🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Is college a necessity?

Started by
48 comments, last by Bomberman 24 years, 2 months ago
Hell no! Don''t miss college. Otherwise you''ll miss all parties, cool people and college life. Also, drugs belong to college, right? Use em'' the but don''t become addict=)
Advertisement

It amazes me that this question still comes up! If you have the opportunity to get a college degree, then the decision is a no brainer.

Yes, in the short term it is *likely* that someone with less than 5 years experience will be bringing home a larger salary than someone fresh out of college.

However, the college graduates earning potential will likely surpass the average worker without a degree in the long run. Which, believe it or not, is what you need to be planning for.

Yeah, sure... we are laughing WITH you ...
"No employer will give you a livable salary without a degree."

Does this sound stupid to anyone else??? I don''t mean what you said Chrono, i''m sure it''s true. I mean why do companies care so much about a degree. Wouldn''t it be smarter to look at "small" things like skill, talent, speed, hard worker, can work with a team, etc. and base pay off that? or am I just crazy. If I were an employer I would much rather trust my own judgement of thier skills instead of a college''s.

Well I do think I will get a degree later, as I said in my second post, I don''t have the money. Since pay is about the only thing anyone has said about being bad if I don''t go to college, what is the pay for a 3D artist/animator with or without a degree? Surely it can''t be so low that I can''t live on it. I''ve seen things like $90,000 a year and such on job offerings, so do you consider it low pay earning $50,000? Just wondering. And thanks for all your replys.
hmm, strange, says my post is anonymous, and i''m logged on. well, it''s from me, Bomberman
It''s not a neccesary! However, in reality, nothing is truely a neccesity. You can choose not to eat or drink ever again. However, there will be consequences (i.e. death). Everything in life is that way. You don''t have to do (or not do) anything, but there will always be a consequence if you don''t (or do).
Always good to have something to fall back on.

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy." - The Shining
"...If I were an employer I would much rather trust my own judgement of thier skills instead of a college''s "

... That''s gotta be the stupidest thing I''ve ever heard. You''d rather go on ''gut instinct'' and pick someone who "might be good with graphics", than someone who went to college and got 100% in their art class? Actually, don''t go to college. You don''t have enough brains to pass the courses, let alone get there.

PS- I didn''t mean that, but go to college damnit; And don''t say such stupid stuff like that.

GO LEAFS GO!
3D Math- The type of mathematics that'll put hair on your chest!
Game companies don''t care about degrees.

Game companies care about skills.

Do whatever you think will teach you relevant skills.

A good demo reel will get you invited to an interview, degree or no degree.

A degree won''t get you invited to an interview, without a good demo reel.

I''ve never seen a degree help anyone make a game. I''ve seen skills help people make games.

I have a degree, but it didn''t get me hired.

$0.02
Heh, ya, that did come out sounding kind of dumb Fredric. I meant for a person who has been working for awhile and proven themselves, but they still don''t get a raise becuase of not having a degree as said by Mordell and Eternal Chrono.
Okay, I don''t quite understand why you WOULDN''T want to go to college. As stated before, all the parties and cool people and such are at college. Also, I think it''d be a good transition from being at home, living under your parents'' supervision, etc. to living in your own house, with no one watching you all the time, making sure you don''t accidentally kill yourself (thank God for parents!). I''m 16 right now (17 in about a week--hooray! R-rated movies w/OUT getting around the people who enforce stupid laws), and I can''t wait to go to college (if I can get in, somehow). Besides, college''ll be four (or more...) extra years in which, without having to work a full-time job, I can learn more about game programming, and put together a demo-disk or such before I''m thrown to the sharks.

P h a n t a s m
"Through dreams I control mankind."
--Legend
Phantasm

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement