🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Virtual GDC

Started by
62 comments, last by max621 24 years, 3 months ago
I mean, like lpsoftware. I''m guessing LP Software is a company, and would like to sign up to represent theirselves as a company on the VGDC. But individual developers can sign up too. For example, the CrystalSpace 3D engine developers could all sign up under the CrystalSpace company, and than they all would be in a single booth, but thats up to the choice of the people.
||--------------------------||Black Hole Productionshttp://bhp.nydus.netResident expert on stuffmax621@barrysworld.com||--------------------------||
Advertisement
I recently attended an e-commerce exhibition here in Seoul, and a company called dadaexpo had set up a booth displaying their virtual reality architecture. One of the areas they had online was a virtual representation of the exhibition floor. dadaexpo is a Korean startup, but the software they used was made in America. You guys might want to check it out here.

Good Luck!
Definetly an interesting concept, I wouldn''t use VRML though, no view optimization. is a VERY bad thing. In fact I won''t use any type of 3D space.... I just feel that seeing a couple of dozen avatars in 3D space lagging around isn''t nice. But then again VRML is probably the only cross platform 3D we can count on.... unless someone wants to run a QuakeWorld or Unreal server

-------------------------
-Now Working on Pokemon like Engine!
Cool! My ICQ is 62426148, but I don''t use it very much.. Anyway, I told my brother about this, and he liked the idea very much. We then started thinking about the possibilities to make it a 3D virtual environment, something like a networked game, where you would have this conference area with the booths, and a place where some bigger things, like the "oscar awards" for the games would take place, some cafeterias, and so on.. I know we got a little too far in this thinking, but you have to agree this kind of 3D world would be cool.. And maybe, if we got enough people doing it, it would be possible.. I''m really not a 3D genious, but I know something about network stuff and lots about 2D things and general programming.

If we want to do as a web page, I''d be more than happy to work on the web technology (cgi''s and stuff). And my brother, Lauri, is a great artist who could do 3D modeling, or web graphics or whatever.

Jarkko
This response has been cool... and no problem in thinking huge, I think of game ideas that would take 30 servers to run one infinite game with 1000''s of players and many teams... too bad we IGD(independant game developers) don''t have that kinda budget Though if EVERYONE here combined to make that, like a opensource project, and people accutally worked on it, it could happen.. Arg I went off topic... I think we should stick with a web based for the first time. I also think we should have this event start on a Friday, and end on a Sunday during a 1 week period. That way lots of viewers can be directed to it.
||--------------------------||Black Hole Productionshttp://bhp.nydus.netResident expert on stuffmax621@barrysworld.com||--------------------------||
Okay.. I think it''s good to start a little smaller, I mean the web thing is OK. And then, if this gets lots of attention and people like it, maybe then make something bigger, like a full 3D environment - or why not 2D.. But anyway..

In the web interface, how would we make the interaction work? Would the place be full of little discussion forums, or should there be some chat rooms, or what? Then again, the booths would probably be simpler to do, but of course they should be well integrated in this interaction thing..

And, the one week period would be OK, because as it''s in the web, people won''t be coming there all at the same time, like in a real (non-virtual) conference. But when would this be? Should we start working on it?

Jarkko
Each ''entity'' can have a page/booth, there can be a main entrance page where you see a ''map'' of the entire exhibition. Conferences and such could be held on free, or if possible regulated IRC channels.

Well, that''s what I think is one way of doing it.

I was thinking of having all the chats on IRC channels. Do you think we should have everyone who wants to attend register and log in when they come on? We should start working on this ASAP. If this gets any intrest from our crude interactivity, we could design our own chatting program using directplay or TCP/IP. If we made a web browser integrated we could integrate the chat program... we could have real world sponsors so we can get a domain name (anyone want to donate one??). We don''t neccessaryly need a domain name, we could use one of those redirection services to go to a IP #... We would also need mirror servers (in case 1000 people show up on a small server).
BTW, any individuals or companies have any technologies theyd like to donate? Like some sort of 2D animation system, or something. Mainly I''m looking for something "cool" for the site. Maybe we should do a Flash interface, but that would make it harder to create the pages unless we create them.. argh I''m going on too much
About having the chats on IRC channels, that''s fine, but if we use irc, we should also have some kind of IRC clients at the web site (Java stuff). No problem really as we could probably even use some existing stuff to do theat. I think it would be good that people would register (for free of course), so that they would appreciate the thing little more -> they would behave ..

>We should start working on this ASAP.

I agree.

And yes, we could design our own chatting program - If we did it in directplay, I''d already have some experience in it (not much though).

What do you mean by "a web browser integrated"? It sounds interesting, but I don''t quite understand the term :/

The sponsors would be cool, but do you think any company would want to sponsor this thing. Hey, maybe they could even donate the server space..

>BTW, any individuals or companies have any technologies
>theyd like to donate? Like some sort of 2D animation
>system, or something.

Well.. I have some CGI stuff you can check at www.jyu.fi/~jalaine/ and a DirectDraw 2D engine, wich is actually quite OK.

Jarkko
i was reading this with much attention and thinking of ways of doing it, in my oppinion, forget abotu 3d engines, etc etc etc.

since a GDC would take many ppl with lots of floor etc etc
why not make a tile based expo and whenever someone walked up to someone he coudl chat with him, or he could go to a both and then show up in 3d or 2d images with animation, etc...

i think this is the best way to do it !
It's good to be an outcast, you don't need to explain what you do, you just do it and say you don't belong there.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement