🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Has the coronavirus outbreak impacted you at all?

Started by
83 comments, last by Tom Sloper 3 years, 11 months ago

2 weeks ago people here went to the doctor, having flu and being worried. He said: No tests now, we are instructed to save resources for later when we really need them. Go home it's just the flu. Now the doctor is in quarantine. He never was that healthy - i hope he makes it…

It seems no government did it right. Take a look at the numbers in Switzerland - they are so smart usually.

But maybe there was just never a chance to stop it.

Advertisement

It was there (Taiwan shown everyone how to do it), yet all EU governments failed miserably (and Brussels too … who is now somewhat silent after stating for weeks that “Borders must be kept open”).

But at this point, no there is no chance to stop it, and slowing it down may hurt more - once enough people is cured the crowd immunity will work (so yes - we will all most likely get infected, especially when living in cities … you can blame me for this being easier said for me, when I'm the least risk group due to age). Sadly it is going to be extremely hard to treat thousands of critical cases without enough equipment.

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

Yea, parts of the US are going into lockdown as well. There’s a curfew in New Jersey too. I wonder how long this will last.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

@deltakshatriya At least you do know that you have curfew, so you know when to walk dog, when to go shopping, etc. Currently we have nothing except leak of proposed regulation (which was already said to be incorrect). It is 10:37pm and new regulations should start in 1 hour 23 minutes.

This whole government is absolute disaster… the curfew satirically commented by our media will work as following:

At 6 AM I get up to get into work by public transportation (parking zones in cities disallow me to use car), in full bus I will get to work, where in factory work there are hundreds of people, then I use factory restaurant, and go on working in main building. After the work I use public transportation to get home. In the evening one of the family goes shopping. Once I'm back I can open my beer and enjoy quarantine until the morning. Over the whole day I of course must not wear any respirator to not spread panic.

Now this is not all… (short summary from past weeks in Czechia):

• There are no respirators or veils, selling them is banned by law. Government banned this about a month back, and sent their reserves to China and apparently Nigeria … by this I don't mean I can't get them, medical staff can't get them.
  • Our companies who offered making them (2M a day, offered 3 days back for material cost) were turned down, because they have to deliver them from China (and the whole 5 million pieces that should have been delivered tomorrow were stolen somewhere)
  • If you wear respirator or veil in your work, you will most likely get fired for spreading panic
  • You will not get tested for COVID-19 disease unless you literally were in Italy in Lombardy. Even though there are numerous cases of disease transferred human-to-human already here, because tests are too expensive (you can pay it yourself for over EUR 200 … about 25% of average net income here)
  • Laboratory which offered tests for less than EUR 20 was completely banned from testing people, because they apparently didn't do proper “anal climbing” into our PM ass. Seriously this has happened.
  • Our PM wants to pass law about owning of other companies tomorrow, which would hide his ownership of huge food concern for which he gives most of EU donations we receive (which apparently he can't - as it is conflict of interests).
  • Our PM stated that member of media (who never travelled abroad in past 3 months) is a liar that they refused to test him in hospital … they indeed did (he recorded it), and sent him home through public transportation. 2 days later (today) he tested positive after putting whole case to media.
  • Our minister of foreign affairs proposed lock down on 2nd March, our PM said that we won't cause panic due to “some flu” and cancelled his request … 10 days later he does lock down and present himself in media as messiah.
  • PM force cancelled any protests against him (there were over 1M people last year multiple times protesting him)

There is a lot more smaller s**t going on in here. Honestly I fear there will be a violent revolution once the virus situation is over.

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

@deltaKshatriya More time to work on my sim design!

Vilem Otte said:

@deltakshatriya At least you do know that you have curfew, so you know when to walk dog, when to go shopping, etc. Currently we have nothing except leak of proposed regulation (which was already said to be incorrect). It is 10:37pm and new regulations should start in 1 hour 23 minutes.

This whole government is absolute disaster… the curfew satirically commented by our media will work as following:

At 6 AM I get up to get into work by public transportation (parking zones in cities disallow me to use car), in full bus I will get to work, where in factory work there are hundreds of people, then I use factory restaurant, and go on working in main building. After the work I use public transportation to get home. In the evening one of the family goes shopping. Once I'm back I can open my beer and enjoy quarantine until the morning. Over the whole day I of course must not wear any respirator to not spread panic.

Now this is not all… (short summary from past weeks in Czechia):

• There are no respirators or veils, selling them is banned by law. Government banned this about a month back, and sent their reserves to China and apparently Nigeria … by this I don't mean I can't get them, medical staff can't get them.
  • Our companies who offered making them (2M a day, offered 3 days back for material cost) were turned down, because they have to deliver them from China (and the whole 5 million pieces that should have been delivered tomorrow were stolen somewhere)
  • If you wear respirator or veil in your work, you will most likely get fired for spreading panic
  • You will not get tested for COVID-19 disease unless you literally were in Italy in Lombardy. Even though there are numerous cases of disease transferred human-to-human already here, because tests are too expensive (you can pay it yourself for over EUR 200 … about 25% of average net income here)
  • Laboratory which offered tests for less than EUR 20 was completely banned from testing people, because they apparently didn't do proper “anal climbing” into our PM ass. Seriously this has happened.
  • Our PM wants to pass law about owning of other companies tomorrow, which would hide his ownership of huge food concern for which he gives most of EU donations we receive (which apparently he can't - as it is conflict of interests).
  • Our PM stated that member of media (who never travelled abroad in past 3 months) is a liar that they refused to test him in hospital … they indeed did (he recorded it), and sent him home through public transportation. 2 days later (today) he tested positive after putting whole case to media.
  • Our minister of foreign affairs proposed lock down on 2nd March, our PM said that we won't cause panic due to “some flu” and cancelled his request … 10 days later he does lock down and present himself in media as messiah.
  • PM force cancelled any protests against him (there were over 1M people last year multiple times protesting him)

There is a lot more smaller s**t going on in here. Honestly I fear there will be a violent revolution once the virus situation is over.

I've heard Europe is getting pretty bad in general. Didn't realize that this was how bad it was in some areas. Who is this PM? I hope you guys get through alright! It seems like Europe is peaking right now.

Here in the US it's only just started. We are probably going to be peaking next month. I've heard rumors that the whole US will be going into quarantine mode potentially.

Schools have closed in Alberta. The office is encouraging everyone to work from home.

Well they are now saying this could last for months. I'm not sure how people are going to manage in isolation for that long. At least, I know I am going to find this very difficult.

Sheeeeeeeeep

It will last until we either develop a vaccine or find an efficent treatment. Since we cannot eradicate the disease completely that is our only hope. Or we just accept our fate and let 200 million people die.

Btw. how do I unsubscribe from this topic?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement