a certain fov in front of you. You can see things peripherally, but not in detail.. what I do want to do is include a small circle around the bot as part of the visibility check. Someone suggested it.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Is it possible to to have function that tells the bot the size of the arena? or Maybe you could just tell us. How many units by how many units is it?

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I''m a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project
Chaos Factor Design Document

Khawk mentioned it somewhere, I think it was 320x240.
Simple request, involved reasons:

I just upgraded GDArena, and had to regenerate the bot and merge my code in. I suspect this will have to be done multiple times, so:

I''m requesting an Allocate() global function prototype. The method would look like:
IPlayer * Allocate(); 

There would be no default implementation; the user would have to create one, looking like
IPlayer * Allocate(){  return new BotName;} 

Then QueryBotInterface() could call that for its pointer.

Why? It would ease migration from one GDArena to the next. I derive from the generated bot class in another file and do everything there. If I could just preserve the Allocate routine with that code, it would be a trivial matter to add one #include to the generated bot, copy my files, and move on.

In fact, what I''d really like is if BotName.cpp #included a file not generated by BotGen (say, AI.h), so I could just name my derived implementation that and plug it right in, no modification.

But most other folks may not do things this way, and it wouldn''t build out of the box, so I can understand not doing these. You could generate a dummy AI.h with a dummy Allocate() routine in it, just to make the example build. That file would get replaced entirely with real bot code.

All this is just to ease migration from engine to engine. Thoughts?

Thoughts?

I like pie.
Also, could the BotName.dsp file be modified to output the dll in ..\..\bin\bots instead of ..\bin\bots? Easier to just build and run.

I like pie.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement