🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Is it still safe to use Unity?

Started by
21 comments, last by Tom Sloper 1 year, 9 months ago
Advertisement

There are plenty of good reasons not to use Unity. This is just another one added to the pile. Why should this be the straw that breaks the camel's back for you?

a light breeze said:

There are plenty of good reasons not to use Unity. This is just another one added to the pile. Why should this be the straw that breaks the camel's back for you?

Why increasing uncertainty further without adding any arguments to help a decision?

Likely ha has already invested a lot of time in learning Unity or even in making a game. So what are those reasons?

Anytime you build on a foundation of closed source commercial software, you run the risk of the vendor pulling the rug out from under you, the risk of unfixed critical bugs, the risk of inadequate documentation, and the risk of the software simply not being suitably for your purpose. Doubly so if you rely on the free version of that commercial software. In the specific case of Unity, I seem to recall a discussion on this very website some time ago about the Unity legal team hassling small indie users of the free version of Unity to try to get them to upgrade to the paid version.

And then there are the actual technical limitations with Unity. They're fairly well documented and should be well understood by all users of Unity, so I assume that the original poster (as a user of Unity) knows a lot more about them than I do (since I don't use Unity). Let's just say that on a purely technical level, I don't consider Unity a good match for my needs.

I'm not saying that Unity is necessarily a bad choice either, but there is definitely a risk to hitching your wagon to a commercial closed-source engine, and there's nothing new about this risk. Either you're willing to take that gamble or you're not.

JoeJ said:

BradleyAuerbach said:

@JoeJ Also, one of the developers said you won't be able to make a living off of game development without using IronSource I think. They even insulted those who don't use it or similar tools using a bad word.

You'd need to post links to such claims so people can see the sources to comment on them.

Not knowing anything about that, i can only say: It's 2022. According to somebody, everybody is an idiot. Epic games Launcher contains spyware so China can read our minds. Earth is actually flat. James Webb Telescope confirmed aliens. Musk is an AI bot sent from the future.
Choose the truth you prefer, or accept uncertainty is our only true option.

What?

I'm in the wrong year!!!

Quick I need to go back to the future…

I thought of this before I saw the video, which is very concerning indeed.

The issue in the vid is perfectly illustrated by how I never came across it and never would have since the game is usually not my thing.

But back on topic.

Ya, it should be safe.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

GeneralJist said:
I thought of this before I saw the video, which is very concerning indeed.

I realize the problem maybe for 5 years, working at home, perceiving the global world mainly from the internet.
Initially i did not understand things like angry gamers, raging against ‘forced social justice’ just because there was a woman on the cover of a Battlefield game. But now i do.
It does not matter what's right or wrong. The process is classic: Groups of differing ideologies form and start a war against each other. Within their group, the members confirm each other to take the right side and action. They are active, they contribute, they matter, they feel important. Nowadays, due to internet, such movements are often decentralized and their interests may be of little importance. But the more people talk about it, the more important they seemingly become. And in our information age, attention is currency and proof of truth. Influencers of any kind woo about it, and - aware or unaware - are ready to do anything to get it. We get a confused, distracted, sycophancy driven society, arguing mainly about bullshit.

Is this dangerous? Not sure. But i notice how strongly creative industries are affected, up to the point where creativity is no longer possible.
We try to avoid taking side in the best case. But even then, we may feel forced to confirm to what seems the general opinion and trend. It's time to have some female heroes in games for the girls? Sure. Why not make all heroes female then, or better - black females with dreadlocks. Average looking, no supermodels, so the gamer girls don't feel like they should look like supermodels. Backlash - accusing us to pander SJW, supporting woke culture, etc. They even accuse us from the other side to be hypocritical because our game studio consists mainly of white males, if occasionally that's the case.
So we can't win. And we may decide to ignore the topic. We continue to use some hot female models in daring outfits, to please the eyes of our male gamers. But then they accuse us to be old fashioned, that we just fail to grow up, supporting sexist tropes, etc.
Does not work either. So we make games where you actually can not tell if our characters are boys or girls at all. Which - of course - does not work either.

Now i ask you: How should we entertain anybody, if we are not allowed to make a joke about anybody else?
How should we tell stories within our restricted options, if we are not allowed to use exaggerations, cliches, stereotypes, etc?
To me, the answer is simply what i want anyway: Stop targeting mainstream. Make a game that only a smaller cut of the audience might love, instead trying to make a game which everybody should agree with. The market is big enough, i would guess.

Well, we'll see. Maybe the growing overall confusion causes the next social war.
But maybe, just maybe - people will finally realize that ideology is something personal, and should not define / hinder politics and economy of all.
Maybe, at some point, people will realize it's all bullshit, and there is nothing to follow. : )

Joej , can you explain what does that have to do with UNITY ??? UNITY will explode this year, just wait and see,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111

Programmer71 said:
UNITY will explode this year, just wait and see,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111

hey… let Unity live. I'm from Europe. We want to contribute some things to games as well, and Unity is our biggest pride. <:)

I am from Europe too, and I pride myself to be the UNITY fan #1 , the next few months will be very important for UNITY, just wait and see, this will blow up your mind

What's your plan?
Advertising a newcomer engine with the slogan ‘Scripting some ECS still too hard for you? Use this instead…’ ?
hmmm… could work.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement