Advertisement

Is C++ Rocket Science?

Started by February 06, 2000 06:17 PM
21 comments, last by Fredric 24 years, 7 months ago
If you think you can program, do it. Anybody can. I started when I was 11 (BASIC) then when I was 12 went for C++. But you will need to be willing to dedicate a lot to it.

altair
altair734@yahoo.com
crawlegend.iwarp.com
altairaltair734@yahoo.comwww.geocities.com/altair734
I just don''t get why everyone seems to think that rocket science is difficult
Advertisement
Nice one Alex, rocket science isn''t difficult hehehe...

No, C++ is not difficult to learn - putting it into *good* practise is - and unless your damn smart, this comes mainly with experience. I started with computers when I was around 6, and for a long time I tinkered with them on the hardware side of things before I (finally) got onto programming at 12. I''ve been learning a whole buncha languages over the last 4 years - C, C++, asm, pascal and a little bit of basic - get all the knowledge you can and then apply it, it''s no good sitting there with the ability to do something - you gotta go and DO IT.

phew, that was a long chip in...

Take it easy,

-Mezz
Rocket science? Nope. I made my first game entirely in C++ when I was 14.

It does take a lot of time to master C++ - nine years later, I''m still learning new stuff about it... but there''s no reason why you can''t learn C++ by making simple games.

Just don''t expect to make the next Unreal, and you''ll be OK.

Mason McCuskey
Spin Studios - home of Quaternion, 2000 GDC Indie Games Fest Finalist!
www.spin-studios.com
Founder, Cuttlefish Industries
The Cuttlefish Engine lets anyone develop great games for iPad, iPhone, Android, WP7, the web, and more!
I started programming in C++ when I was 14 and it was great! It was not difficult at all and I only had some BASIC background. I think C++ is a great language to start with =) All the best! If you need help, don''t hesitate to contact me =)

Best regards,
Sherman
_________________ Best regards, Sherman Chin Director Sherman3D (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd www.Sherman3D.com www.AlphaKimori.com
I think that people that have a lot of trouble learning to program may have a problem with dedication, not smarts. Anyone can learn to program, but it takes dedication to become really good at programming. I learned C from a book when I was 16 and wrote programs, and I thought I was a good programmer. Fastfoward to College, my first C++ class tought me that I wasn''t so good. Now im a junior and have taken a battery of computer science classes and now I think im just an ok programmer. I learn more every day. So, stay dedicated, don''t get a big head, and learn all you can because there is so much to learn!! Oh yeah, and have fun...If it stops being fun its not worth it.

Mike BarelaMikeB@yaya.com
Advertisement
Just like lots of things, "Easy to learn/use, hard to master", As I say it
Reiterating what everyone else has been saying. Syntax fairly easy to grasp at from 12 up. Efficient algorithms equals hard.
ECKILLER
C++ may be hard to get started but how ever old you are...but as soon as you started to understand the basics your in buisness and thing progress very fast. Knowing a simpler language can be a massive boost...not basic because its not in the c style if you know what I mean although its still a good experience...try PASCAL
I think any language, including basic, teaches you the same basic things. Almost all languages have variables, if/then, loops, goto, and function calls. (Basic uses gosub)

Once you learn the syntax, you''ll find that most languages are the same. How hard is the syntax for C++? Not hard.

BTW: Why does everyone say Assembly is hard to learn? It''s just like any other language, you just need to keep one command per line, and handle any "typecasting" youself.

E:cb woof!
E:cb woof!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement