🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Virtual GDC

Started by
62 comments, last by max621 24 years, 3 months ago
How about using Macromedia Shockwave? Heard that it is
pretty easy stuff like that in Director - fast loading shock wave-compressed sound with stunning graphics. Besides that,
you can easily create an online chat forum with some Lingo
scripting. I am not promoting Macromedia here in case you
are wondering, it is just that I have reading up on Director
and I see it has a lot of potential =)

Best regards,
Sherman
_________________ Best regards, Sherman Chin Director Sherman3D (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd www.Sherman3D.com www.AlphaKimori.com
Advertisement
When I mean integrated browser, I mean a program with our own TCP/IP or dplay (is there a SDK for IRC?) for the chat, and all the grapix options like 3D or 2D tileing(good idea) or flash/shockwave(also cool idea...)
||--------------------------||Black Hole Productionshttp://bhp.nydus.netResident expert on stuffmax621@barrysworld.com||--------------------------||
Yep. I think a 2D tiled world would be actually quite good. At least a lot easier than a 3D world, both to create and to use, and a lot better than a normal web thingy. I''d go for that. It would be actually quite easy to do, if we used DirectDraw for the graphics (I can donate my tile engine if you like it and then DirectPlay for the networking.

Maybe it could be so that each partisipiant (or whatever would have to select one of the possible "player figures" and a unique user name. And then they could move around this world and have their name written on top of them. And when they would be close enough to other people they could chat with them.. And then there could of course be some special rooms for the lectures where everyone in the room would here what the lecturer would say and what the people next to him/her were saying.. Something like that..

Flash could be cool too, but I don''t know that much about it.. Can it be used to create something like this?

Jarkko
So, how does everyone think of the 2D idea? I think having like a RTS interface (left mouse click/move/select..right mouse deselect) would be nice, and you could click on a door or something... But I''m not sure if we should draw everybody... maybe just the "important" people and the person you play, but you can''t see anyone else (for bandwidth and speed...)
||--------------------------||Black Hole Productionshttp://bhp.nydus.netResident expert on stuffmax621@barrysworld.com||--------------------------||
What if, an impossible case I know, someone doesn''t have Windows on their machine but wants to participate,....
joeG
They can use their webbrowser
Thats why I say we should stick to HTML, XML, CGI, and ASP (and any others) for the whole thing!
Like me

But i have a PC for cases like this, so who cares

Okay.. If we use the web browser, we won''t be able to do this tile based thing, I think.. But, hey, how about a CGI based tile engine - yes.. It would be a little slow, but possible.. Not too good though. I don''t know, of course non-windows people should be able to assist.. So, how to do that. Are there any good crossplatform libraries to use? For the graphics and networking I mean..

Jarkko
Hey, are you guys forgetting this little thing called Java? Someone could write a servelet and Java clients, have it communicate with a browser window to display information, wiola cross platform tile based expo software.... then we can sell it!

-------------------------
-Now Working on Pokemon like Engine!
-------------------------
-Now Working on Pokemon like Engine!
Java! That''s something.. I really forgot about it. Just a small applet thing with a tilebased world and the communication stuff, shouldn''t be too hard to write in java as it has lots of great classes in it already.

But I think we could draw more people than you and the "important" people.. Maybe if we devided the world in small rooms (that can have 10 people in them) and then drew all the people in the same room with the user..

Jarkko

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement