🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Matching function signatures and member vars

Started by
4 comments, last by LorenzoGatti 2 days, 11 hours ago

Hi all,

First some context; I started in a situation where I had a typedef uint in a forced include file, meaning I used uint throughout my whole codebase, when I wanted a uint32t. But I decided to get rid of them. So what I did is replace them all by either unsigned int or uint32_t in certain cases.

Now the challenge is, the compiler won’t tell the difference between them, so it won’t notify me of any mistakes in say function interface in a header versus implementation in the cpp. Same for class member vars and potential casts.

My question is, is there a way to identify any faults in this whole conversion? I thought of temporary changing the uint32t typedef in cstdint, but that feels a bit risky.

Any ideas?

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

Advertisement

Since you are only writing about the unsigned version, maybe search for the standalone word “unsigned”?

More complicated, but many tools support a regular expression search. A careful construction could find them if the signature is on a single line, rather than one parameter per line as some people format them.

I remember talks about you changing it on chat - so basically what the current state is that you may have instances where you use unsigned int in declaration and uint32_t in definition (or vice-versa)…

Your proposed change may work, but you will hit problems when editing either stdint.h or cstdint (keep in mind, BOTH of these define it). I personally would refrain from editing stdlib or libc headers (as it may bury you in warnings & errors not relevant to the code you want to update).

Doing that manually (especially in Visual Studio - where you can go to declaration/definition) might be preferred.

If the code base is huge you could write a python script (or maybe a regex would be enough … not sure though?) to match methods by name and report you where they differ. No automated solution though, you'd have to write it by hand.

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

Add a few typedefs to move your good cases out of the way, eg “typedef uint32_t xyz;” Make sure that"xyz" is not something you already have (eg “ag xyz” should not give you any hits), so you can do a mass replacement back to the correct name without thinking.

then you can look for eg “int” etc. Obviously you'll hit the typedefs as well, but those are then easy to ignore.

Note: “ag” is like “grep”, except it's much faster

You might be able to avoid gratuitous mass changes and ensure peaceful coexistence of headers with tests

assert(sizeof(uint)==sizeof(uint32_t)); 
assert(sizeof(uint32t)==sizeof(uint32_t));

and macros

#ifdef uint
	assert(sizeof(uint)==sizeof(uint32_t)); 
#else
	#define uint uint32_t
#endif

and typedefs

typedef uint uint32;

in a small include file of your own, to be placed after library includes in order to “normalize” the set of available types in your own code.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Advertisement