Advertisement

Timing

Started by March 16, 2000 02:08 PM
2 comments, last by Shadwdrak 24 years, 6 months ago
I am confused with a timeing issue. I understand how games can be limited to a set ammount of fps, and made to run at one speed. What I dont get is how programs can run a a certain speed but at any frame rate. I was playing half-life yesterday and noticed my fps ranging from 15fps - 120fps. The game was playable and didnt feel any different from around 30fps up. When it dropped below it became jerky but gave me basically the same effect. So my question specifically is, how can you set a game timer without effecting the frame rate??? -Shadwdrak
This is just a general guess, but I would suspect that the frame rate is dynamicaly created based on how many poly''s per sec the video card the user has can push.
Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.
Advertisement
Another way of achieving this effect is to use a time parameter in your physics engine which will update the world based on how long it took to render the last frame. This way, no matter what FPS the game is running at, the action will still be at the same speed
Thanks guys, for the above posts. After reading your posts it all clicked in my head.

=P

-Shadwdrak

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement