🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Requests for GDArena

Started by
66 comments, last by khawk 20 years, 10 months ago
Yet another: The bot''s view frustrum is radially curved at a distance of 160u, or so it appears. The debug view''s output, however, shows a back plane instead of a back curve in the bot''s view frustrum. It would be helpful (at least a little) if the debug view reflected the actual frustrum.

I like pie.
[sub]My spoon is too big.[/sub]
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Khawk
quote: Original post by liquidAir
Well, I think the fov should be 180 degrees, that is from -90 to +90 instead of just 80 degrees (-40 to +40) considering real-life situations.

Just a suggestion. What d''you think?

InitGames Software
http://initgames.t35.com/

I would, but it wouldn''t be very realistic because you can only see details at a certain fov in front of you. You can see things peripherally, but not in detail.. what I do want to do is include a small circle around the bot as part of the visibility check. Someone suggested it.

Well, maybe for peripheral vision, it should be possible for the bot to respond to moving object(s) (in this case, that would be the enemy); so maybe a 80-degree fov for static objects and the 180-degree fov for dynamic object(s)...
I think you should be able to see any rocks or trees that enter your FOV, not just rocks and trees that have their centres within your FOV. The same goes for walls - if any part of a wall is in your FOV, you should be able to see it, not just if a perpendicular line is in your FOV.

Edit: A larger arena would be nice, too.

John B

[edited by - JohnBSmall on August 9, 2003 1:03:31 PM]
The best thing about the internet is the way people with no experience or qualifications can pretend to be completely superior to other people who have no experience or qualifications.
I don''t know if its been mentioned or not.
But would it possible to add a fixed seed mode, so that the arena plays the same way each time you run it? This would be helpful for debugging.

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I''m a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project
Chaos Factor Design Document

I request an energy meter or something similar. Currently there is no real reason why you would want to use slow rotate and slow walk. If you had a replenishing energy meter they could become useful.
I request ammo count in the app (at the bottom of the screen like health), and maybe part of the contest could be hit% and accurcy, or something.
Quote: Michael TanczosCut that shit out. You shouldn't be spying on other people.. especially your parents. If your dad wanted to look at horses having sex with transexual eskimo midgets, that's his business and not yours.
quote: Original post by Sailorstick
I request an energy meter or something similar. Currently there is no real reason why you would want to use slow rotate and slow walk. If you had a replenishing energy meter they could become useful.

Slow rotate lets you angle yourself more accurately, and is therefore useful for aiming.

John B
The best thing about the internet is the way people with no experience or qualifications can pretend to be completely superior to other people who have no experience or qualifications.
Request: OBJ_BIG_ROCK and OBJ_SMALL_ROCK instead of OBJ_ROCK. (Because of their different radius.)

[How To Ask Questions|STL Programmer''s Guide|Bjarne FAQ|C++ FAQ Lite|C++ Reference|MSDN]
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics: Even if you win, you're still retarded.[How To Ask Questions|STL Programmer's Guide|Bjarne FAQ|C++ FAQ Lite|C++ Reference|MSDN]
quote: Original post by dalleboy
Request: OBJ_BIG_ROCK and OBJ_SMALL_ROCK instead of OBJ_ROCK. (Because of their different radius.)

[How To Ask Questions|STL Programmer''s Guide|Bjarne FAQ|C++ FAQ Lite|C++ Reference|MSDN]

Yeah. Good for camping .

"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
Member of the Shove Pouya Off A Cliff club, SPOAC. (If you wish to join, add this line to your signature.)Member of "Un-Ban nes8bit" association, UNA (to join put this in your sig)"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
quote: Original post by ShlomiSteinberg
Yeah. Good for camping .

... and good for calculating paths...

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics: Even if you win, you're still retarded.[How To Ask Questions|STL Programmer's Guide|Bjarne FAQ|C++ FAQ Lite|C++ Reference|MSDN]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement