🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Which game engine should I use to develop a game with SimCity-mobile-like graphics?

Started by
11 comments, last by SibylSystem 3 years, 5 months ago

Hi, I'm thinking of a game with SimCity-mobile-like graphics where you can move around by touch to see and interact with your city and environment. The game will be much shorter because it will have a timer that forces you to build things, and it will be a contest among the users to develop as much as possible before the time runs out.

EDIT: Flor clarity, I'm leaning towards Unity now, and I'm envisioning my game to look a lot like 'Islanders' on Steam. Not knowing anything about Unity, my question is can this type of game be rendered and constructed using a game engine like Unity by importing assets from Blender?

Advertisement

Given the forum you posted in, how exactly is this a suggestion for the gamedev.net site?

As for your question, my first guess is that any engine that speaks the programming language you want to use, and produces an executable for mobile is fine.

Alberth said:
Given the forum you posted in, how exactly is this a suggestion for the gamedev.net site?

Moved from the wrong forum to the correct forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Unity seems to have good mobile support. I like Unreal, but it is very bloated and maybe not the best choice for mobile.

Godot would seem a good choice for a simple 2D game like this.

In general, I think Unity is a great place to start. There are certainly other alternatives, but it's easy to start with and there are tons of resources for budding game developers/designers.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

I'd say it depends a lot on how you want to make it. Do you want to start from scratch or use 3rd party assets? Also how new to game development are you? Unity has a great assets store if you are planning on going that route. Lots of great guides and documentation as well.

None

@OddBall-GameDev

Hi, thanks for the reply. I plan to import assets from Blender. Do you think this is a good way to start?

I've been using Blender quite a bit, but I don't know any coding and most definitely not anything about Unity.

My game will look a lot like 'Islanders' when finished. I'm asking my question because I don't know how my game could look like or if Unity is capable of doing what I want it to do. Do you think I can accomplish this in Unity?

@futureplay Unity is definitely capable. You will just have to learn C# though unless you try one of the many visual scriptings plugins. A big part of choosing an engine is also the programming language. Godot uses a “python-like language” and Unreal uses a visual scripting language called blueprints that doesn't require any coding. BuildBox is another engine that uses visual scripting but I haven't tried it and don't know too much about it. I personally use Unity so can vouch that there are a lot of tutorials to get you started.

None

@OddBall-GameDev

I heard about Unreal's blueprints, but I'm also hearing that there's a very steep learning curve for Unreal and that it's better to start off with C# and Unity. Would you agree?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement