🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Sound file requirements for 3D room sound.

Started by
3 comments, last by kellerkindrecords 3 years, 8 months ago

Hello folks!

I am an audio designer and I would like to create sounds for all kinds of game worlds. Can you please give me some tips on what technical requirements you have for sound files to create a realistic 3D room sound?

Here are my considerations so far:

While most of the sounds are placed as mono single loops in the 3D environment, I'm not sure what GameDev's requirements are for the background noise of a static room sound to create the best possible 3D result. Is this also only a mono loop or are several signals placed in the room?

Thanks a lot and stay healthy!

Alex

Advertisement

Is this also only a mono loop or are several signals placed in the room?

This really depends on the setting. Say, for example, in a room there was an air conditioning unit in one corner and a small radio playing very softly in an opposite corner. You'd want to place those sounds with proper attenuation roll offs to make it sounds realistic as the player moves around in that space. The more objects creating sounds (and the type of sounds they're making) will greatly influence how you need to set these things up.

Hope that helps,

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Hi!

As nsmadsen has already mentioned, mono audio sources are placed in the 3D environment and create a three-dimensional sound image in the engine. The same applies to third-party programs such as FMOD. The most effective way to create a complex sound scenery is a static room tone within the map and many individual audio sources in the environment. Adjustments like reverb, occlusion, low-pass/ high-pass are traditionally controlled in the games engine by trigger-zones or reverb-zones to create the physical sound properties for indoor/ outdoor scenarios.

Adaptive wishes,
Timo

Thanks a lot guys!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement